PDA

View Full Version : Snow plows in Florida?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2014, 12:17 PM
By Adam Walser - ABC Action News

LARGO, Fla. - From time to time the I-Team gets tips on governmental spending that viewers believe might be a waste of tax dollars.

When we recently heard that a Tampa Bay area city spent more than $20,000 on two new snow plows, we went to check it out.

They are a common sight throughout much of the country, snowplows digging communities out of one the harshest winters in recent memory.

The sight of snow plows in their new home in Florida, however, is not so common.

“Oh stop it! This is a joke,” said one woman, as we showed her pictures of the plows, which are currently located behind Largo Public Works.

That's right Largo, not Fargo.

The I-Team learned two snow plows were ordered in July, costing the city more than $22,000.

Since the last measurable snow here was in 1977, they won't likely be used for snow.

Instead, city officials say they'll be used after strong storms, tornados or hurricanes to remove debris from Largo's roads.

“When the police and fire departments are trying to come through and do emergency search and rescue or emergency response, obviously debris in the roadway can stop them, flatten tires and cause other problems,” said Brian Usher, Largo Public Works Director.

Usher said the city began considering buying snow plows after hearing how effective they were in clearing tornado debris in Oklahoma and other states.

Mounted on existing dump trucks, the plows cost far less than bulldozers or front end loaders.

“A lot of small communities up north don't have lots of equipment, but they do have lots of snowplows on hand, so they just started mounting them up and using them,” Usher said.

Public works officials say that with traditional heavy equipment, it can take hours, or even days to clear major thoroughfares like Ulmerton Rd. or East Bay Dr., but they say with the new plows, which can travel at speeds of up to 28 miles an hour, the same task can be accomplished in a matter of minutes.

“We're calling them debris removal plows,” Usher said.

Usher says they are the first plows of their kind in the Sunshine State, making it hard to even get a quote from a vendor to buy them.

“There were some dealers that kind of laughed at us and thought that we kind of lost our sanity looking for plow equipment in Florida,” he said.

There will continue to be some naysayers here.

“I can't say that I would buy them, but there you go,” said Largo resident Cynthia Harrington.

Usher says, however, he doesn't welcome the opportunity to prove his detractors wrong.

“We absolutely hope they never have to hit the road for their real purpose,” he said.

If you have a tip about suspected government waste, let us know and we’ll check into it.

FBD
01-21-2014, 12:28 PM
are we going to see an article about foresight when they're used for snow? :lol:

Pony
01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Planning ahead for when the sun goes to sleep?

Hal-9000
01-21-2014, 07:52 PM
and yet we hear every single year from our city council how they don't have enough in the budget for snow removal..."they didn't anticipate this type of accumulation"

FFS! :x I've lived here all of my life and it's snowed every single year, from October through April!!!!! and it's probably been doing the same in our area for the past 10000 years you bloody mooks!!!!

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2014, 07:57 PM
and yet we hear every single year from our city council how they don't have enough in the budget for snow removal..."they didn't anticipate this type of accumulation"

FFS! :x I've lived here all of my life and it's snowed every single year, from October through April!!!!! and it's probably been doing the same in our area for the past 10000 years you bloody mooks!!!!

It's usually the same way here....the state runs out of money in December or January because there was "too much snow" and they didn't budget for it. And then we still have March (Colorado's #1 snowiest month) and April (Colorado's 3rd snowiest month) to look forward to. :shakehead:

Hal-9000
01-21-2014, 08:05 PM
It's usually the same way here....the state runs out of money in December or January because there was "too much snow" and they didn't budget for it. And then we still have March (Colorado's #1 snowiest month) and April (Colorado's 3rd snowiest month) to look forward to. :shakehead:

I was going to seriously approach city council with a TV crew in tow during December.....remember I was complaining about all of the snow and ice and the roads?

They had a commercial and threatened home owners with a 175 dollar fine, if we didn't clear our sidewalks within 24 hours of a snowfall :shock:

In December we had record snowfall amounts, more snow than in the last 102 years of Decembers in Calgary. There were 3200 car accidents (reported) in a 14 day period.

So after seeing that edict issued by city hall I lost my mind...I was going to form a petition and get 100000 signatures encouraging people to pay only half of their yearly city tax bill. (My Dad and I pay an average of 2400/yr for garbage removal, upkeep on parks, snow removal etc)

We've had about 10-15 days of above average temps and we still can't drive down our front street because of ice ruts...

it's making me angry if you haven't noticed :lol:

:oops:

Griffin
01-22-2014, 02:06 AM
Hal with all the talk of Global Warming, perhaps you should push for a stockpile of sunblock in case of solar flares.