PDA

View Full Version : Russia moves to annex Crimea, laughs at US sanctions

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2014, 10:55 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/3NUaJDc.jpg

Russian President Vladimir Putin moved forward on Tuesday with the process of bringing Crimea into Russia, approving a draft bill to formalize the annexation of the Black Sea peninsula, a day after recognizing Crimea as an independent state.

Putin approved the draft bill and notified the government and both chambers of the Russian parliament of Crimea's request ahead of his afternoon speech in which he is expected to stake Russia's claim to the region.

The steps came a day after Putin signed a decree recognizing Crimea as a "sovereign and independent country" hours after the United States and the European Union announced asset freezes and other sanctions against Russian and Ukrainian officials involved in the Crimean crisis.

President Obama warned Monday that more would come if Russia didn't stop interfering in Ukraine.

"We'll continue to make clear to Russia that further provocations will achieve nothing except to further isolate Russia and diminish its place in the world," Obama said at the White House shortly after the penalties were announced.

The decree signed by Putin and posted on the official government website Tuesday morning is one of the steps which would formalize the annexation of Crimea. The treaty to annex Crimea has to be signed by leaders of Russia and Crimea, approved by the Constitutional Court and then be ratified by the parliament.

Residents of Crimea voted overwhelmingly Sunday in favor of the split, and Crimea's parliament declared the region an independent state on Monday.

The Crimean parliament declared that all Ukrainian state property on the peninsula will be nationalized and become the property of the Crimean Republic. It gave no further details. Lawmakers also asked the United Nations and other nations to recognize it and began work on setting up a central bank with $30 million in support from Russia.

Crimean Deputy Prime Minister Rustam Temirgaliyev said in an interview with RIA Novosti on Tuesday that the peninsula has already received some financial aid from Russia but stopped short of saying how much.

Many in the ethnic Tatar minority in Crimea were wary of the referendum, fearing that Crimea's break-off from Ukraine would set off violence against them. Temirgaliyev seemed to confirm those fears, saying that the government would ask Tatars to "vacate" some of the lands they "illegally" occupy so authorities can use them for "social needs."

Moscow showed no signs of flinching in the dispute that has roiled Ukraine since Russian troops took effective control of the strategic Black Sea peninsula last month. In fact, one of the Russians named openly mocked the sanctions.

"Comrade Obama, what should those who have neither accounts nor property abroad do? Have you not thought about it?" Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin tweeted. "I think the decree of the President of the United States was written by some joker."

The State Duma, the lower chamber of parliament, on Tuesday unanimously passed a resolution condemning sanctions which targeted Russian officials including members of the chamber. The chamber urged President Obama to extend the sanctions to all the 353 deputies who had voted for the resolution. Eighty-eight deputies left the house before the vote.

Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, in remarks carried Tuesday by online newspaper Slon.ru, said Crimea's vote offered residents the freedom of choice and justly reflected their will. The referendum showed that "people really wanted to return to Russia" and was a "happy event," he said. Gorbachev added that the Crimean referendum set an example for people in Russian-speaking in eastern Ukraine, who also should decide their fate.

The sanctions freeze any assets the targeted individuals have under U.S. jurisdiction, make it illegal for Americans to do business with them and discourage international banks and financial institutions from having relationships with them, administration officials said. The officials, however, would or could not say if those targeted actually have assets in U.S. jurisdictions.

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said Tuesday that leaders of the Group of Eight world powers have suspended Russia's participation in the club amid tensions over Ukraine and Russia's incursion into Crimea.

The other seven members of the group had already suspended preparations for a G-8 summit that Russia is scheduled to host in June in Sochi.

Moscow, meanwhile, called on Ukraine to become a federal state as a way of resolving the polarization between Ukraine's western regions — which favor closer ties with the 28-nation EU — and its eastern areas, which have long ties to Russia.

In a statement Monday, Russia's Foreign Ministry urged Ukraine's parliament to call a constitutional assembly that could draft a new constitution to make the country federal, handing more power to its regions. It also said the country should adopt a "neutral political and military status," a demand reflecting Moscow's concern that Ukraine might join NATO and establish closer political and economic ties with the EU.

Russia is also pushing for Russian to become one of Ukraine's state languages, in addition to Ukrainian.

In Kiev, Ukraine's new government dismissed Russia's proposal as unacceptable, saying it "looks like an ultimatum."

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Deshchytsya visited NATO headquarters in Brussels to request technical equipment to deal with the secession of Crimea and the Russian incursion there.

NATO said in a statement that the alliance was determined to boost its cooperation with Ukraine, including "increased ties with Ukraine's political and military leadership."

Hal-9000
03-18-2014, 08:17 PM
just got annexed this morning if I heard the news correctly..

resistance is futile

PorkChopSandwiches
03-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Obama is a joker

redred
03-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Ukraine has kept it since 1991 they just want it back now

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Ukraine has kept it since 1991 they just want it back now

Wrong :hand:

Crimea has been part of Ukraine since 1954

Joebob034
03-19-2014, 03:33 AM
So maybe I'm clueless about this whole, but if they voted to be a part of Russia, why not let them? Again, I'm no international relations expert

RBP
03-19-2014, 03:54 AM
So maybe I'm clueless about this whole, but if they voted to be a part of Russia, why not let them? Again, I'm no international relations expert

Ron Paul has asked that question. He asked how this is any different than Scotland.

I suppose the difference is the external influence and control. It's a matter of whether you can trust that the will of people is not the will of the Kremlin.

Godfather
03-19-2014, 05:18 AM

I guess for one thing, the issue is more complicated ethnically than what just what the pro-Russian majority wants. The native Crimean Tatars are one factor and have been victims of the Russians a few times - most recently when the Soviets force-marched them up to Uzbekistan & Siberia in the 40's. They died by the tens of thousands (maybe up to half their population) and were turned into slaves and exiled. It has largely been through harassment and outright genocide that Russian gained the ethnic majority in the region since the 1900's, so it's hard to be entirely supportive of their wishes. Some people call that ironic given our history with our own Natives, but I'll leave that one for others to comment on.

I'm sure Tatars who returned 'home' after Ukrainian independence and the fall of the USSR are scared shitless now. A Tatar activist in the region was killed recently, there are rumblings Tartars will be asked to 'vacate their land' and there are reports of marks being placed on their home. Suffice it to say there are many in Crimea who have excellent reason to oppose being annexed.

Here you can see the population transfer. Notice how they disappear during WWII. Tatar = Green, Russians = Red
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/%D0%9D%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D 1%8F_%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BC%D1%83_%D1%83_18-21_%D1%81%D1%82.jpg/800px-%D0%9D%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D 1%8F_%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BC%D1%83_%D1%83_18-21_%D1%81%D1%82.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Ron Paul has asked that question. He asked how this is any different than Scotland.

I suppose the difference is the external influence and control. It's a matter of whether you can trust that the will of people is not the will of the Kremlin.

Maybe because staying part of Ukraine wasn't even an option on the ballot to begin with...

Godfather
03-20-2014, 02:05 AM
:lol: