PDA

View Full Version : The wheel paradox that stumped Aristotle and Galileo

Teh One Who Knocks
01-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Esther Inglis-Arkell - io9

http://i.imgur.com/uCe5rcO.jpg

Here's a simple problem, illustrated simply, that will have you cocking your head and wondering how it's done. You won't be the first. Aristotle (reputedly) first took a whack at this, and Galileo gave it a try as well. See what you can make of it.

Not everyone agrees that Aristotle invented this little paradox, but everyone agrees that it would be just like him to come up with something like this. The paradox involves two different-sized wheels, one inside another. Think of the edge of your tire and the edge of the hubcap. The two rotate in sync, and they rotate over a certain distance. But should they rotate over the same distance?

http://i.imgur.com/rId6JHH.gif

If you look at the animated gif above, both wheels use their entire circumference to trace the same amount of distance - the red line. Clearly one circumference is smaller than the other. Either that means that the wheels have the same circumference, which they don't, or that different circumferences "unroll" to the same length, which they can't. (If they did, since this is true no matter how small the radius of the wheel, technically a wheel with the circumference of an inch should be able to go the same distance in one roll as a wheel with the circumference of a mile. The only thing that's keeping us from being able to drive across the country with one revolution of our tires, then, is that the tires aren't small enough.)

That can't possibly be right. The smaller radius can't possibly be equal to the larger one, so what's going on? An easy answer to this is to trace, not the line, but the journey that each segment goes on to get from one point of the line to the other. Go ahead and take your finger and move it with the line showing the radius of the circle, tracing the arc that the smaller circle goes through to get from one point to the other. Now trace the arc that the larger circle goes through to get from one point to the other. It should be obvious that a point on the larger circle goes though a larger arc, and therefore a longer journey, to get to the same point.

And what's happening on the red line? To answer that, we'll invoke the wheel-and-hubcap image again. If you have parked badly, with your wheel on the street and your hubcap on the curb, exactly what do you expect to hear and feel when you pull away? If the answer is the smooth glide of a tire gripping the road, and the hideous skreech of metal slipping over concrete, you're right. The inner wheel, when made to trace out the same line as its larger compatriot, will slip. They don't make the same journey.

Goofy
01-28-2014, 12:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JINB5XT.jpg

Pony
01-28-2014, 01:08 PM
I think god is involved.

Noilly Pratt
01-28-2014, 05:04 PM
I think god is involved.

He's in the details.

:-k No, wait....

:) Will have to have a think on this one.

Hal-9000
01-28-2014, 05:12 PM
it's easy...just look at the gif

the smaller wheel is not traveling on the same surface as the road...it's raised up whatever amount

if the smaller wheel was on the road it would rotate more often/faster, than the larger wheel because of the smaller wheel's diameter.

Hook a baby carriage wheel behind your car on the road and count the revolutions compared to your back wheel....more und quicker I vould think

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2014, 05:15 PM

the smaller wheel is not traveling on the same surface as the road...it's raised up whatever amount

if the smaller wheel was on the road it would rotate more often/faster, than the larger wheel because of the smaller wheel's diameter.

Hook a baby carriage wheel behind your car on the road and count the revolutions compared to your back wheel....more und quicker I vould think

Genius

Hal-9000
01-28-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm just ripped on dental freezing right now

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2014, 05:33 PM
It makes sense, since they are not on top of the same line

Hal-9000
01-28-2014, 05:35 PM
is there an answer to this?

I just envisioned the wheels on the same surface/same speed and the smaller one would rotate faster and have to turn more often :shrug:

Hal-9000
01-28-2014, 05:37 PM
if you place the smaller wheel within the larger wheel, of course the revolutions would be the same. Just like their hubcap example

so the key is the placement of the second wheel within the larger vs traveling on the same surface

Pony
01-28-2014, 05:41 PM
But if you take a tape measure and go once around the bigger circle and once around the smaller you'll have much different measurements.

Hal-9000
01-28-2014, 05:45 PM
isn't that a given no matter what surface they move on?

Acid Trip
01-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Hal has nailed it.

A small wheel, next to a large wheel, will require more revolutions to cover the same area (ie two wheels on a road next to each other).

A small wheel fixed inside a larger wheel (hubcap example) will have 1 revolution per 1 revolution of the large tire even though the diameter is smaller.

Anyone who has put oversize or undersized tires on their car should have run into a problem like this before. Cars calculate MPH based on tire revolutions (a fixed factory size). Bigger tires revolve less per mile and show you are going slower than your actual speed. The reverse is true for smaller tires.

Goofy
01-28-2014, 06:09 PM

You can occasionally be quite clever mate :tup:

Must be the drugs you're on today :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2014, 06:22 PM
More drugs greater enlightenment

Hal-9000
01-28-2014, 06:24 PM
:cheers:

HAL > aristotle and galileo

Bitches!

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2014, 06:27 PM