PDA

View Full Version : Former Colorado teacher caught having sex with student gets probation

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2011, 01:09 PM
By Pamela Dickman - The Loveland Reporter-Herald

http://i.imgur.com/Fnpph.jpg

FORT COLLINS — The 16-year-old caught having sex with instructional coach Courtney Bowles asked the judge for the least punishment possible.

For that reason, and because she has already suffered greatly, Judge Stephen Howard, at a Monday hearing, sentenced the 31-year-old to 10 years of sex offender probation, treatment and 80 hours public service.

And he lifted the order preventing Bowles, a former Mountain View High School employee, from seeing her own young daughters.

“It is clear there was a huge impact on the victim,” Howard said, referring to a written statement the Loveland teen submitted.

“He also says he believes Miss Bowles should get the least and is not asking for punitive sanctions. ...

“She has already been adequately punished, and this will be an ongoing thing for many years.”

Bowles pleaded guilty in a plea agreement to child abuse causing serious bodily injury with a sexual basis.

She could have been sentenced to up to 90 days in jail on top of probation.

A Loveland police officer caught Bowles and the teen in a vehicle in North Lake Park after hours Jan. 21.

Since her arrest, she has been prevented from seeing her own children, resigned from her job and split from her husband. Her attorney, Derek Samuelson, said each of those has been a huge punishment for Bowles, who until this incident was an upstanding citizen.

Still, prosecutor Renee Doak asked the judge to sentence Bowles to jail as well to send a message of the harm to the teen, who feels as though he may have to change schools, has been treated differently at school and has lost his trust for teachers.

“She has gotten the message loud and clear,” countered Samuelson.

The judge agreed.

Bowles will be on intensive supervised probation for 10 years and must register as a sex offender.

For that program, she must also move to Fort Collins from Estes Park, where she has been living and working.

Bowles, and her family and friends, breathed sighs of relief and she wiped tears from her eyes when the judge announced she could see her children.

While she did not speak after the hearing, Bowles broke her silence about the case in court to express “how extremely sorry I am.”

The teenager and his family did not appear in court.

Muddy
05-10-2011, 01:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0I6mhZ5wMw&feature=related

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I wonder if a male teacher would have gotten off with only probation if he had sex with a 16 year old female student? :-k

Muddy
05-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Probably not.. You know how were wired though..

FBD
05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
*calls bullshit*

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
*waits for RBP*

RBP
05-10-2011, 02:18 PM
:x I love the first sentence of the article... "the 16-year-old caught have sex" really? You mean the kid being molested?

I wonder if a male teacher would have gotten off with only probation if he had sex with a 16 year old female student? :-k

Oh Fuck no. They would have never plead it out in the first place. No time is ridiculous.

RBP
05-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Probably not.. You know how were wired though..

No, I don't. How are "we" wired?

FBD
05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
:roll: wired to give in to any urge and then blame it upon one's nature? :hand: puh-leeze...that's not to deny the strength of fleshy desires, millions have lost their lives over it...but when you are doing something wrong, you KNOW its wrong, yet you continue to do it anyway... :lala: