PDA

View Full Version : 'Babies don't ski, no reason to bring them!' Judgmental letter reprimands horrified parents who took their 'screaming' child on vacation

Teh One Who Knocks
03-05-2014, 12:26 PM
The Daily Mail

http://i.imgur.com/32ZbY7A.jpg

Taking a baby on holiday can be a challenge for many a parent, but one couple were horrified when they received an anonymous complaint from a fellow guest under their hotel room door.

The judgmental note, shared by the mother's brother via his blog Dad On The Run last week, read: 'Thank you for bringing a screaming baby to a ski resort and wak[ing] up everyone near your room several times during the night.

'Babies don’t ski, no reason to bring them to a ski resort. They should stay at home with family or [a] nanny.'

The couple - who declined to reveal their identities - were staying at a ski resort in Colorado when the incident happened.

Their complainant continued in their handwritten objection: 'I never brought my babies to a place like this.

'I was considerate of others, not selfish. I stayed at home when I could not get help. We need more people who think of others and less selfish ones.

'Your baby['s] screams ruined our sleep on Saturday and Sunday. We planned this trip a year ago to ski hard all day and sleep at night so we could ski all day.

'Thanks to you, that was not the case. Hope you think of others around on your next trip. Thanks!'

Distraught, the mother shared the message with her brother, who immediately posted an open response on his blog, titled 'Don't Like Kids? How Very Childish.'

'I only write this in order to reassure my sister and brother-in-law that they are not doing anything wrong,' he stated in the opening line.

He went on to describe both his sister and brother-in-law as 'considerate' and kind' people.

In conclusion, he wrote: 'If it's not a child, it will be a dog; if it's not a dog, it will be a group of drunken fraternity members, or a construction crew, or a leaky faucet.

'Maybe loud lovers, the TV in the next room, or a neighbor who leaves their radio clock on all night that will disturb your slumber. It's always something, isn't it?

'I teach my children we can't control the actions of others, but we can control our own reactions. We can choose every day whether to let life's little inconveniences make us miserable, or to smile and carry on.'

While many readers related to the new parent's pain, some criticized them for choosing a ski resort as their first vacation destination.

'I would have been a little aggravated myself, especially after planning for over a year! It doesn't sound like a relaxing vacation to me,' one wrote.

Another added: 'It makes little sense to me to take a child that young to a ski resort.'

On the lifestyle website Real Simple, etiquette expert, Catherine Newman recommends commiserating with parents instead of complaining if a child's noise level becomes an issue.

'It’s tough to complain about a baby’s decibel level to his parents without sounding like an ogre.

'You might say, kindly (and truthfully) . . . ."Wow, it sounds like your baby is really having a rough time."

'Your comment will offer them compassion, as well as a reality check. (Oh, right, the walls aren’t soundproof.) And perhaps it will give them an opportunity to explain their child’s unhappiness. After all, you might feel more tolerant if you learn that the baby is, say, teething.'