PDA

View Full Version : Alabama high school student takes selfie with cadaver and posts it to Instagram

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2014, 11:59 AM
By Evan Bleier - UPI

LIMESTONE COUNTY, Ala., Feb. 5 (UPI) -- If they want to discipline her, administrators have this student dead to rights…

An Alabama high school senior could be suspended after she posted an Instagram selfie with a cadaver while on a school field trip to the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s biology department.

The student, who attends Clements High School in Limestone County, used her cellphone to take a photo of herself with a dead body that had been donated to the school. According to WHNT News 19, sheets are not supposed to be removed from donated bodies and cellphones were prohibited during the tour.

Although the post has been removed from the student’s Instagram account, someone got their hands on a screenshot of the photo and alerted school officials.

“We were notified via email this morning from a parent that this incident had occurred,” said Karen Tucker, the Limestone County School Board Director of Public Relations and Technology.

“We are speaking to the University of Alabama Birmingham, they are understandably upset with this incident and we want to preserve our relationship with the university,” said Tucker. “Therefore we are speaking to them and wanting to know how we can mend this process and keep our relationship with them, and we are in the process of deciding on the discipline that will occur.”

Clements High School principal Keith Hairrell would not confirm nor deny if the student had been suspended.

UAB released a statement about the incident Tuesday:

"Tours of our facilities to introduce students -- primarily high school seniors -- to the teaching and research we do, play an important role in educating future scientists and doctors. Our policies require discretion and respect in our human anatomy facilities. No phones are allowed, no photos are to be taken, and faces of cadavers are covered. A student was made explicitly aware of these policies and breached them. This kind of disrespect is unacceptable and very disappointing. We will review our processes to ensure this does not happen again."

deebakes
02-07-2014, 12:47 AM
:drool:

Hugh_Janus
02-07-2014, 01:29 AM
fuckin kids....

deebakes
02-07-2014, 02:10 AM
:giggity:

Godfather
02-07-2014, 05:51 AM
I've heard some great cadaver stories from friends and family in medicine/dentristry but the best is my gf's fathers story of med school in Ireland. They got liquored up one Friday and went into the cadaver lab. they dressed their cadaver back up in street clothing (lipstick and all I'm told) and lugged her up to the roof. Right as there was the optimal crowd, they threw her off the roof in front of a horrified crowd of bystanders :lol:

As fucked up as it is, he can't tell it without crying with laughter. I guess medicine was a little less serious back them. My girlfriend said they threaten they'll kick students out of Med school now for even making jokes in the cadaver lab :roll:

Godfather
02-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Another cousin of mine told me a story of his buddies sewing their cadaver back together with his textbooks in the abdomen :lol: His books all just stunk of formaldehyde the rest of the term.