PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist killed after hitting I-394 pothole at 100-plus mph

Teh One Who Knocks
03-13-2014, 11:46 AM
By Joseph Lindberg - Pioneer Press

A motorcyclist is dead after hitting a pothole at more than 100 mph on Interstate 394 in Minneapolis on Tuesday night.

Eyewitnesses saw two motorcyclists traveling east on I-394 at "very, very high rates of speed," said Minnesota State Patrol Lt. Jason Bartell.

The motorcycles were going between 100 and 120 mph, he said.

Shortly before 10 p.m., Anand Baskaran, 30, of East Northport, N.Y., was ejected after hitting a pothole and losing control near Theodore Wirth Parkway, according to the State Patrol. KSTP-TV reported that Baskaran was an information technology employee at 3M Co.

Witnesses said Baskaran had been wearing a helmet, although those first on the scene did not observe one. A helmet was later recovered at the scene.

The other motorcyclist "took off," Bartell said, and authorities are looking for that person, who is described as driving a black 2009-10 Honda CBR sport-style motorcycle.

It was not immediately clear whether the two motorcyclists were racing. The State Patrol did not receive any reports of the bikers weaving through traffic, Bartell said.

This is Minnesota's first death of a motorcyclist in 2014, according to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

Fifty-two people have died on Minnesota roads since Jan. 1, according to the department. At least 13 have occurred since Feb. 28, three more than this time last year.

Muddy
03-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Not to be an ass, but... Slow down, the speed limit is there for a reason.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Not to be an ass, but... Slow down, the speed limit is there for a reason.

You're not being an ass at all, that's why I tagged this with the Darwin tag. He got what he deserved. Just thank goodness he didn't injure anyone else with his stupidity.

FBD
03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
pot holes are bad, mmkay...
that must have been a pretty good sized pothole...gotta really pay attention when its life and death

deebakes
03-14-2014, 12:12 AM
:rip: immigrant

DemonGeminiX
03-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Looks like a position in information technology just opened up at the 3M Co. in Minneapolis.

Muddy
03-14-2014, 12:31 AM
Dee lives there...

deebakes
03-15-2014, 02:02 AM
Looks like a position in information technology just opened up at the 3M Co. in Minneapolis.

technically it is in st. paul... and my brother actually does work in the i.t. department for 3M :lol:

Hugh_Janus
03-15-2014, 11:18 AM
I thought you lot said speed limits are bad :shrug: