PDA

View Full Version : ABC, CNN, NBC not reporting terror attempts anymore?

FBD
05-10-2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/09/suspect-flight-disturbance-calif-id/
Suspect in flight disturbance had Calif. ID

Published May 09, 2011

| Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO – The passengers sat stunned as they watched a man walk quickly toward the front of American Airlines Flight 1561 as it was descending toward San Francisco. He was screaming and then began pounding on the cockpit door.

"I kept saying to myself: 'What's he doing? Does he have a bomb? Is he armed?'" passenger Angelina Marty said.

Within moments Sunday, a flight attendant tackled Rageh Almurisi. Authorities do not yet have a motive.

While authorities said that Almurisi, 28, of Vallejo, Calif., has no clear or known ties to terrorism, the incident underscored fears that extremists may try to mount attacks to retaliate for the death of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden last week.

Federal agents are investigating Almurisi's background. He was carrying a Yemeni passport and a California identification card, authorities said.

Yemen, a nation at the southern tip of the Arabian peninsula, has been a focus of U.S. officials because one of the most active branches of al-Qaida operates in the remote part of the country.

Almurisi went toward the cockpit door 30 minutes before the flight from Chicago was supposed to land on Sunday night, San Francisco airport police Sgt. Michael Rodriguez said. Almurisi was yelling unintelligibly as he brushed past a flight attendant.

Marty, 35, recalled that she and other passengers on the plane were stunned when they saw Almurisi walking down the aisle. She said a woman in a row across from her who speaks Arabic translated that Almurisi said "God is Great!" in Arabic.

Andrew Wai, another passenger, told KGO-TV on Monday that the wife of one of the men who took Almurisi down later said Almurisi was yelling "Allahu Akbar."

"There was no question in everybody's mind that he was going to do something," Marty said.

A male flight attendant tackled Almurisi, and other crew members and passengers, including a retired Secret Service agent and a retired San Mateo police officer, helped subdue him as he banged on the door, police said. The flight attendant put plastic handcuffs on him.

"Everybody was fixated on him," Marty said. "You never think that something like that would happen in your life."

Wai also said Almurisi appeared "fidgety" in his seat when he saw him on the way to the bathroom earlier in the flight.

The Boeing 737 carrying 162 people landed safely at 9:10 p.m. Almurisi was placed into police custody, as some passengers cried.

"Flight attendants were trying to soothe different passengers," Wai said. "We were all looking at our lives flash before our eyes."

Federal authorities took Almurisi into custody Monday morning after he spent the night at the San Mateo County jail, said San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Karen Guidotti. Almurisi was being held on suspicion of interfering with a flight crew, a federal offense, according to authorities.

No one else was hurt and the airport continued operating normally with security levels unchanged, the officer said.

There were two other mid-air disturbances on Sunday.

A 34-year-old man from Illinois tried to open a plane door on a Continental Airlines flight from Houston to Chicago. Investigators questioned him, but did not file charges.

There was a security scare aboard a Delta Air Lines flight from Detroit to San Diego, prompting it to land in Albuquerque, N.M. Authorities did not release any more details, except to say that "no suspicious devices" were found. No one was arrested.

Deepsepia
05-10-2011, 09:02 PM
He seems just to have been a crazy person.

Hard to report on it as an "attempted terrorism" when there's no evidence that it was . . . this guy didn't seem to have any more of a plan than pounding on the door to the cockpit . . . not much of a threat to anything except peace of mind.

And for those who bitch about TSA inspections, this would be more evidence why we need to inspect people, even those who "don't fit the profile". There are crazy folks out there . . . some of them are from the Middle East, but some aren't

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2011, 09:05 PM

Hard to report on it as an "attempted terrorism" when there's no evidence that it was . . . this guy didn't seem to have any more of a plan than pounding on the door to the cockpit . . . not much of a threat to anything except peace of mind.

This ^^^

AntZ
05-10-2011, 09:17 PM
'Maybe he was looking for the bathroom': Family defends Yemeni passenger who stormed cockpit, shouting 'Allahu Akbar' as plane came in to land at San Francisco

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385083/Rageit-Almurisi-Family-defends-Yemeni-man-stormed-cockpit-San-Francisco-flight.html?ITO=1490

Hal-9000
05-10-2011, 09:18 PM
he was trying to warn the pilots about the guy sitting behind him...........

Teh One Who Knocks
05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
he was trying to warn the pilots about the guy sitting behind him...........

I'd probably complain if Admiral Ackbar was behind me too....I hear he doesn't shower.

Deepsepia
05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Maybe he was looking for the bathroom': Family defends Yemeni passenger who stormed cockpit, shouting 'Allahu Akbar' as plane came in to land at San Francisco

That's what I say when I really need to go . . . clears out the line.

Hal-9000
05-10-2011, 09:36 PM
IMO....in light of what happened on 911, there should be a zero/no fucking around tolerance policy when it comes to the cockpit area...

Deepsepia
05-10-2011, 09:41 PM
IMO....in light of what happened on 911, there should be a zero/no fucking around tolerance policy when it comes to the cockpit area...

There isn't. I was just on a flight, a guy is hanging around waiting for the toilet, stewardess asks him to sit down, he bitches at her, up pop two sky marshals who have a polite but firm conversation with our friend.

And the 9/11 scenario isn't really possible any more-- back then, the pilots opened the door to the hijackers . . . now they're behind an armored door, with instruction not to open it for anyone.

Hal-9000
05-10-2011, 11:18 PM
It would make me nervous as a passenger seeing some guy pounding on the cockpit door and acting suspiciously...I guess that's what 911 has done to me.

lost in melb.
05-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Clearly hijacking planes has gone out of fashion [-(

DemonGeminiX
05-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I'd probably complain if Admiral Ackbar was behind me too....I hear he doesn't shower.

At least he'd let you know if you were in danger of being caught doing something.

Hal-9000
05-11-2011, 12:58 AM
It's a trap! :shock:

:dance:

FBD
05-11-2011, 04:30 AM

And for those who bitch about TSA inspections, this would be more evidence why we need to inspect people, even those who "don't fit the profile". There are crazy folks out there . . . some of them are from the Middle East, but some aren't

are you fucking kidding me? the guy's ignorance is the reason for the inept attempt, but do you think for one second that going at the pilot's door should be considered anything less than an attempt at terrorism? 30 minutes before landing?

gtfo with that blindfolded PC puke bullshit. I seriously hope the people who are in charge of our security dont have your imagination.

Deepsepia
05-11-2011, 10:30 AM
are you fucking kidding me? the guy's ignorance is the reason for the inept attempt, but do you think for one second that going at the pilot's door should be considered anything less than an attempt at terrorism? 30 minutes before landing?

gtfo with that blindfolded PC puke bullshit. I seriously hope the people who are in charge of our security dont have your imagination.

Who knows what motivated this guy? Do you?

He clearly had no practical plan, as the cockpit doors are armored, and pilots won't open them for anyone . . . both facts are quite well known.

I'm not sure what your idea of "terrorism" is . . . but what this guy did was bang on a cockpit door. Could he have been motivated by hatred of America or revenge for bin Laden? Sure. Or he could have had something else in mind . . . whatever the case, he clearly hadn't done even the most basic research on aviation security, the kind of thing that someone with intent does.

The world includes lots of crazy people who fortunately have no practical plan for putting into effect their crazy ideas . . . I don't worry much about them, beyond wanting to be sure that they don't get their hands on weapons.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2011, 10:44 AM

I'd like to see the evidence you have that you haven't shared with us that proves this was an act of 'terrorism' :-k

Oh, I'm sorry, I must also be blinded by PC because I don't agree with you either :rolleyes:

FBD
05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Who knows what motivated this guy? Do you?

He clearly had no practical plan, as the cockpit doors are armored, and pilots won't open them for anyone . . . both facts are quite well known.

I'm not sure what your idea of "terrorism" is . . . but what this guy did was bang on a cockpit door. Could he have been motivated by hatred of America or revenge for bin Laden? Sure. Or he could have had something else in mind . . . whatever the case, he clearly hadn't done even the most basic research on aviation security, the kind of thing that someone with intent does.

The world includes lots of crazy people who fortunately have no practical plan for putting into effect their crazy ideas . . . I don't worry much about them, beyond wanting to be sure that they don't get their hands on weapons.
Sorry bud, your position goes well beyond naivete and heads straight into the realm of willful ignorance. You trying to say that some nut who jumps up when the plane is getting close to landing and goes at the cockpit door yelling AA is oh, just some mentally disturbed individual, not someone with a terrorist bent, intent on crashing the plane? 2+2 isnt that hard of an equation to solve. Of course neither you nor I can get into his head but come on - dismissing things like this is absolutely f'n stupid. Regardless of his "true intentions," we need to throw the book at this asshole and treat this seriously! If you say "I have a bomb" in the airport, they are for DAMN sure going to treat it seriously, so why is there this big PC urge to downplay his motives simply because the perp made a huge tactical error in his mission?

If I go into a bank, tell them I have a gun and to hand over money, and begin trying to break the plexiglass, am I just some disturbed individual, or am I a fkn BANK ROBBER? Regardless of...oh, shit, that's bulletproof glass, and now that I've taken to trying to put the butt of my gun through it after half my clip didnt do much to it, I'm realizing this shit just is NOT breaking...

Why, I'm no bank robber, didnt I know there was bulletproof glass and the cops will show up long before I'm able to break through it! Charge me with some disorderly conduct or something instead of an attempt at something grandiose and seriously disruptive???

:roll: Wake up and get real!!! Keep treating terrorists like 8 year old children and its not going to be long before we're revisiting 9/11.

So if my view doesnt seem quite right, why not ask the police officer who was on the plane that subdued him?
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Hero-of-Chicago-to-SFO-Flight-Speaks-Out-121602259.html

Wright said he was sitting in seat 20C when he noticed a fellow passenger walking past. "As I turned, there was a person walking past me. He rapidly broke into a trot... then yelled 'Allahu akbar.'" Wright said from his training as a police office he knew there was a problem and he immediately got up and followed the man. He said when he reached him, he was at the cockpit door. Wright said he put him in a control hold with the help of four or five other people.

"I started thinking about the possible scenarios that could be playing out here. There could’ve been a contaminant of sorts. There could’ve been an unexploded ordinance on the gentleman, so I asked if they had any more flexcuffs," Wright said.

Wright said he physically sat on top of al-Murisi for the remainder of the flight. By that time, al-Murisi had both his arms and his legs in plastic handcuffs and a belt and he was barefoot after Wright and another stripped him of his shoes and socks.
Wright said al-Murisi never spoke to him directly but said “Allahu akbar” some more 30 times during the duration of the flight.

Since when does “Allahu Akbar” mean “I have to take a dump”?

Acid Trip
05-11-2011, 05:20 PM

Better to bitch about something that goes against our morals than ignore it and be a mindless sheep. The Founding Fathers started out bitching too and that worked out pretty well in the end wouldn't you say?

Muddy
05-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Since when does “Allahu Akbar” mean “I have to take a dump”?

:lol: comedy..

FBD
05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
:dance: and besides, you arent allowed to take a dump during the approach anyway :lol:

Muddy
05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
I didnt read all the words in this thread because I would fall asleep.. But really... if the dude was chanting Allah Akbar then he should have been treated as a potential terrorist..

Deepsepia
05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Better to bitch about something that goes against our morals than ignore it and be a mindless sheep. The Founding Fathers started out bitching too and that worked out pretty well in the end wouldn't you say?

I fly all the time. I get TSA inspections all the time. The whiners are just whiners, and to simultaneously complain that we don't pay enough attention to terrorist threats and that the inspections are too intrusive is a contradiction. Paying attention to the threat of terrorism means taking steps to protect people on planes.

Everyone willing to fly "no inspections airlines" raise your hands. Me, I really don't care about a pat down, and am happy to see my fellow passengers inspected too.