PDA

View Full Version : Toilet snake appearances are on the up according to a Brisbane snake catcher

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Lesley Hunter-Nolan - Quest Newspapers

http://i.imgur.com/xSwGhWr.jpg

A BRISBANE snake catcher says he is not surprised a snake took over a suburban toilet this week as he has seen a significant increase in this behaviour.

Darren Jacobs of Queensland Wildlife Solutions said he has attended four jobs involving snakes in toilets in suburban Briusbane since shortly before Christmas.

He usually gets ten in an entire year.

"There's definitely been an increase and I believe its down to the stormy weather," he said.

"They are chasing rats and mice who are forced out of their hiding places due to the wet.

"The snakes go into the sewer after them and if they see a hole, they'll go up it, unfortunately some of those holes lead to people's toilets."

His comments follow the ordeal of a Carina couple who had a 1.5m carpet python take up residence in their bowl on Monday night.

Mr Jacobs said he removed a 9ft Carpet Python form a Tarragindi residence in similar circumstances last week.

He said other recent incidents occurred at Moorooka and Beenleigh.

"My advice is always to leave it up to the professionals, we know what we are doing.

"You never know what snake you are dealing with as the colouring can be so deceptive.

"I have seen Eastern Browns with black, orange and even silver colouring so don't be fooled into thinking you have a non-venomous snake."

Mr Jacobs also warned that trying to catch or kill a snake was illegal and could incur a hefty fine.

"Just call a snake catcher, we are all over Brisbane and can get there quickly, don't take the risk."

Two other frightening catches Mr Jacobs said he made recently involved a 2.3m eastern brown at the Southbank Parklands, a red bellied black at a QUT campus and another red bellied which was found under a parked car in the city.