PDA

View Full Version : Glory Days

Hal-9000
02-22-2014, 03:08 AM
I've played organized hockey, lacrosse, soccer, football and one year of baseball...

Share some of your stories of past accomplishments or failures, it doesn't have to be limited to mainstream sports.
If you're good at cards, darts, cat's cradle....relay something that you were involved in :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/jgxFC4D.jpg

Hal-9000
02-22-2014, 03:20 AM
I've played organized full tackle football at both the bantam and 2 high school levels, flag football in a men's league and lots of pick up games both tackle and touch.

On my high school senior team I played middle linebacker as a primary position, special teams kick returner, offensive fullback and tight end (for 3 games).

The opposing team punted from their 25 yard line and the guy put it up in the clouds. I swear it took over 10 seconds to return back to the ground. Our special teams coach drilled one thing into our heads - get the damned ball into your hands, everything else is gravy after that :lol:

So the ball is dropping and I can see the kicking team thundering down towards me....Only thought - I'm gonna be flattened sushi when those 8 guys roll over me.

I catch the ball and start running horizontally across the field post haste (out of fear). I know in about a 1/2 of a second, the pack of oncoming guys will bury me.

Decided to be cool and pitch it to our free safety who was beside me. I turn, plant and expertly toss it into the hands of a guy with a different colored jersey and he takes it right to our 8 yard line.

:lol:

I was the subject of an entire practice after that game :doh:

Hal-9000
02-22-2014, 03:22 AM
Oh and I played rugby for one year on a school team. That was probably the toughest sport IMO, a lot of running and some good hits at speed

Hal-9000
02-22-2014, 03:31 AM
I didn't play much offense in football, just a few downs at a time.

We were about 15 yards out from our opponents endzone and I lined up as tight end. We had two pretty good receivers so I usually blocked and did short slants or posts across the middle just in case.

our QB calls a fade to the 5 yard line and the ball is going to me...I'm expecting a lob over the defender's head and I screw up a little and run too far ahead of the ball. I put a hand behind my back and one along my side and catch the ball, pretty much behind my back :lol: I get munched into the sidelines after catching it and I hear one of their coaches say - Help that lucky shit up :lol:

Hal-9000
02-22-2014, 03:50 AM
my proudest moment in any football game...

We had a rich school about half a mile from us, they came to our field to play a game. They brought cheerleaders, parents, friends, huge water kegs...the works. Our equipment was leftover from the 60's and 70's, theirs was state of the art.. alcohol and air suspension helmets, lightweight pads. Even their jerseys were slick, they all had little hand towels and matching cleats.

Their quarterback was some sort of legend, passed for a zillion yards. He was the stereotypical tall good looking guy, with a tremendous ego...he had never fumbled or thrown an interception in 2 years of playing QB. He even had a cool sounding name.

It's 14-10 with us out in front in the 4th quarter. It was a tough game, I was bruised and beat up and they were pissed. Mr Quarterback rolls to the right and drops back about 10 yards. I know he's going to throw no matter what. I drop back diagonally about 15 yards, leaving their running back and tight end totally uncovered...

He launches the football on a rope and it hits me right in the chest when I turn...I could have never NOT caught that ball :lol:

So I'm stoked and shouting with glee as I'm running the ball back. I don't expect to run back the interception for a TD, but I still get outside quickly and haul ass up the field.

The QB nails me with a growl and I swear that spittle of rage was flying from his mouth. So I get up, throw the ball into a spin at his feet and say - Nice pass Jonathon, thanks :)

He hit my helmet from behind with his million dollar arm and his coach had to remove him from the field :lol: :lol:

we won the game....it wasn't the best interception and return in a high school game, but it was the most satisfying play I've been involved with because our offense kept the ball until the game was over

Goofy
02-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Football:

- Played up front at school, scored the winner in the Tullybelton Cup semi-final to beat Bankfoot 4-3 then slid down on my knees towards our own fans and they all leapt on :lol: (scored two in the final but we won something like 14-1 i think so it was more of a team success thing there :lol: ). Also scored from around the corner flag in a league game away at Dunkeld.

- Played in goal at Cubs, won a cup final at that too with me making a great late save to take the game into ET. Also remember a striker sliding in late on me one game so i stood up and booted him as hard as i could :lol: The ref sent him off and only booked me :mrgreen:

- Played centre half or right back at U12s, 13s and 14s - was also penalty taker and never missed one in 3 years (well, that's a slight lie, the keeper saved one but i scored with the rebound....... i even remember his name, Darren McGarry :lol: Haven't seen him in 15 years i bet). We also got to the final of a penalty shoot-out competition at U12s and the final was played at McDiarmid Park (St Johnstone FCs home ground) in front of a crowd of 6000+......... i scored my own penalty then gave two fingers to the Hearts fans :lol: We lost it though, 4-2 i think but i was just happy to have scored in front of a huge crowd like that :D

Tennis:

One runners-up singles trophy when i was about 12 or so :( It was either Gary Bell or Kris Busczek that beat me in the final :mrgreen:

Cricket:

A lot of trophies at junior level, U16s league with my village team every season i played, also won a cup with the County U16s. Personally - highest batting average in U16s, only player to take a hat-trick in a league match (actually took 4 in a row, 5 in the over ;) ), won the bowling averages with the senior side before my shoulder decided i shouldn't bowl quick any more :sad2: Took a few wickets after that bowling leg spin. Never managed a century though, my only regret :( Top score was 96.......... tried to hit a six and got bowled by a fucking Aussie :x Think his nickname was Woody, he was the overseas Amateur for their side........ Peter Woodford i think....... wanker. Took 3 catches in the first 3 overs of a match fielding at short leg once (that's the position nutcases field at, about a metre away from the batsman :lol: ) which is probably my most memorable day in the field. My village team actually got all the way to the "Small Clubs Cup Final" one year which was a pretty big thing for us as its a national competition....... unfortunately we lost :( I opened the batting that day, i think i was only about 17 or 18 years old at the time - scored 42 then got bowled around my legs trying to pull a leggie for 4 :( Took a wicket in their innins but we just didnt get enough with the bat. Just googled it and i found the scorecard online :lol: Not gonna post it though as that would reveal my identity :lol: Anyone desperate to see it can pm me. Can't remember much more from the cricket, played it from the age of 7 or 8 until my local club folded when i was around 23 so there were plenty good times :)

Golf:

Was half decent at it, could hit the ball a long way and sometimes it even went straight :mrgreen: Did win a lads outing at Dunkeld Golf Course though, the muppets gave me a 20 handicap and i blitzed the course :lol: Think i got about 85 over two rounds of stableford!

Bowls and Darts i'll add at a later date when i can be arsed with a ton more typing :dance: Got so many trophies lying around it's ridiculous, been meaning to make an "honours board" kind of thing then just take all the plaques off the trophies and put them on it to save space.

Oh, i've won a few pool comps too :thumbsup: Think i've just got good hand/eye co-ordination tbh, i picked up most sports pretty easily :)

DemonGeminiX
02-22-2014, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUOgIgLqOQ

DemonGeminiX
02-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Alright, alright:

I played little league baseball when I was kid, but I wasn't any good. It's funny how I love the sport so much today even though I sucked at playing it.

I played junior basketball, and I was ok at it, but my team sucked so I never went any where with it. Being on a shitty team kind of turned me off to the sport . I hate it to this day.

I started lifting weights and exercising hardcore around the time I gave up on basketball.

I got to high school and joined the football team as a sophomore. I played cornerback and was pretty damn good at it. Had 3 or 4 batted balls and 2 interceptions with 4 and a half tackles in my junior year. For the most part, I stuck my covered man like glue so they were hardly ever thrown to while I was on the field. The coaches tried getting me on the other side of the ball at wide receiver but I just didn't take to it. I liked hitting people too much. I had one touchdown, but for the most part I just blocked and tried to divert attention away from the other receivers and the running plays.

I told the story before, but one time in practice, I got knocked out by the biggest dude on our team. He was like 6' 4" and 230 lbs. of nothing but pure muscle. He was originally a linebacker, but they were looking for more production from the running game, so the coaches put him in at fullback. They ran a play towards me and I tried to tackle him but he ran my ass over. I guess I hit him too high. I was out for like a minute and a half. Coaches made me take off for a few practices to ensure the cobwebs cleared.

I followed in my brother's footsteps and joined the wrestling team. My first year, I sucked hard. I was like 1 - 13. But I stuck with it. Did a few summer wrestling clinics at the Naval Academy in Annapolis and at local colleges around home. Kept going to off season tournaments during the spring and summer, and working out like a madman. Anywho, my junior year, I was that much faster, stronger, and better. I went 13 - 7 and went to the State Tournament. I got my ass beat there, but it just stoked a fire in me to get better. Coaches across the state put me high up on the list to take the State in my senior year. Unfortunately, I got paralyzed the summer before my senior year and never got to see if I could make it happen. I wanted to go to the Olympic trials. We were all about trying to be Olympians. Keep in mind, this was around the time that John Smith was dominating the world, so we had lots of inspiration. It's too bad I didn't get to find out where I could have taken it.

But damn, those were good times.

Hal-9000
02-22-2014, 08:18 PM
I played baseball as well and never became good at it or interested in it....I could hit anything pitched at me but had no control where it went. I could run well and that was about it. I didn't have the game-sense necessary when making plays. I could throw hard but like my batting, no control where it went :lol:

I cut off and caught a hit in between second and third base, the play was to home plate. I launched the ball and just about hit the bleachers on the left side of the backstop, towards the first base line :lol:

Noilly Pratt
02-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Buncha jocks around here! :)

Not me - my brothers were jocks, I was the computer geek. I had to endure years of family dinners with football/baseball/hockey dominating the TV and the conversation. I'll watch hockey but the rest leave me cold. I steered well away from sports because of massive expectations, even though I probably had the body for track & field, so they all said.

As for work, I tried working with a friend installing sprinkler systems, a baggage boy at a grocery store, a car stereo installer for Radio Shack, a photographer (did weddings mostly with 35mm and medium format), and a janitor for a Dr. and a Dentist.

Did everything in computers -- sales, assembly, programming, support, software buyer and now asset management.

And, this glory is the one I'm most proud of..people call me an amazing Dad to my daughter, and I'm quickly becoming the cook of the house. 2 years ago I could barely reheat pizza, which would make me a late bloomer and all the glory I want in this world.

Yt Trash
02-23-2014, 02:55 PM
I played soccer from the age of 5 till High School. I was born in Brazil.(Soccer balls are first toy you receive as a male.)

I started wrestling in Jr High. Was a natural at it. Wrestled 167 through out my career from 7 grade through High School. I was a big kid young, and just leaned out through High School. Ranked 1st in county, but that was about it. Lost in Regionals.

Played Lacrosse from 7 grade through High School. Never held a cross and was recruited to field a team in JR high. Wanted to quit many times, but was peer pressured not to. After I got the hang of it, I loved the sport.

Side note, there were two brothers who recruited people to field a team, Darren Lowe, and Kevin Lowe. Both guys had great careers in Lacrosse and went on to play D1 lacrosse. Darren went to Brown and took them to 1st Round of NCAA championship, and Kevin won NCAA championship with Princeton. Both these guys played in National Lacrosse team to represent US, in Perth Australia and I believe Kevin actually played in Pro Box lacrosse league up north. Watching them play was something else.
They wouldn't let us quit the team, even with a losing season, they still wanted a bunch of kids with no skills to field a team in JR high.

I currently coach my sons U13 Recreational Lacrosse team here in town. It's a lot of fun, but these punk kids think they know it all. Some days I want to suit up in full gear and go out there and show them know it all how to really play.

I never played football. I had a really bad compound fracture of my left Elbow when I was 9 years old, so no Doctor would ever sign off and let me play. Go figure, I wrestled, and played Lacrosse( which you get wacked on your arms with a stick) and was allowed to do that, but no Football.

redred
02-23-2014, 04:41 PM
volleyball and cricket at school age , then banger racing ( bit like destruction derby but harder due to the fact you need to complete laps and smash cars at the same time)when i was in my late 20's