PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver home to Canada's first crackpipe vending machines

Pony
02-09-2014, 10:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Hi8aGJQ.jpg

Vancouver is the home to Canada's first-ever crackpipe vending machines, which were installed in the city’s troubled Downtown Eastside in a bid to curb the spread of disease among drug users.

Portland Hotel Society's Drug Users Resource Centre operates two of the machines. They dispense Pyrex crackpipes for just 25 cents.

"For us, this was about increasing access to safer inhalation supplies in the Downtown Eastside,” Kailin See, director of the DURC, told CTV Vancouver.

She said the pipes are very durable and less likely to chip and cut drug users' mouths, which helps stop the spread communicable diseases including HIV and hepatitis C.

The vending machines are part of a harm-reduction strategy introduced by InSite, North America's only medically supervised safe injection site. InSite is located in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside which is considered Canada’s “poorest postal code.”

Like the vending machines, InSite has ignited a firestorm of controversy since first opening 10 years ago. As many as 800 people use the site each day.

The federal government tried to shut down InSite in 2008, but it survived thanks to a Supreme Court of Canada ruling that upheld the facility’s exemption under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

In a statement sent to CTV News Saturday, Minister of Public Safety Steven Blaney said he disagrees with the initiative. The minister said he supports treatment that ends drug use, including “limiting access to drug paraphernalia” by youth.

“Drug use damages the health of individuals and the safety of our communities,” Blaney said. “We believe law enforcement should enforce the law.”

Health-care professionals say facilities like InSite save lives and reduce overdose deaths. Studies have shown that harm reduction strategies lead to a decrease in infectious disease rates, and addicts are more likely to get treatment since they're in regular contact with health professionals.

"This is one piece of the larger puzzle," See said. "You have to have treatment, you have to have detox, you have to have safe spaces to use your drug of choice, and you have to have safe and clean supplies."

She pointed out while the pipes cost $0.25, every new case of HIV or hepatitis could cost taxpayers up to $250,000 in medical treatment.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-10-2014, 11:23 AM
:canada:

Goofy
02-10-2014, 01:22 PM
:facepalm:

Hal-9000
02-10-2014, 08:56 PM
:lol:

the picture is of a person who works waaaaaaaaay on the other side of the nation

PorkChopSandwiches
02-10-2014, 09:49 PM
:hand: That excuse doesn't work for me and the argument is identical

Hal-9000
02-10-2014, 10:10 PM
that's Muddy in 20 years

DemonGeminiX
02-10-2014, 10:36 PM
:hand: That excuse doesn't work for me and the argument is identical

California screams crazy, dude. It's the default for crazy. You can't get out of it.

Muddy
02-10-2014, 11:14 PM
that's Muddy in 20 years

Hey thanks man! guy reminds me of chris farley.. :lol:

Hal-9000
02-10-2014, 11:59 PM
He's an engaging dude!

:sorry:

Muddy
02-11-2014, 12:09 AM
I find him amusing.. Does he perform the job of mayor very well?

Hal-9000
02-11-2014, 12:12 AM
MrsM says he actually does good in that capacity

I can't see it myself because I've only witnessed sound bytes where he's losing his everloving mind! :lol:

Muddy
02-11-2014, 12:16 AM
He definitely gives off a like-able vibe... Like he'd be cool to drink a beer with and terrorize the fricken town... :lol: haaaay!! Bring us some forking beers over here!!!! Im the fuggin mayor in this town!!

Hal-9000
02-11-2014, 12:18 AM
I get the same vibe from him....down to earth and no BS. Unfortunately he reminds me of too many middle management buffoons in my company right down to the tie :lol:

Hal-9000
02-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Our current mayor is East Indian and a social media whore....he's pwned some guys on Twitter taking a run at him, which I like.

I think he's gay or is at least a huge gay advocate, so he gets support from a lot of different areas in our city.

Muddy
02-11-2014, 12:25 AM
We had a known heroin addict on the city council in Richmond at one point..

http://i57.tinypic.com/29zved1.jpg

He was a pretty cool guy, but he kept getting busted with heroin... When they finally put him in jail someone mysteriously burnt his garage to the ground.. He kept saying it was an accident.. I think it was a message. For him to keep his fucking mouth shut about where he was getting all these drugs... :lol:

Hugh_Janus
02-11-2014, 12:29 AM
so, is gf a crack whore yet?

Hal-9000
02-11-2014, 07:05 AM
We had a known heroin addict on the city council in Richmond at one point..

http://i57.tinypic.com/29zved1.jpg

He was a pretty cool guy, but he kept getting busted with heroin... When they finally put him in jail someone mysteriously burnt his garage to the ground.. He kept saying it was an accident.. I think it was a message. For him to keep his fucking mouth shut about where he was getting all these drugs... :lol:

:lol: you guys have the best politicians

Hal-9000
02-11-2014, 07:07 AM
so, is gf a crack whore yet?

Assistant crack whore...he doesn't get certified for another year