PDA

View Full Version : Pizza parlor owner will pay $2,500 if you finish your meal

Teh One Who Knocks
03-31-2014, 11:44 AM
George Warren, KXTV

http://i.imgur.com/YNu3gkc.jpg

MANTECA, CA - A pizza parlor specializing in take-out business is offering a special challenge to any two people who choose to eat in the dining room: A check for $2,500 if they can finish a giant pizza in less than an hour.

"I call it Da Big Kahuna," said Glenn Takeda, owner of 8 Buck Pizza, whose $60 extra, extra, extra large pizza is 30 inches in diameter and weighs 15 pounds.

The 8.5 lbs of dough is covered with 3.5 lbs of cheese and a choice of any three toppings, one of which must be meat.

Takeda got the idea for Da Big Kahuna challenge in January from watching other food-eating contests on TV.

He initially offered $100 cash per person plus a year's worth of free pizza, but got no takers.

Contestants started lining up when Takeda boosted the prize to $2,500. So far, 15 teams have taken -- and failed -- the challenge.

Among those who have left the table without finishing Da Big Kahuna is well-known competitive eater Naader Reda, who drove more than 400 miles from his home in Joshua Tree Wednesday to tackle the monster pizza with eating partner John Rivera.

"John and I make a great team, but that day, the 15-pound Big Kahuna was too much," Reda tweeted to News10. "It is a very tough opponent."

Reda was equally gracious in his review of the pizza's quality.

"It was the thickest, doughiest pizza I've ever encountered. It was also one of the two or three most delicious pies I've sampled," he wrote.

Takeda said Reda and Rivera came as close as anyone to finishing Da Big Kahuna, and admits he was preparing to part with $2,500.

"I swear I thought they were going to do it," he said.

At the end of the hour, the pair left with enough pizza to fill a 14-inch takeout box.

Based on Wednesday's close call, Takeda knows it's only a matter of time before he's forced to write the check.

"I'm sure somebody will surface," he said.

http://i.imgur.com/ageJi87.jpg

DemonGeminiX
03-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Come on, Joey Chestnut!!!

:cheerlead:

Hal-9000
03-31-2014, 05:20 PM
"...but that day, the 15-pound Big Kahuna was too much," Reda tweeted to News10. "It is a very tough opponent."

:rofl: sounds like he fought a boxer

Goofy
03-31-2014, 06:24 PM
"eating partner" :facepalm: Diabetes ftw! :cheers: