PDA

View Full Version : Palisades Park family sues Bronx Zoo after child swallows souvenir penny

Teh One Who Knocks
02-04-2014, 12:50 PM
By Alex Napoliello/NJ.com

The family of a Palisades Park 3-year-old is suing the Bronx Zoo after he suffered serious injuries from swallowing a souvenir penny distributed by the zoo last summer.

The penny was given to each member of the family as part of a promotional deal featuring a Dinosaur Safari exhibit, the New York Post reports.

An employee at the zoo handed the coin directly to 3-year-old Ethan Yi, who then swallowed the penny — imprinted with the words "Dinosaur Safari."

Ethan was rushed to an emergency medical clinic, where a doctor told the family it would come out a few days later.

Except that wasn't the case. He underwent surgery at the Hackensack University Hospital days later to remove the coin, the report said.

Family lawyer Howard Myerowitz told the Post that the jagged edge of the penny scraped and cut the inside of Ethan's stomach. The entire ordeal left the uninsured family with more than $50,000 in medical bills, he said.

The family is seeking unspecified damages from the Bronx Zoo and the Wildlife Conservation Society, the report said.

Ethan's mother, Kelly Yi, said there was no warning about the dangers of swallowing the coins.

Jezter
02-04-2014, 04:24 PM
By Alex Napoliello/NJ.com

The family of a Palisades Park 3-year-old is suing the Bronx Zoo after he suffered serious injuries from swallowing a souvenir penny distributed by the zoo last summer.

The penny was given to each member of the family as part of a promotional deal featuring a Dinosaur Safari exhibit, the New York Post reports.

An employee at the zoo handed the coin directly to 3-year-old Ethan Yi, who then swallowed the penny — imprinted with the words "Dinosaur Safari."

Ethan was rushed to an emergency medical clinic, where a doctor told the family it would come out a few days later.

Except that wasn't the case. He underwent surgery at the Hackensack University Hospital days later to remove the coin, the report said.

Family lawyer Howard Myerowitz told the Post that the jagged edge of the penny scraped and cut the inside of Ethan's stomach. The entire ordeal left the uninsured family with more than $50,000 in medical bills, he said.

The family is seeking unspecified damages from the Bronx Zoo and the Wildlife Conservation Society, the report said.

Ethan's mother, Kelly Yi, said there was no warning about the dangers of swallowing the coins.
http://i.imgur.com/bzyY622.png

Hal-9000
02-04-2014, 06:02 PM
:lol:

deebakes
02-05-2014, 02:43 AM
:rip:

Noilly Pratt
02-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Reminds me of a local article where a family was going to sue our local school board because their child was on the train tracks and got hit by the train...on the weekend.

They maintained it was because he was sick and didn't watch the "Train Aware" warning video that they showed in class when he was away. Not the parents responsibility, of course.

I went to the same school years earlier, lived in the same town and went by the same tracks, with trains going 2x as fast because for safety they've slowed them now to a crawl. Sorry, but I didn't need any video to tell me a moving locomotive and playing near it is dangerous.

I think it didn't even make it to court.

"Warning - life can be dangerous. You will die, and you might hasten that death if you do something stupid or don't supervise those who don't know better." - there. A life disclaimer.

redred
02-05-2014, 05:06 PM
the zoo should sue the parent for being stupid :roll:

perrhaps
02-05-2014, 08:59 PM
A half-hour after it was removed, the souvenir penny reportedly had a strong urge to be eaten by another Chinese-American nitwit.