PDA

View Full Version : Man cited for illicit snow shoveling

Teh One Who Knocks
01-10-2014, 12:46 PM
The Journal Star

In the annals of Peoria crime, Doug Haley probably won't become infamous as The Mad Shoveler.

But he does stand accused of an unusual charge: essentially, reckless snow-shoveling. Sunday, a police officer wrote him a citation for violating a city ordinance by throwing snow into the street in front of his house. The pending fine: $100.

"I was pretty upset," Haley says.

The scene of the crime is Far North Peoria. For almost a decade, Haley has lived in the 7300 block of Manning Drive with his wife and four kids.

About nine years ago, he got into a small spat with a neighbor regarding a construction permit. It wasn't a major dust-up, but the two have remained cool to each other ever since.

Saturday, after snow fell, his wife and kids went outside, "shoveling and playing," Haley says. His adversarial neighbor became miffed when one of Haley's boys apparently flung snow far off the Haley property.

"Hey, keep your snow on your side of the street," the neighbor yipped.

The next morning, as the powder piled up, Haley shoveled his driveway. He hurled most of the snow onto either side of the driveway. But, as he cleared the base of the driveway, he "scattered" a little snow into the street, he says.

He didn't think it was a big deal — or illegal — because the city had yet to plow the street, covered with maybe 6 inches of snowfall. Plus, he says, it's not as if he heaped snow into a roadway mountain.

"There was never an obstruction," he says. "It wasn't as if the neighbors couldn't get out of their driveway."

But one of those neighbors — Haley isn't sure who, but he's got a good guess — called police to officially complain about Haley's scofflaw shoveling strategy. The next day, an officer rolled up and knocked on the door to ask Haley is he'd done any illicit shoveling lately.

Perhaps Haley should've clammed up and called an attorney specializing in snow-removal law. Instead, Haley asked a very good question: how could police prove which snow came from his driveway?

The officer replied something vague — like, the Haley driveway obviously had been cleared, and perhaps Haley had gotten a little too energetic with his snow-throwing. At that, Haley admitted that some of the snow in the street got there via his shovel. That was enough for the officer to scribble out an ordinance violation — "pushed snow onto roadway" — and hand it to Haley.

Days later, Haley still can't believe the fine he faces. "One hundred dollars!" he yelps.

The violation pertains to Peoria Municipal Code Sec. 26-25: "No person shall sweep, shovel or pile, or cause to be swept, shoveled or piled, any snow, ice or other waste upon any of the streets, avenues, alleys, sidewalks or other public ways of the city."

DemonGeminiX
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
A. The city must be in dire straits and really needs the money.
B. Thing must be really slow down at the precinct.

Either way, it's a stupid law, especially considering the fact that the roads weren't clear at the time.

FBD
01-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Cops out in full force for revenue generation :roll:

Goofy
01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
"The Mad Shoveler", that's a great nickname :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-10-2014, 02:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YJQcXZf.jpg

Loser
01-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Really need context here. How much snow? Was it enough to make it impassable for low clearance vehicles?
I have a neighbor that plows his drive out leaving, on average, 2ft snow walls in the middle of the road.

So I kinda understand.

Hal-9000
01-11-2014, 09:03 PM
oh Lordy do I ever have a comment :lol:

Asshole across the street (who is about 5'6'' and over 300 pounds easy) makes a project out of shoveling. He pushes all of his snow to the middle of the street, even moving his two cars, shoveling that area into the street, then moving the cars back.

Last week I made a slight joke - So you're the reason we can't drive down the street! (understand that we've consistently have over a foot of snow already on any given sidestreet in this city for months)

He gets royally pissed, I tell him it was only a joke and to calm down, and he says - I just heard that shit from the other guy - meaning another neighbor who was out a couple houses down shoveling.

So I get a little hot and say - Hey dude...the roads are already almost undrivable, you're just making it worse.
He responds - What? You can't drive over a foot a snow, you shouldn't live in Canada...and people pack it down with their cars anyways, you should learn how to drive.
I say - Really? You're moving your two cars, shoveling the entire area out so you and your family completely miss that huge pile that YOU'RE CREATING! :lol: Who can't fucking drive???

*at this point he sees that I'm angry*

He waves at me dismissively and mumbles - You guys should mind your own business - and walks away in a huff.

Me and the other neighbor have a short conversation agreeing this guy is a lunatic and agree to call bylaw enforcement services...so we can mind our own business :lol: :lol:

Hal-9000
01-11-2014, 09:12 PM
:lol:

aaaand it's been about 6C (about 45F) which is quite warm comparatively, for the past 3 days and a storm just blew in....

crappy camera but our streets are full of 'porridge snow', about 12 inches..note that Asswipe's parking spots are completely clear over there, yet the middle of road is almost impassable ..

http://i.imgur.com/FPS9wcn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ov965eK.jpg

Hal-9000
01-11-2014, 09:14 PM
this is beside my sidewalk in the backyard...again not a good pic but the snowbank is over 3 feet tall...and that's after some warm weather for the week

http://i.imgur.com/sJfSS2X.jpg

Hal-9000
01-11-2014, 09:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cxxeMIw.jpg

Griffin
01-11-2014, 11:42 PM
what's that white stuff covering everything?

Muddy
01-12-2014, 01:14 AM
You cant throw the snow in the street...No brainer..

redred
01-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Hal needs to make a snowman for us

Noilly Pratt
01-13-2014, 05:44 PM
My nephew just came back from a road trip going from Vancouver to Edmonton, Calgary and back.

To get back he had to go the long way going South of Calgary and go the long route to Fernie because the road conditions change from awful to unpassable in a heartbeat.

He wanted to try out his 2014 Subaru Outback...it did great in the snow.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-13-2014, 05:52 PM

Yes, he does....get to it

Hal-9000
01-13-2014, 06:51 PM

:rofl: you have NO idea what I do every year in our neighborhood after it snows....

last week right before I injured my back (karma) I found a large snowman and kicked his head clean off :lol:

I do it once a year as a personal fuckyou to winter. I never knock the whole snowman down because that's cruel...I only take his head.

My most recent victim was over 6 feet tall and had a middle section that was about 5 feet in diameter...he was truly a monster.

now he's a headless monster :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Ruining kids lives one snowman at a time

Hal-9000
01-13-2014, 07:20 PM
another house had a plastic santa in an electric sleigh kinda bobbing up and down with lights....I was going to fuck him up a little but restrained myself because someone paid for that :)

redred
01-13-2014, 08:24 PM
so what about a snow dog ?

Hugh_Janus
01-13-2014, 09:34 PM
:rofl: you have NO idea what I do every year in our neighborhood after it snows....

last week right before I injured my back (karma) I found a large snowman and kicked his head clean off :lol:

I do it once a year as a personal fuckyou to winter. I never knock the whole snowman down because that's cruel...I only take his head.

My most recent victim was over 6 feet tall and had a middle section that was about 5 feet in diameter...he was truly a monster.

now he's a headless monster :dance:
wherever I've worked, we always make a snowman... and he always has a massive dick and find something to use as his bellend :lol:

and wrt the OP, that mother fucker would be opening his front door to a wall of snow :dance:

Hal-9000
01-13-2014, 11:42 PM
wherever I've worked, we always make a snowman... and he always has a massive dick and find something to use as his bellend :lol:

and wrt the OP, that mother fucker would be opening his front door to a wall of snow :dance:

:lol:

my neighbor across the street is going to get it....if I can find one guy with a pick up truck and a shovel on the front end, I'm going to pay him to put the shovel down, angle it towards the curb and bury this mook's cars in a wall of snow from the street :tup: