PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation Network Down Indefinitely -- Again

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Analysis: Sony has once again missed its own timeframe to get the Playstation Network back online.
By Jared Newman, Technologizer

Sony has once again missed its own timeframe to get the Playstation Network back online, as the company tries to secure its network after a devastating security breach.

Sony said last Sunday that it expected to bring PSN back up by the end of the week, but those plans were ruined by a separate attack on Sony Online Entertainment, the company's massive multiplayer gaming service.

"We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system," Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold wrote on the official Playstation Blog. He offered no estimate of when service will be restored.

The Playstation Network went down on April 19, and couple days later Sony said it would restore service in "a full day or two." But the problems turned out to be worse than expected. Hackers had broken into PSN and made off with names, passwords, e-mails, addresses and birthdays. There's no evidence that credit card numbers were stolen, but Sony hasn't ruled out the possibility. Over the last couple of weeks, Sony's been rebuilding the Playstation Network, and is now testing security internally.

The last week brought some high drama, as a separate attack on Sony Online Entertainment resulted in the theft of personal information for 24.6 million users and 20,000 credit card or bank account numbers. Sony told Congress that it found a file named "Anonymous" in its Sony Online Entertainment servers, with the text "We Are Legion" inside. This refers to the hacking group Anonymous, which says it wasn't involved in either attack. Anonymous had previously attacked Sony's website, and Sony said this attack was either an intentional or inadvertent diversion.

Also this week, Sony Chairman and CEO Howard Stringer wrote a lengthy explanation and apology, reflecting Sony's overall change in tone from cold and distant to apologetic.

This whole thing has been a huge mess from the beginning, but I think most users would be happy if they could just enjoy Playstation games online again. Still, Sony can't risk another attack, which according to CNet was being planned for this weekend. A longer outage is better than a second outage, so security needs to be airtight before PSN can come back online.

redred
05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Tbh if it comes back as safe as it can be I can wait now

samarchepas
05-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Yup....better to wait and be sure it's safe than just launch it...to get it hacked again :lol: (but I know that a 100% safe server...doesn't exist)

Godfather
05-08-2011, 06:09 PM
5$ a month for XBL still too frivolous? :P

samarchepas
05-08-2011, 07:19 PM
5$ a month for XBL still too frivolous? :P

You DO understand that the same thing CAN actually happen to XBL right?:-k

Godfather
05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Hypotheticals? :lol: You guys must be getting BORED

*wonders off to play Live* :P

samarchepas
05-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Better than be in denial of the obvious :lol:...If some hackers decide they want to get in...they will.

Godfather
05-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't think your situation is 'better than being in denial.' What will denying or acknowledging anything help? Obviously hackers can do what they want, but that's irrelevant: PSN is toast, XBL has never had this problem :lol: What could I do differently... switch to Playstation? :rofl:

samarchepas
05-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't think your situation is 'better than being in denial.' What will denying or acknowledging anything help? Obviously hackers can do what they want, but that's irrelevant: PSN is toast, XBL has never had this problem :lol: What could I do differently... switch to Playstation? :rofl:

XBL was out for 2 full weeks in 2008 ;)

Godfather
05-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Least my, and tens of thousands of others' banking information wasn't stolen ;)

samarchepas
05-08-2011, 08:04 PM
As of now...nothing happened to my banking information :lol: (The servers are off so nobody can access them...and I'd guess that if someone would have stole it...they would have used it by now :lol:)

redred
05-08-2011, 08:34 PM
XBL was out for 2 full weeks in 2008 ;)

:tup: will they remember that and it was over christmas if i remember right

samarchepas
05-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Yep...I do remember...I was a member back then :lol:

Hugh_Janus
05-08-2011, 10:20 PM

just got off live myself.... I wonder if they remember what it's like playiong against internet people :-k

:dance: