PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried or know much about speed reading?

Godfather
03-18-2014, 05:25 AM
Sorry if this has been posted but seriously you have to check out Spritz Inc (Samsung's 'new' speed reading program). It is basically all surrounding the idea that we waste a fuckton of time reading by moving our eyes and dancing around words. We read slowly as a result and get distracted because we can have an internal dialogue while our eyes go through the motions. I know I'll sometimes read a page and go 'what the hell did I just read.'

http://www.spritzinc.com/

I'm pretty intrigued by this. I was up to the full 600wmp in very little time and felt like after a couple tries I was comprehending quite well. Not for fiction and pleasure reading, but the newspaper and shit like that might be perfect for this on your phone.

Anyways, it's not free but this site is:
http://www.spreeder.com/

Basically drag it to your bookmark bar, then click it whenever you want to speedread a site. I'm testing it for myself now on the news. I'll give it a go for a few weeks and report back.

Anyone else have any interest or knowledge about this?

DemonGeminiX
03-18-2014, 08:08 AM
People say it's possible. Apparently, there are world championship competitions regarding the ability. I believe several past US Presidents touted and encouraged people to develop the ability.

FBD
03-18-2014, 12:33 PM
I can do sizeable chunks at once and skim pretty effectively, but to have any depth of comprehension, thought, or to be able to sum it up...cant go that fast. If I want to remember damn near every bit, it gets narrated in my head at a slow pace.

Noilly Pratt
03-18-2014, 02:53 PM
As a kid there were ads for "Evelyn Wood speed-reading" A family friend bought her book and said she saw an improvement...but further than that I don't know. I've always been a fast reader, so I didn't persue it further.

Hal-9000
03-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes when I was doing the trivia challenge here I found that Lance and I read pretty fast, with comprehension.....never have tried a method to improve though

Acid Trip
03-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I learned to speed read using the finger trick that website mentions. Your finger moves faster than you can "read" but all the while your brain/eyes are seeing all the words fly by (just behind your finger).

It's amazing how fast the brain can comprehend. It's almost like you aren't even reading but being fed information instead.

Godfather
03-19-2014, 05:06 AM
This is pretty unique from tradition non computer-based techniques though... having the program move the words for you stops you from needing to move your eyes which is where the inefficiency seems to lie.

I never believed those infomercials but this is so different. You can actually see is working without any practice at all.

Hal-9000
03-19-2014, 03:02 PM
I had to learn how to read again using an ereader...the width is smaller and my eyes are still looking for 10 words or so on each line :lol:

Goofy
03-19-2014, 06:52 PM
I just skimmed through this thread........ something about reading or something :-k