PDA

View Full Version : Student at UVA is suing after officers pulled a loaded gun, smashed her car window, & arrested her for buying beer while under age, turns out it was water.

Godfather
03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
RICHMOND, Va. — A University of Virginia student is seeking $40 million from the state and seven Alcoholic Beverage Control agents who arrested her believing she had illegally purchased beer when she had bought bottled water.

Elizabeth K. Daly, 21, filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Richmond Circuit Court, according to media reports. She alleges malicious prosecution, six counts of assault and battery and failure to appropriately train ABC agents.

On April 11, 2013, ABC agents confronted Daly outside a supermarket in Charlottesville. The agents believed Daly, who was then 20, was under the legal drinking age and had purchased beer.

Daly was charged with two felonies for grazing two agents with her vehicle.

Daly has said attempted to flee in a panic because the agents weren’t in uniform, one pulled a gun and another attempted to smash a window with a flashlight.

Daly spent a night in jail on felony charges of assaulting two law enforcement officers and eluding police. Prosecutors withdrew charges against Daly in June and her record was expunged in October.

In her lawsuit, Daly said she has suffered from a tremor in her right hand, intense anxiety and other problems since the confrontation.

As a result of the April 2013 incident, Daly and her parents “have incurred significant legal, medical, and other costs, and will continue to do so in the future due to the malicious, intentional” and negligent actions of the defendants, the lawsuit states.

A spokesman for Attorney General Mark Herring called the incident “incredibly unfortunate.”

“As this case proceeds, the Attorney General’s office will defend the Commonwealth’s interests and work to ensure a just and reasonable outcome,” spokesman Michael Kelly said.

The ABC said in November two agents violated department policy during Daley’s arrest. The ABC said it had taken corrective action against the agents involved but declined to be more specific, citing state policy that prohibits the release of individual personnel information and the results of disciplinary proceedings.

Loser
03-31-2014, 07:26 PM
She'll win.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Jackasses

Hal-9000
03-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Did the officers identify themselves?

they tried to smash her car window with a flashlight?

I would be driving away too...maybe not grazing the people but still...:lol:

Muddy
04-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Bunch of sneaky cock suckers... I hope she wins.. Not 40 mil.. But like 100k and the case...

KevinD
04-01-2014, 01:54 AM
I suspect I'd still have been in jail had this happened to me. Lol

Godfather
04-01-2014, 02:33 AM
Bunch of sneaky cock suckers... I hope she wins.. Not 40 mil.. But like 100k and the case...

Agreed. The value is laughable but I hope she wins. The cop should be fired and prosecuted and the department and its policies investigated.

Loser
04-01-2014, 04:04 AM
Guy took a local police dept in North west indiana for 40 mil.

They falsely accused him of a crime he didn't commit, and during interrogation shoved a nightstick up his ass. ;)

Godfather
04-01-2014, 04:44 AM
Is a human life really worth $40 million if you're still physically intact? I mean, not to at all detract from either crime... they're both heinous and fly in the face of your constitution for a number of reasons. But $40 million isn't a logical figure. How does one determine that's what they're owed.

I'd rather see justice served against the guilty party. That seems to be the real rarity.

Loser
04-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Well, it taught the police department what NOT to do :lol:

Damn near bankrupted them, which should have happened in my opinion.

Godfather
04-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Fair point. Going to be hard to train better cops if they're broke as shit but maybe the college town that had cops breaking windows with guns to arrest an (incorrectly assumed to be) underage drinker is better off that way though :lol: