PDA

View Full Version : Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2014, 12:56 PM
SkyNews

http://i.imgur.com/yEV1TY4.jpg

Hackers have used a refrigerator to send spam emails in the first proven cyber attack of its kind.

Internet-connected home appliances were infected by a large "botnet" over a two-week period from December 23, according to California security firm Proofpoint.

It said hackers managed to penetrate home-networking routers, connected multimedia centers, televisions and at least one refrigerator to create a platform to deliver malicious spam or phishing emails. The firm said the case "has significant security implications for device owners and enterprise targets" because of massive growth expected in the use of smart and connected devices, from clothing to appliances.

It said these appliances may become attractive targets for hackers because they often have less security than PCs or tablets.

Incidents were documented between December 23 and January 6 featuring "waves of malicious email, typically sent in bursts of 100,000, three times per day, targeting enterprises and individuals worldwide." More than a quarter of the emails were sent by things that were not conventional laptops, desktop computers or mobile devices.

"Botnets are already a major security concern -- and the emergence of thingbots may make the situation much worse," Proofpoint's David Knight said.

"Many of these devices are poorly protected at best and consumers have virtually no way to detect or fix infections when they do occur. Enterprises may find distributed attacks increasing as more and more of these devices come online and attackers find additional ways to exploit them."

Goofy
01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
I thought you were meant to keep spam in the fridge :-k

Acid Trip
01-22-2014, 03:09 PM
I like my appliances being dumb. No need for them to be smart.

Muddy
01-22-2014, 03:21 PM
I'd like for my Fridge to be able to toss a nice salad. :yumyum:

Hal-9000
01-22-2014, 06:30 PM
my bro just bought a fancy new home and has smart everything...

I made a joke about hacking his TV and he just waved me off :lol: (he's not the most tech minded dude..)

He does have a smart fridge and the heating/central air are all tied into the main 'housechip'.

Hal-9000
01-22-2014, 06:32 PM
he also has a bathroom sink/facets that I'm sure were designed after the 3 clamshell scenario from Demolition Man :lol: I had to ask how to use ' the punchbowl and thingies on the vanity '

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2014, 06:32 PM
I don't get it....why does your fridge need to be 'smart'? :confused:

Hal-9000
01-22-2014, 06:34 PM
he also has electric salt and pepper shakers...with a built in light. They sit in a docking station at night...

my cousin was out for Xmas dinner at my bro's and I told him the shakers could download apps...so he checks them out up close and asks how :lol: :lol:

Hal-9000
01-22-2014, 06:35 PM

he has some other appliance hooked into the network and I asked the same thing...he said - well, it's just... better

:tup:

yeah, like I need a crockpot hooked to a home network ffs :lol:

Hal-9000
01-22-2014, 06:40 PM
When I see smart homes with climate control hooked in, I always think of this movie...

http://i.imgur.com/szJunGb.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075931/

It came out in 1977 and had a 'smart home'...there was a scene where the house decided to close the shutters and doors and crank up the heat.......yikes

Acid Trip
01-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Some fridges have a touchscreen where with a few clicks you can tell it what you ran out of (like Milk). When you are ready to go to the store you press a list button and the fridge emails you the shopping list.

It's definitely cool but totally unnecessary.

Hal-9000
01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
my bro's has some sort of weird temperature control too...raises and lowers according to time of day, supposedly to save power