PDA

View Full Version : Advisory panel says NSA surveillance program should be ended

PorkChopSandwiches
01-23-2014, 09:29 PM
By Tom Curry and Michael O'Brien, NBC News

A government advisory panel said Thursday that the bulk data collection program run by the National Security Agency is illegal and should be halted.

Recommendations by the bipartisan Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board, which was created by Congress last decade with a mandate to conduct oversight and recommendations to preserve individual liberty, are sure to inflame the ongoing debate over the National Security Agency and its surveillance practices.

Among the findings of the panel:

Section 215 the Patriot Act “does not provide an adequate legal basis” to support the NSA’s collection of records of telephone calls, branding the practice illegal in the panel’s view.

The NSA program violates a federal law called the Electronic Communications Privacy Act which prohibits telephone companies from giving customer records to the government except in response to a specific search warrant.

The data collection done under the Section 215 program “has shown minimal value in safeguarding the nation from terrorism.” The board members said that based on the classified briefings and documents they received, “we have not identified a single instance involving a threat to the United States in which the program made a concrete difference in the outcome of a counterterrorism investigation.”

The board's opinions are advisory in nature only, and don't have the force of law.

The board's most significant recommendation involves ending the government's collection, storage and monitoring of so-called metadata, bulk telephone and email records. The board went a step further, and characterized the practice as likely illegal.

It also calls for immediate changes to the program in its current form, namely by cutting the retention period for metadata from five years to three years.
Two Republican members of the board, though, issued dissents from the final report, defending the data collection program.

The program must be reauthorized by Congress by June of 2015, or face automatic expiration. The House Judiciary Committee was set to hold a hearing on metadata collection in the coming weeks, its Republican chairman said Thursday.

The recommendations come after President Barack Obama last week defended collection of bulk data as an invaluable tool in the government's efforts to combat terrorism. For that, Obama assembled his own review task force whose recommendations formed the basis for the reforms the president announced last week.

"The review group turned up no indication that this database has been intentionally abused," Obama said last Friday at the Justice Department. "And I believe it is important that the capability that this program is designed to meet is preserved."

National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden further defended the program.

"Specifically on the Section 215 bulk telephony metadata program, we disagree with the Board's analysis on the legality of the program," she said, adding that Obama had met with the board, and had incorporated elements of its report into his speech last week on NSA practices.

The advisory panel issued several other recommendations, as well. Its report called for broadening the ability to appeal rulings of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) and increasing transparency by including outside advocates at the FISC and declassifying more of the court's decision.

Obama's recommendations last week incorporated several of the PCLOB's proposals, namely the inclusion of outside advocates before the FISC. But Obama largely preserved the structure of the metadata program, though he asked the NSA and Attorney General Eric Holder to create a program under which the government would no longer store the data, and have to seek a court's permission before querying it.

If nothing else, Thursday's report is sure to add the cauldron of debate in Washington over the collection of bulk data, a debate that seemed far from settled after the president's speech last week.

Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said he was "disappointed" the board "decided to step well beyond their policy and oversight role and conducted a legal review of a program that has been thoroughly reviewed."

Opponents of the metadata program, though, heralded the report as a validation of their criticism of the NSA surveillance practice as unlawful.

"The recommendations of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board add to the growing chorus calling for an end to the government’s dragnet collection of Americans’ phone records," said Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "The report reaffirms the conclusion of many that the Section 215 bulk phone records program has not been critical to our national security, is not worth the intrusion on Americans’ privacy, and should be shut down immediately."

Hal-9000
01-24-2014, 12:02 AM
I can understand the feasibility of collecting text messages and emails...not the legality, the actual physical task of saving written words because the size is mere kbs...

but collecting voice calls? Wouldn't that take a fckton of space to collect/record every call made?

DemonGeminiX
01-24-2014, 12:24 AM
They don't have to save it as a variable bit rate mp3. They can choose a lesser bit rate. As long as it's audible, why would they care about the quality?

PorkChopSandwiches
01-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Storage is cheap. Have you seen the Utah data center?

FBD
01-24-2014, 10:14 PM
yeah, like they're going to stop this anytime soon

Hal-9000
01-24-2014, 10:53 PM
They don't have to save it as a variable bit rate mp3. They can choose a lesser bit rate. As long as it's audible, why would they care about the quality?

yes I'm aware but still....voice files and calls themselves are typically longer than the average text message....

not saying they don't do this, I'm just curious about the storage space needed.

DemonGeminiX
01-24-2014, 11:38 PM
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Storage is cheap. Have you seen the Utah data center?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hal-9000
01-24-2014, 11:45 PM
ummm..no I haven't

Hal-9000
01-24-2014, 11:56 PM
you know...it kinda gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that someone has saved all of my texts, phone calls, emails, browsing history, things purchased...

it's like they care :)

Loser
01-25-2014, 12:15 AM
red phone, gpg, pgp, text secure, orbot.

https://www.encrypteverything.ca/index.php?title=Cell_phone_privacy_guide_(Android)

and look into buying or making one of these.

http://killyourphone.com/

It's a cloth sock you put your phone into, which is basically a Faraday cage for your phone.

Why would you need one? Because it's been proven that they can and have turned on the mic of peoples cell phones, even when not in a call, to record conversations. They can also turn on your camera and take pictures.

Downside is, while using this sock, you cannot receive incoming calls, because it kills all radio signals to your phone.

deebakes
01-25-2014, 02:01 AM
or just have a phone like hal's got...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2a5xe36.jpg

Hugh_Janus
01-25-2014, 02:12 AM
I think that's a bit too modern

http://diyperiod.com/images/001_diy_pics/02_kids_projects/string_phone_cup05.jpg

deebakes
01-25-2014, 02:42 AM
those are TOO easy to tap :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-25-2014, 03:27 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hMhbGBtX_cg/S3CcHCL1KNI/AAAAAAAAAEM/R1W5JUUGiYU/s320/smoke_signals.gif

deebakes
01-25-2014, 03:31 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m5cym8.gif

Pony
01-26-2014, 10:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIgawVve63I

Muddy
01-26-2014, 01:41 PM
The whole point is.. Dont say anything incriminating electronically.

FBD
01-26-2014, 02:39 PM
the whole point is...you thought 1984 was just a story, but its more like a plan

deebakes
01-26-2014, 02:57 PM
the whole point is... we're all fucked :sad2:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-26-2014, 03:27 PM
The whole point is big brother is watching

Griffin
01-26-2014, 03:35 PM
There is no point, it is a very large blunt anal insertion.

Hal-9000
01-26-2014, 06:54 PM
or just have a phone like hal's got...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2a5xe36.jpg

:lol:

I envision a funeral in the future....where they make a collage using some of your texts, emails, comments on forums...and some of your browsing habits. All set to music on a big screen in front of the crowd....Now, this was hal :)