PDA

View Full Version : HP brings Windows 7 back 'due to popular demand' as buyers shun Windows 8

PorkChopSandwiches
01-20-2014, 05:47 PM
PC MAKER HP has announced that it is dropping Windows 8 in favour of its predecessor, Windows 7.

Advertising on the HP website declares, "Windows 7 is back.... Due to popular demand." The claim is more than just a marketing statement. HP is now preloading most of its PCs with Windows 7 as standard, with Windows 8 having been relegated to an optional customisation.

The move is not unprecedented. When Windows Vista was panned by critics who thought it had been released too early, many OEMs began offering a downgrade to Windows XP after it became clear that despite a charm offensive by Microsoft, public perception was irreversibly against it.

Similar issues are dogging the company once again, with Windows 8 being criticised as a hybrid system that takes the worst from tablet and desktop computing. This broadly based rejection of Windows 8 has led Microsoft to accelerate the timeline for the release of Windows 9.

Meanwhile HP has decided that the popularity of Windows 7 is its best chance of encouraging more people to buy new computers in a declining market. With discounts of $150 for taking Windows 7, this appears to be more than a gimmick and a stand against the much maligned operating system.

This is not the first time that HP has spoken out against Microsoft. In December, HP executive Sridhar Solur said that the next generation of computers could very well not be dominated by Microsoft. He said, "Look at the business model difference between Intel and ARM. Look at the operating systems. In today's world, other than Microsoft there's no one else who charges for an operating system."

The PCs that HP is offering in the promotion are largely desktops, though there are a number of Windows 7 laptops prominently advertised too. Sales of Windows 7 have not ceased for individual purchase, and there is no rule that OEMs cannot continue to provide a Windows 7 option. However HP is the first of the top five PC makers to take a definite stand in favour of Windows 7 in the consumer market

Pony
01-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately I couldnt downgrade my w8 computer if I wanted to, toshiba does not make windows 7 drivers for it.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-20-2014, 06:00 PM
HP didn't offer them either. I have been buying strictly DELL since they offer the drivers on all their equipment to downgrade. With HP taking this stance, maybe the other manufactures will start offering up drivers

FBD
01-20-2014, 06:40 PM
ugh, new shit. I just want shit that works and doesnt fuck up on me. I hate being forced to upgrade.

Loser
01-20-2014, 06:50 PM
What you guys should be doing is boycotting microshit period. Not because it's a virii, bug, and security hole ridden peice of shit, but because they are forcing hardware manufacturers to use UEFI. Which fks those that want to use linux, which is none of the above ;)

Hal-9000
01-20-2014, 07:12 PM
I went to Windows 7 last install....because that's the disc I have in the drawer :thumbsup: