PDA

View Full Version : US woman arrested over nine-year overdue rental video

redred
02-17-2014, 04:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bbYR8WA.jpg

A woman in South Carolina was arrested and jailed overnight over a nine-year overdue video rental.

Kayla Finley, 27, had visited a police station to report a crime, only to find a warrant for her arrest had been issued in 2005, when she was 18.

Ms Finley had rented a VHS copy of romantic comedy Monster In Law, starring Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda.

According to local television station Fox Carolina, Ms Finley was "shocked and disgusted" at the arrest.

On the channel's Facebook page, Ms Finley wrote: "I went to the police station to press charges of harassment and stalking. Not once did I ever receive anything regarding this [video]. If I had, it would have been taken care of immediately.

"This is a bogus charge and everyone knows it."

Her comment drew support from other online commenters.

"Kayla, this is absolutely ridiculous!" wrote Latisha Hensley, also from South Carolina.

"What a waste of everyone's time and money."

Monster In Law
Police said several warning letters about the overdue video were sent to Ms Finley, but she had since changed address.

Monster In Law, released in 2005 and directed by Robert Luketic, was mostly panned by critics.

A spokesperson for the Pickens County Sheriff's Office was unavailable to speak to the BBC.

However, prison records confirmed that Ms Finley was arrested last Thursday and kept overnight.

She was charged with "failure to return rented video cassette" and will appear in court at a later date.

"I fully intend on fighting this," she told Fox Carolina.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26225971

Goofy
02-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Surely she should have been praised for keeping a fucking POS film out of rental circulation :-k

Hal-9000
02-17-2014, 08:23 PM
in the old days, a video store membership was a legal contract stating you are borrowing their property and can be charged if you don't honor the rental agreement

if the box said '2 day rental', it's not really up to the vendor to send you reminder notes/phone calls when it's late

gas chamber for you bitch :x