PDA

View Full Version : Colorado High School Student Lights Himself On Fire In School

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2014, 08:48 PM
CBS 4 Denver

http://i.imgur.com/OsSxCmW.jpg

WESTMINSTER, Colo. (CBS4) – A student set himself on fire in the cafeteria of Standley Lake High School in Westminster on Monday morning and was critically hurt.

The 16-year-old student, who is not being identified, was listed in critical condition with severe burns after being admitted to the hospital.

Police are currently conducting an investigation inside the school, located on the 10400 block of Holland Street. They said there were several other students in the cafeteria at the time the fire started but none of them were injured.

Westminster Police Department spokeswoman Cheri Spottke said the boy didn’t make any threats before starting the fire.

“There is no indication there were any threats to any schools,” she said.

The incident happened at 7:12 a.m., and authorities said a male custodian put the fire out with a fire extinguisher. Police also said a female employee got a laceration injury somehow during the incident.

The school was quickly evacuated after the fire broke out, at approximately 7:30 a.m., and school officials canceled classes for the day.

“There were many cops and fire trucks and ambulances arriving and students all over the place and parents — just kind of a horrible situation here,” area resident Shelley Chavez said.

Students with cars were given the okay to leave the school in their cars and students who take the bus and get to the school by other means were being taken to Wayne Carle Middle School where they could meet up with parents or guardians.

Officials said students would not be allowed back into the school on Monday to get any belongings that were left inside. Later in the morning they said school would not be in session on Tuesday, but there will be counselors available and students can retrieve belongings then.

Hugh_Janus
01-27-2014, 11:50 PM
school open at 7 in the morning.... WTF?

Griffin
01-28-2014, 12:12 AM
school open at 7 in the morning.... WTF?

I don't find that odd. Depending on how far and many bus routes there are, the first runs could easily arrive that early.
In the mid 70's I chose to walk to school (junior high) because I could leave home 45 minutes after the bus came by, walk the half mile and still beat the bus to school allowing me time to have donuts and milk in the cafeteria.

deebakes
01-28-2014, 02:25 AM
:burn:

Hal-9000
01-28-2014, 05:28 AM
The time to hesitate is through
No time to wallow in the mire..