PDA

View Full Version : Damian Lewis Struggles To Shake American Accent

Teh One Who Knocks
01-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Contact Music

http://i.imgur.com/EOyTQGX.jpg

British actor DAMIAN LEWIS' American accent is so perfect he finds it hard to drop when he's not in character for Tv drama Homeland.

The star studied hard to sound American for Tv mini-series Band of Brothers and now admits the dialect comes a little too easy to him.

He explains, "I had to concentrate a lot during Band of Brothers for about nine months... and now I wake up on a Saturday morning and I go to the grocery store and I talk in an American accent.

"If I meet Americans through the day at a weekend, I'll stay in an American accent all weekend. It's really weird. I can't shake it."

Muddy
01-17-2014, 01:52 PM
I'd like to be able to talk in a British accent, just to mess with people..

DemonGeminiX
01-17-2014, 05:02 PM
I'd like to be able to talk in a British accent, just to mess with people..

Watch Mary Poppins and mimic Dick Van Dyke's accent. :thumbsup:

Muddy
01-17-2014, 05:25 PM

http://i39.tinypic.com/b5422s.jpg

DemonGeminiX
01-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Totally! The Brits will love it! :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
01-17-2014, 07:19 PM
I talk like Minz when I want menz to do things for me

Noilly Pratt
01-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Up until the age of 6, I've been told I had a British accent because of my parents. I think I can still do a British accent well because I did one all growing up to pi** off my parents! When I was in England on a dare my cousins had me do it all day and all their friends were fooled.

I was in Raleigh, NC visiting a friend, and at one party a professor of linguistics was bragging he could tell anyone's heritage by the way they spoke. He was amazing -- the people there didn't know anything but that I came from Vancouver. After speaking to him for a few minutes he said I was from Canada but that there was west and east coast influences, as well as some British in there too. Completely accurate!

I can do American as well. Same as Canadian but you say Ruff instead of roof. Which of course comes up a lot in conversation. :)

Griffin
01-17-2014, 11:13 PM
That's just plain silly, there is no such thing as an American "accent". The rest of the planet just talks funny.

Loser
01-18-2014, 02:41 AM
No shit, growing up, all my siblings and I all had accents like were from jersey or boston or some shit, and by early teens, we all had to go to speech therapy classes to fix it. All born and raised in chicago, including parents.

To this day, they had no idea why we had those accents.

DemonGeminiX
01-18-2014, 02:47 AM
I was born in Philadelphia, PA and grew up in Southwest NJ, so I grew up with the "Philly" accent. I've been living in the South for the past 23 years, and I kinda picked up a slight southern twang. My accents fade in and out randomly. I don't even realize that I'm doing it.

Muddy
01-18-2014, 03:02 AM
I really dont have much of an accent, but i'll talk with a draw just to let people know I am who I am and Im proud of that..

Hal-9000
01-18-2014, 06:45 PM
I think folks from the southern states have great accents...

I on the other hand was told by DGX that I have a very neutral, non accent :( Not sure what he was expecting :lol:

Hal-9000
01-18-2014, 06:45 PM
maybe he meant gender-neutral :-k

DemonGeminiX
01-18-2014, 08:23 PM
I was expecting the stereotypical Canadian accent, replete with '-oot's for good measure.

Hal-9000
01-18-2014, 08:54 PM
the worst I get is when I'm really tired..."I talk like a California surfer dude" :lol: ....like it's an insult or something

DemonGeminiX
01-18-2014, 09:27 PM
I would be insulted if someone said that to me. You have a regionally androgynous accent. You sound like you could be from anywhere in the USA. People who moved around a lot as kids tend to sound like that.

Hal-9000
01-18-2014, 10:08 PM
regionally androgynous

:dance:

Hal-9000
01-18-2014, 10:09 PM
teachers used to get me to read out huge parts of books to the class because of my controlled tone and lifeless delivery :lol: ...ffs I had to read 90% of Macbeth in grade 11 :x

DemonGeminiX
01-19-2014, 01:10 AM
Actually, I thought your voice is very robust and expressive. You sound like a very well trained professional speaker. At the very least your delivery was very clear and booming on several of your voice messages.

I liken your (lack of) accent to those military kids that I went to high school with that lived in every region of the United States and even some places in Europe before they came here: you can't place their accent. Every region of the US has a definite accent, but these kids have none. Some people have told me that those kids' accents sounded more like a Midwest accent, but I don't know many people from that region so I have no basis of comparison.

Taking this quiz tells me I have the Mid-Atlantic accent (Philly/New Jersey). Take it and see what you get:

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827

Hal-9000
01-19-2014, 06:36 AM
I did the quiz in under a minute and most of mine were 'same'...some good ones near the end, you could see what they were trying to nail down..

anyways I shit you not :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/Tv2VQdU.jpg

Hal-9000
01-19-2014, 06:37 AM
I love that

which American accent do you have? Canadian :lol:

DemonGeminiX
01-19-2014, 07:33 AM
:-k

I wonder what your answers would have to be to get Mexican?

Hugh_Janus
01-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Actually, I thought your voice is very robust and expressive. You sound like a very well trained professional speaker. At the very least your delivery was very clear and booming on several of your voice messages.

I liken your (lack of) accent to those military kids that I went to high school with that lived in every region of the United States and even some places in Europe before they came here: you can't place their accent. Every region of the US has a definite accent, but these kids have none. Some people have told me that those kids' accents sounded more like a Midwest accent, but I don't know many people from that region so I have no basis of comparison.

Taking this quiz tells me I have the Mid-Atlantic accent (Philly/New Jersey). Take it and see what you get:

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action=go_detail&sub_action=take&obj_id=9827

I just did that and it says I've got a northeastern accent.... but I don't say "cwoffee" :shrug:

DemonGeminiX
01-19-2014, 09:54 AM
:lol:

I don't think it's geared towards people from your side of the pond, Mush. Sorry.

DemonGeminiX
01-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Here, try this one Mush (I give no assurances to its validity, btw):

http://www.gotoquiz.com/which_british_accent_do_you_have_1

Hugh_Janus
01-19-2014, 10:33 AM
oh shit.... 80% chavvy

:rofl:

Hal-9000
01-19-2014, 06:26 PM
:-k

I wonder what your answers would have to be to get Mexican?

it started to get repetitious....same, same, same....I was going fast saying the words outloud and as mentioned, only a few made me stop and say both words when there was a rhyming choice

DemonGeminiX
01-19-2014, 06:36 PM
it started to get repetitious....same, same, same....I was going fast saying the words outloud and as mentioned, only a few made me stop and say both words when there was a rhyming choice

That's funny, because most of mine are different. These are my answers:

1. No.
2. Different
3. Different
4. Different
5. ON rhymes with LAWN
6. I say all 3 differently
7. None of the above
8. Different
9. Different
10. Different
11. Yes
12. No
13. Same A as in FATHER
14. No.
15. Never
16. Like the "oo" in FOOD
17. Yes

Hal-9000
01-19-2014, 06:43 PM
I love accents and have been told I can nail a few...as I was saying the choices outloud I could hear American regional dialects clearly :lol:

seems like a fairly accurate test

Hal-9000
01-19-2014, 06:47 PM
questions like 13 would really nail Boston, NE states accents...

Godfather
01-19-2014, 06:50 PM

:lol:

Hal-9000
01-19-2014, 06:55 PM
FYI

I've never said 'a-boot' in my life :lol: The word is about, as in ow, I've cut myself

Godfather
01-19-2014, 07:28 PM
I did the quiz in under a minute and most of mine were 'same'...some good ones near the end, you could see what they were trying to nail down..

anyways I shit you not :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/Tv2VQdU.jpg

:rofl: Yeah I got Canadian too. That's impressive.

Although maybe I'm terrible with accents, but I can't hear hardly any difference between my accent and people from all the way down the coast to California. I think we talk with the same accent you hear in most sitcoms.

Hal-9000
01-19-2014, 07:36 PM
the rhyming ones....do you say blah blah like foot or good?

I thought it was impressive too

Noilly Pratt
01-19-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm neutral on both those quizzes.