PDA

View Full Version : Judge: IP-Address Is Not a Person and Can’t Identify a BitTorrent Pirate

Teh One Who Knocks
03-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Torrent Freak

http://i.imgur.com/UNm9D3C.jpg

An important ruling in Florida has made it more difficult for copyright holders to extract cash settlements from alleged BitTorrent pirates. District Court Judge Ursula Ungaro dismissed a lawsuit filed by Malibu Media, arguing that the IP-address evidence can't identify the person who actually downloaded the pirated file.

Over the past several years hundreds of thousands of alleged BitTorrent pirates have been sued by so-called ‘copyright trolls’ in the United States.

The rightsholders bringing these cases generally rely on an IP address as evidence. They then ask the courts to grant a subpoena, forcing Internet providers to hand over the personal details of the associated account holder.

The problem, however, is that the person listed as the account holder is often not the person who downloaded the infringing material. Although not many judges address this crucial issue early on, there are exceptions, such as the one raised by Florida District Court Judge Ursula Ungaro.

Judge Ungaro was presented with a case brought by Malibu Media, who accused IP-address “174.61.81.171″ of sharing one of their films using BitTorrent without their permission. The Judge, however, was reluctant to issue a subpoena, and asked the company to explain how they could identify the actual infringer.

Responding to this order to show cause, Malibu Media gave an overview of their data gathering techniques. Among other things they explained that geo-location software was used to pinpoint the right location, and how they made sure that it was a residential address, and not a public hotspot.

Judge Ungaro welcomed the additional details, but saw nothing that actually proves that the account holder is the person who downloaded the file.

“Plaintiff has shown that the geolocation software can provide a location for an infringing IP address; however, Plaintiff has not shown how this geolocation software can establish the identity of the Defendant,” Ungaro wrote in an order last week.

“There is nothing that links the IP address location to the identity of the person actually downloading and viewing Plaintiff’s videos, and establishing whether that person lives in this district,” she adds.

Even if Malibu Media can accurately show that the copyright infringer used the Internet connection of the account holder connected to IP-address 174.61.81.171, they still can’t prove who shared the file.

“Even if this IP address is located within a residence, the geolocation software cannot identify who has access to that residence’s computer and who would actually be using it to infringe Plaintiff’s copyright,” Judge Ungaro explains.

As a result, the court decided to dismiss the case for improper venue. The ruling is crucial as it’s another unique order confirming that an IP address alone is not enough to launch a copyright infringement lawsuit.

Copyright Troll watcher SJD points out that the same Judge has also issued orders to show cause in two other Malibu Media cases, which are also likely to be closed.

While not all judges may come to the same conclusion, the order definitely limits the options for copyright holders in the Southern District of Florida. Together with several similar rulings on the insufficiency of IP-address evidence, accused downloaders have yet more ammunition to fight back.

Muddy
03-26-2014, 12:46 PM
If someone steals your bandwidth from a wireless router do they share your IP address?

FBD
03-26-2014, 01:18 PM
you got that right

Muddy
03-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Well then I agree with the judge...

PorkChopSandwiches
03-26-2014, 04:02 PM
:woot:

Noilly Pratt
03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
...and you only lease an address for a finite amount of time. It's not like a license plate. At least for homes it's like that...

Wonder if the gov't will put pressure on making people "buy" an IP address for a given provider...

DemonGeminiX
03-26-2014, 07:27 PM
If someone steals your bandwidth from a wireless router do they share your IP address?

I've seen Mick demonstrate how one can spoof ip addresses. It's too bad he's not here to verify it himself.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Its easy to do, you could always just use a proxy or a VPN. If you log into a VPN your out facing IP becomes that of that network. So for example if I log into my company, then start using the torrents it looks as if I'm coming out of New York.

Hal-9000
03-26-2014, 07:37 PM

In the old days a talented hacker could use your IP (after gaining access into your computer without you knowing) and sell illegal third party software etc....the only thing you'd notice would be slowdowns and delays. If "you" did enough business through your IP, the federales would show up to arrest you and the hacker would never be discovered.

DemonGeminiX
03-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Its easy to do, you could always just use a proxy or a VPN. If you log into a VPN your out facing IP becomes that of that network. So for example if I log into my company, then start using the torrents it looks as if I'm coming out of New York.

I know about VPNs and proxies, but Mick specified the IP address himself. He could make it look like he was on my network using my IP address rather than just some randomly assigned IP. I don't know how to do that. Can you do that with proxies and VPNs?

Hal-9000
03-26-2014, 07:41 PM
so the story above is a good ruling....it's like someone stealing your car and committing felonies. They can't really place you as the 'driver'.

Also there's another thing with pirating in general - On all of the torrent sites, torrent clients and hosting sites...I've never seen a written warning saying the practice is illegal. A good lawyer could help you plead dumb if it went to trial.

And another thing about torrents...since multiple users are giving you only tiny bits of the full file, a court could never prove who the supplier was....3000 random anonymous users all contributed to making the file appear on your PC....they could only prove guy A furnished you with 12 kbs of the movie or music file in question :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-26-2014, 07:47 PM
I know about VPNs and proxies, but Mick specified the IP address himself. He could make it look like he was on my network using my IP address rather than just some randomly assigned IP. I don't know how to do that. Can you do that with proxies and VPNs?

For something like that you do IP Spoofing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing