PDA

View Full Version : Now you can listen to outdated FM radio on your outdated BlackBerry

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2014, 05:09 PM
As BlackBerry races to add relevant features, are they compromising their one remaining asset?

BlackBerry, in their ongoing efforts to be 2006′s coolest technology, recently released update 10.2.1 for the Z30, Q10, and Q5 devices. The updates include an improved incoming call screen, picture-based passwords and, yes, an FM radio tuner. Soon, your Walkman portable radio will be entirely obsolete.

BlackBerry, who is all but dead in the consumer market, has been very public with their intentions to lean heavily on their enterprise market share for survival. The reason this works, or at least the reason it could work is that despite any shortcomings they may possess, BlackBerry is still the world’s most secure mobile platform. That makes them an appealing (if not the only) option for governments and large corporations that don’t want their proprietary information easily hacked.

That makes another feature of update 10.2.1 all the more perplexing, if not counterproductive: Users can now natively install Android apps from third party sources. Though the apps must be downloaded from “trusted” sources and not openly from the Google Play store, it still begs the question: Why compromise the feature of your products that are most valued by your only remaining customers?

Ostensibly the feature, which was not announced in BlackBerry’s press release, is designed to quell consumer complaints that have plagued BlackBerry for years: A lack of interesting apps. It’s not unreasonable to assume, even, that apps are what obliterated BlackBerry’s market share to begin with. As mobile devices evolved from phones into pocket internet machines, being a simple email and text device didn’t cut the mustard.

The new update also allows users to create SMS and email group threads, respond to calls via SMS or BBM, and monitor system and battery health. These “new” features have existed on other smartphone platforms for several years.

Goofy
01-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Poor Godfather :(

redred
01-28-2014, 06:24 PM
doen't ever phone come with an fm radio ?

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2014, 06:28 PM
IDK, i know you can get apps that play radio, but not sure about an FM tuner. This is ground breaking stuff

Hal-9000
01-28-2014, 06:37 PM
courier at work uses a pretty cool Blackberry with voice command and few other goodies...looks slick to me

redred
01-28-2014, 06:48 PM
IDK, i know you can get apps that play radio, but not sure about an FM tuner. This is ground breaking stuff

comes as standard on my SG2 :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2014, 06:53 PM
courier at work uses a pretty cool Blackberry with voice command and few other goodies...looks slick to me

Voice commands :shock: LEGENDARY!!!!

PorkChopSandwiches
01-28-2014, 06:54 PM
comes as standard on my SG2 :lol:

Guess its in mine too, but why would I use it when I have my own music and pandora :lol:

Important: You need to connect a headset first to the audio jack of HTC One to use FM Radio. FM Radio uses the stereo headset as the FM radio antenna.

Hal-9000
01-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Voice commands :shock: LEGENDARY!!!!

to identify songs you mook :x

hey, compared to my phone it's teleportation man :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-28-2014, 11:25 PM
BlackBerry, in their ongoing efforts to be 2006′s coolest technology...

:burn:

Griffin
01-28-2014, 11:53 PM
I wonder if you have to stick a folded up matchbook under the left corner to adjust sound?

Muddy
01-29-2014, 12:49 AM
Is FM still even on the air?

Godfather
01-29-2014, 03:49 AM
I genuinely wish my phone had an AM radio tuner :lol: I love listening to CBC News and Sports radio all day and steaming internet radio cuts out all the time.