PDA

View Full Version : NASA says it may have discovered flowing water on Mars

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2014, 11:29 AM
By Eric Pfeiffer - The Slideshow (Yahoo! News)

http://i.imgur.com/dHV8TJV.jpg

Scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory say new images from the surface of Mars may hold evidence that flowing water exists on the planet.

The potential discovery is noteworthy, since scientists have held on to the possibility of traces of water existing under the surface of Mars but had almost written off the possibility of flowing water still existing on the planet’s surface.

Orbiting spacecraft captured the imagery, which appears to show liquid flowing down a slope on the planet’s surface during a seasonal change in which surface temperatures rise.

“We still don't have a smoking gun for existence of water in RSL, although we're not sure how this process would take place without water," said Lujendra Ojha, lead author of the new report and a graduate student at the Georgia Institute of Technology. RSL refers to recurring slope lineae, the techincal term for the potential water flow.

“The flow of water, even briny water, anywhere on Mars today would be a major discovery, impacting our understanding of present climate change on Mars and possibly indicating potential habitats for life near the surface on modern Mars," said JPL’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter project scientist Richard Zurek.

In theory, that could mean previously frozen water was temporarily melting and moving downward.

But even “warm” temperatures on the red planet’s surface are still well below freezing. So, how could water move at all?

NASA says iron-rich minerals on the planet’s surface, such as ferric sulfate, could act as a sort of antifreeze, allowing water to remain liquid despite freezing temperatures.

The potential finding follows a 2011 study from Ojha that first pointed to potential saltwater flows on the planet’s surface. In his new paper, Ojha said the water flows appear to continue for about two months' time.

The results were published in the latest issue of the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Kool and the Gang

Hal-9000
02-12-2014, 06:58 PM
yada yada yada blah..

even if they do prove it's water (or was water) all it does is help them understand a theoretical climate change for a planet vastly different than ours
we can't get there to find it and we certainly can't bring any water back....so what it the real benefit?

waste o money [-(

PorkChopSandwiches
02-12-2014, 07:45 PM
We will be sending people on a one way trip to Mars soon enough, water would be helpful

Hal-9000
02-12-2014, 08:21 PM
yeah, I heard about that one way trip...

we'll have to send surveying equipment, drilling equipment, storage equipment and purification equipment too then...

that's a lot of tech for a bunch of people that will be dead when the ship's airlock opens on Mars :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-12-2014, 08:24 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
02-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Mars Explorer One this is control, come in

Mars Explorer please respond

Explorer are you there??

*static crackles*

GAAAAAAAK NO FUCKING AIR IT DIDN'T WORK FUCK ME HOUSTON THIS IS HORRIBLE!!!

Okay we have confirmation from Explorer One, safe and sound on the surface of Mars :)

*CHEERS*

Goofy
02-12-2014, 08:54 PM
yada yada yada blah..

even if they do prove it's water (or was water) all it does is help them understand a theoretical climate change for a planet vastly different than ours
we can't get there to find it and we certainly can't bring any water back....so what it the real benefit?

waste o money [-(

If there's water then there's a very good chance that Mars has (or had) life forms, pretty big deal imho :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
02-12-2014, 09:02 PM
If there's water then there's a very good chance that Mars has (or had) life forms, pretty big deal imho :thumbsup:

In what way and how would it help life on Earth?

DemonGeminiX
02-12-2014, 09:26 PM
It'll help to start the process of learning to colonize other worlds, although I do agree that a Mars expedition doesn't stand a chance of success at this point in time.

But make no mistake, we can't stay on this planet forever and expect to survive as a species.

Goofy
02-12-2014, 10:02 PM
In what way and how would it help life on Earth?

:shrug: I just want to meet a alien :nods:

Muddy
02-12-2014, 10:40 PM
That is the worst picture i have ever seen.. They cant do better than this?

Hal-9000
02-12-2014, 10:50 PM
I've taken better pics of my dick while on bath salts...

said it before, time is a funny thing. There could have been life or an organized civilization on Mars, but if it rose and fell 2 billion years ago, do you know how much sediment and rock would be on top of the proof? We're talking thousands of feet of rock if not miles...

PorkChopSandwiches
02-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Do you know how many miles of ocean Columbus had to navigate to find land on a flat earth

Hal-9000
02-12-2014, 11:08 PM
to the edge of the map! :tup:

Griffin
02-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Kuato: "Start the reactor. Free Mars"...

deebakes
02-13-2014, 02:43 AM
http://i58.tinypic.com/zmgmrl.jpg

Spyker
02-13-2014, 08:53 AM
humanity will have to find resources outside of earth. if not then we will regress in number back to around 1billion people or so.

fossil fuels only became a viable source of energy just over a hundred years ago. if you told people 20 years ago about the kind of tech we have now they wouldnt believe you.

the only reason we are not on mars yet is corporate greed and the consumer era. civilization has become stagnant. We are not progressing because we only care about the now.

When people started building the great monuments of our past(stonehendge, pyramids, cathedrals), they knew that they would not see that monument completed in their lifetime. The ones who layed the foundation had kids that built the walls and their kids in turn built the roof and their kids only saw the completed product. humanity has to evolve away from the consumer and the capitalist view. We should all do our jobs for no salary and receive all goods and services free.