PDA

View Full Version : It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says

DemonGeminiX
02-11-2014, 09:58 PM
By Pete Williams

Attorney General Eric Holder is calling for an end to state laws that bar felons from voting, even after they have served their sentences.

"By perpetuating the stigma and isolation imposed on formerly incarcerated individuals, these laws increase the likelihood they will commit future crimes," Holder said Tuesday at a Washington, D.C., symposium on sentencing laws.

Holder said the restrictions bar 5.8 million Americans from casting a ballot, including 2.2 million African-Americans.

"Nearly one in 13 African-American adults are banned from voting because of these laws. In three states -- Florida, Kentucky, and Virginia -- that ratio climbs to one in five," he said.

Holder called the laws a vestige of post-Civil War racial discrimination, with a disproportionately high impact on minority communities.
The laws were not intended to improve public safety but rather "to stigmatize, shame, and shut out a person who had been found guilty of a crime."

Justice Department figures say Florida's law has disenfranchised roughly 10 percent of the population. Similar laws in Mississippi bar 8 percent of the population from voting, the figures say.

Three states -- Florida, Iowa, and Kentucky -- permanently disenfranchise convicted felons, unless the government approves an individual request to have rights restored. Eight others -- Alabama, Arizona, Delaware, Mississippi, Nevada, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming -- bar at least some, though not all, convicted felons from voting.

In most states, voting rights are restored after a sentence is served, though some also require completing terms of probation or parole. Nearly all states bar felons from voting while they remain in prison.

DemonGeminiX
02-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Personally, I don't think anyone incarcerated should be allowed to vote. It's not as if they were making good decisions to begin with.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Yes, Im sure these people just cant wait to vote :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Personally, I don't think anyone incarcerated should be allowed to vote. It's not as if they were making good decisions to begin with.

Going to jail (incarcerated) and being a felon are a huge difference

DemonGeminiX
02-11-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm aware of this. :d

Hal-9000
02-11-2014, 10:35 PM
I think you're born with a certain set of rights...you screw up, you lose the rights

serving time or served time, doesn't matter

I also think people should get big red J's tattooed on their foreheads if they spend time in jail :)

DemonGeminiX
02-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Seriously, we have a set of laws, which for the most part (note that I'm not saying every single one, Porkster. Nothing is perfect.) are justified. We have an expectation to follow these laws and if you follow these laws, you're pretty much ok. Honestly, it's not too difficult to do it. If you're not smart enough to come up in this society with this knowledge and follow it, what does that say about your decision making abilities? If you can't make good decisions for yourself and the people your actions impact, how can you be trusted to make a good decision for the whole of society?

That and I'm a crusty ol' racist white boy.

Hal-9000
02-11-2014, 10:51 PM
to add....almost every person committing a crime knows what they're doing is against the law. With the exception of the mentally ill/true sociopaths.

They take measures to conceal what they're doing and know if they get caught, it could be jail time.

I have no sympathy.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-12-2014, 12:53 AM
Seriously, we have a set of laws, which for the most part (note that I'm not saying every single one, Porkster. Nothing is perfect.) are justified. We have an expectation to follow these laws and if you follow these laws, you're pretty much ok. Honestly, it's not too difficult to do it. If you're not smart enough to come up in this society with this knowledge and follow it, what does that say about your decision making abilities? If you can't make good decisions for yourself and the people your actions impact, how can you be trusted to make a good decision for the whole of society?

That and I'm a crusty ol' racist white boy.

Well, you don't want to take the vote away from white collar crime. ;)

Muddy
02-12-2014, 12:54 AM
Yes! i can vote again...

DemonGeminiX
02-12-2014, 01:51 AM
Well, you don't want to take the vote away from white collar crime. ;)

Sure I do. You think they're voting for the betterment of society? Do you think they're voting with the populace in mind? I don't think so.

Fuck Bernie Madoff. He can never vote again.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-12-2014, 05:25 PM
:lol: </sarcasm>

Hal-9000
02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
brand them with a huge J on the forehead :x