PDA

View Full Version : Gwar frontman Dave Brockie aka Oderus Urungus dies, aged 50

PorkChopSandwiches
03-24-2014, 03:41 PM
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/13/618x405/david-brockie.jpg

Gwar frontman Dave Brockie has died at the age of 50.

The metal star, known to fans by his stage name Oderus Urungus, was found dead at his home yesterday evening (March 23) by his roommate.

"Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've known," ex-GWAR bassist Mike Bishop told Richmond's Style Weekly.

"He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art."

Richmond Police Department spokeswoman Dionne Waugh later added to the magazine that they "do not suspect foul play at this time".

Gwar's manager Jack Flanagan later said: "It is with a saddened heart that I confirm my dear friend Dave Brockie, artist, musician, and lead singer of GWAR passed away at approximately 6:50 PM EST Sunday March 23, 2014.

"His body was found Sunday by his band mate at his home in Richmond, VA. Richmond authorities have confirmed his death and next of kin has been notified. A full autopsy will be performed. He was 50 years old, born August 30, 1963.

"My main focus right now is to look after my band mates and his family. More information regarding his death shall be released as the details are confirmed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ud1DluFNCe0

Lamb of God frontman Randall Blythe wrote on Instagram: "I got a very sad call tonight from my buddy Chris Bopst, who was one of the original members of GWAR- my friend Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus, the singer of GWAR, has left the building & taken off back to his home planet.

"When someone dies, a lot of the time people will say, 'Oh, he was a unique person, really one of a kind, a true original' - most of these people no idea of what they are talking about- they obviously had never met Dave.

"Dave TRULY WAS ONE OF A KIND - I can't think of ANYONE even remotely like him. That's VERY HARD TO SAY."

Former Gwar guitarist Steve Douglas wrote on Facebook: "I have had a few bad days in my life but this one truly ranks right up there.

"Dave Brockie, I do not know what happened to you yet, but I know you are gone and it is hurting very badly!"

Brockie founded Gwar in 1984 and the band released their 13th studio album Battle Maximus last year.

The band were due to play their fifth GWAR-B-Q at Hadad's Water Park in Richmond, VA on Saturday, August 16.

Watch a recent video interview with Dave Brockie as Oderus Urungus below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eA9TRtZAOB4

FBD
03-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Why is it when I go to see a band I havent seen in forever, and say, nah, fuck it, I have this and that I need to do...some motherfucker winds up dead. :( :rip: This guy was awesome, his charisma is about the only reason Gwar was able to still be a band in this day and age, when lots of people thought Gwar would have been a long dead joke by now.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
:rip:

I've been to their shows multiple times, fucking rocked \m/

Muddy
03-24-2014, 03:58 PM
A Richmond local.. LOG as well.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-24-2014, 04:07 PM
You guys can churn out some good metal

DemonGeminiX
03-24-2014, 04:47 PM
:rip:

Muddy
03-24-2014, 05:20 PM
You guys can churn out some good metal

We have a good scene for it with the hidden and old state of Richmond.. They come out of the basements and old warehouses..

Muddy
03-24-2014, 11:20 PM
This is fucking awesome..!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baExq6xNhQ8

deebakes
03-25-2014, 01:49 AM
:rip: gwar

Muddy
03-25-2014, 02:08 AM
Really man..

deebakes
03-25-2014, 02:23 AM
badass lizards from another fucking planet :(

FBD
03-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Really man..

agree w dee, unfortunately. I dont see Gwar being able to replace the dude that made it all happen and kept it all going all these years.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Didnt elize they were grammy nominated :lol:

Gwar has been nominated for two Grammy Awards, but lost to Annie Lennox and Nine Inch Nails.

"S.F.W." – Best Metal Performance, 1995 (nomination). Lost to Nine Inch Nails.
Phallus in Wonderland – Best Long Form Music Video 1993 (nomination). Lost to Annie Lennox.

Muddy
03-25-2014, 05:07 PM
agree w dee, unfortunately. I dont see Gwar being able to replace the dude that made it all happen and kept it all going all these years.

Heck no, man.. Dave Brockie was gwar...

Teh One Who Knocks
03-25-2014, 05:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RYRcztHvYw

FBD
04-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Heck no, man.. Dave Brockie was gwar...

my buddy dave said if they ever have tryouts, he's all over it :lol:

...and I cant wait for him to send in a kermit tape to the muppets, he does the best kermit since jim henson, performed rainbow connection at his h.s. talent show. (its just sad he didnt take it one step further and finish it with Piggy Got Back, he had lyrics done up and everything...)