PDA

View Full Version : Alec Baldwin Says He's 'Done' with Public Life

Teh One Who Knocks
02-24-2014, 01:14 PM
By Stephen M. Silverman - People Magazine

http://i.imgur.com/xbuQOkU.jpg

No stranger to voicing his strong opinions, Alec Baldwin is now saying he's had enough – of public life and New York City.

"I've lived this for 30 years, I'm done with it," the actor and former MSNBC host, 55, states in his bylined New York magazine cover story that hit Sunday night.

"I'm aware that it's ironic that I'm making this case in the media," he writes, "but this is the last time I'm going to talk about my personal life in an American publication ever again."

He blames some of the events of 2013, which, he concedes, "was actually a great year, because my wife and I had a baby. But, yeah, everything else was pretty awful."

Baldwin acknowledges 2013 had him challenging accusations of homophobia, which cost him his reputation, his gig on MSNBC (he calls the network "as superfluous, as Fox") and his faith in the media, which he dubs "Hate Incorporated."

"I haven't changed," he insists, "but public life has."

He also slams media personalities Anderson Cooper (the "self-appointed Jack Valenti of gay media culture," says Baldwin; Valenti ran the Motion Picture Association of America, which rated movies for their content) and Rachel Maddow. Baldwin calls her a phony and says she tried to get him fired from MSNBC.

"Now I loathe and despise the media in a way I did not think possible," he says. "Paparazzi today are part of a network that includes the Huffington Post and, much to my dismay, even NBC News, in their reliance on tabloid reporting."

Casting his net beyond the press, Baldwin assesses the place he has called home since 1979. "I just can't live in New York anymore," the Long Island native writes. "Everything I hated about L.A. I'm beginning to crave. L.A. is a place where you live behind a gate, you get in a car, your interaction with the public is minimal. I used to hate that. But New York has changed."

Elsewhere in the 5,000-word essay, Baldwin touches upon his abandoned political plans and the backstage skirmish with Shia LaBeouf during last year's short-lived Broadway production of Orphans.

"LaBeouf seems to carry with him, to put it mildly, a jailhouse mentality wherever he goes," Baldwin writes. "He had that card, that card you get when you make films that make a lot of money that gives you a certain kind of entitlement. I think he was surprised that it didn't work in the theater."