PDA

View Full Version : Angry motorists want to put brakes on red light cameras

Teh One Who Knocks
04-02-2014, 10:45 AM
By Robert Gearty - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/bDPafsp.jpg

Angry motorists are fed up with having to shell out big bucks to pay fines generated by red light cameras and speed cameras.

Take Jim Mehlhaff, an elected municipal official in Pierre, S. D. He got a speed camera ticket on busy I-29 in Sioux City, Iowa. He was fined $168.

“I had to mail the fine to ‘Sioux City Saves Lives,’ which was annoying,” he told FoxNews.com. “I crossed that out and put on the envelope ‘Sioux City Extorts Money from Out of State Travelers.’ They still the cashed the check.”

Complaints from Mehlhaff and others recently prompted South Dakota lawmakers to act. They passed a bill to put the brakes on red light cameras in the state and to bar red light vendors from going after South Dakotans for citations from other states. Republican South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard signed the bill into law last week.

The new law makes South Dakota the sixteenth state to stamp out red light cameras and speed cameras by statute or state court ruling, according to TheNewspaper.com. Other states, including Missouri, Ohio and Florida, are considering similar prohibitions.

Critics complain the cameras violate due process, don’t make intersections safer and generate revenue more for the red light vendor than the community.

The pushback is being felt around the country. The number of towns and cities that use cameras to catch motorists running red lights or speeding has dropped six percent since 2012, from 540 to 506, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. About 130 communities use speed cameras. An unknown number use both.

“You’re starting to see more public backlash against cameras,” said John Bowman of the National Motorists Association. “People are finally starting to realize what cameras are all about and public officials don’t want to experience all of the problems associated with cameras: legal entanglements, lawsuits, class-action lawsuits, unfavorable contract terms with cameras.”

But Russ Rader, a spokesman for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, said red light cameras are a useful tool to keep communities safe. They are effective in reducing accidents, even at intersections that don’t have them, he said.

He said there is an explanation for the shrinking market for cameras. In some places, people avoid running red lights or speeding if they know there is a camera watching.That causes fewer citations to be issued. “As the numbers fall, they are no longer self-supporting,” he said.

But as the market has gotten smaller, so have the profits of the companies that install the cameras.

Brekford, based in Maryland, reported last week that it is losing money. The firm told Wall Street that it faces a deficit of $9 million and that revenues had dropped 25 percent from $18 million to $13 million in the past year. It reported a net loss in 2013 of $1.4 million.

"The increased net loss when comparing 2013 to 2012 was due to increased expenses related to salaries, benefit programs and associated support costs for the expansion of (photo ticketing) programs without corresponding increases in revenue as certain program implementations were delayed or terminated," Brekford said in a news release.

Brekford's biggest problem was its loss of the speed camera contract in Baltimore because of problems.

Redflex Traffic Systems in Phoenix has even bigger headaches. The firm has been the subject of a federal bribery investigation in Chicago for the past year.

In its most recent financial reports, Redflex said the loss of the Chicago contract cost the company $9 million. That and other write-offs resulted in a14 percent decrease in after-tax profit in the last six months, the company said.

Redflex did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Mehlhaff said his speed camera ticket cited him forgoing 68 MPH, 13 miles over the speed limit. He said he knows three others who got speed camera tickets on I-29 in Sioux City for going just as fast,“68 in a 55.”

“I thought it was odd,” he said.

He called the camera speed ticket a violation of due process. “You don’t get to plead your case on the spot and you don’t even get the satisfaction of saying, ‘My bad,’” he said.

One person who is not pleased with what South Dakota has done is Sioux City Police Chief Doug Young. He told FoxNews.com lawyers for the department are weighing legal action.

“There is due process,” he said. “It’s clearly marked that speed cameras are being used. Yet, these people still ignore that.”

FBD
04-02-2014, 12:49 PM
good for them

fk shooting drones, my first targets are going to be goddam red light cameras

Hugh_Janus
04-02-2014, 05:42 PM
how dare they punish you for breaking the law!!

Goofy
04-02-2014, 05:50 PM
how dare they punish you for breaking the law!!

I know, ridiculous ain't it :x Next they'll be locking people up for murders and such........

Hugh_Janus
04-02-2014, 06:05 PM
that's unacceptable. If I want to go around brutally murdering people I should be able to do so without any repercussions [-(

Hal-9000
04-02-2014, 06:12 PM
I kinda understand this...we have a lot of long approaches to busy lights when you're allowed to do 100 or 110 kmph....so the thing turns yellow as you approach, you can either slam on your brakes and end up sideways halfway through the intersection or get out the other side when it turns red...

I call those - running an orange light :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
04-02-2014, 06:19 PM
These things are scam devices run by a third party that gets paid by the number of tickets issued. Its been proven multiple times that they cheat and send you tickets when you havent broken the law.

Hal-9000
04-02-2014, 06:49 PM
we have a lot of 4 way stops with stop signs...and people blow those daily without even a tap on the brakes....THAT worries me

FBD
04-02-2014, 06:56 PM
:hand: if noone's around to see it happen, traffic violations do not happen.

amazing how it is in some other countries that dont have flow control signals at every single intersection :lol:

this is all about revenue. this is the government, and a private company, ganging up on people. lots of places, that's called fascism...

Teh One Who Knocks
04-02-2014, 06:59 PM
These things are scam devices run by a third party that gets paid by the number of tickets issued. Its been proven multiple times that they cheat and send you tickets when you havent broken the law.

Exactly...if the police want to run speed traps/red light violations, then put the officers out in their patrol cars and run them. Outsourcing something to a non-law enforcement third party that is only in it for the money is just asinine and shows that the police only care about one thing....generating revenue the easiest and quickest possible way.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Exactly...if the police want to run speed traps/red light violations, then put the officers out in their patrol cars and run them. Outsourcing something to a non-law enforcement third party that is only in it for the money is just asinine and shows that the police only care about one thing....generating revenue the easiest and quickest possible way.

Speed traps are illegal too (In CA anyway)

As with most laws enforced at the state or local level, it depends. It also depends on how different jurisdictions define the term.

The California Vehicle Code (CVC 40802), for instance, prohibits the use of “marked road traps” and “unjustified speed limit traps.” A “marked road trap” is defined as a section of highway “marked, designated, or otherwise determined” for measuring the speed of a vehicle by calculating the time it takes to travel that distance. An “unjustified speed limit trap” is a specific section of highway with a lower speed limit that is not justified by a traffic survey conducted within the past five years.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-02-2014, 07:07 PM
I didn't mean 'speed trap' like the small town locals do where the speed limit drops down from 55 to 25, I'm just generalizing it to mean if you want to catch people speeding like on the highways, put the cops out there and run radar, not put cameras out there.

Hal-9000
04-02-2014, 07:16 PM
our worst 'traps' are construction zones.....we are to slow to 50kmph, no exceptions...

except sometimes the start and finish of the construction is not marked clearly or the signs have been moved...

so you're cooking along at 100, slow to 50, then speed up to 100 when you think the construction area has passed....

:sad2: I got tagged doing that and there was no end sign for the construction ffs :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-02-2014, 07:21 PM
our worst 'traps' are construction zones.....we are to slow to 50kmph, no exceptions...

except sometimes the start and finish of the construction is not marked clearly or the signs have been moved...

so you're cooking along at 100, slow to 50, then speed up to 100 when you think the construction area has passed....

:sad2: I got tagged doing that and there was no end sign for the construction ffs :lol:

They leave the construction zone signs up here way longer than needed and even when there is no one working and nothing is blocked off indicating construction. And if they bust you speeding in a construction zone here, fines and points double automatically.

Hal-9000
04-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Cop said and I quote - there's been construction on this road for the entire summer, you should have known..

My next question about the missing sign was interrupted with - You can dispute the ticket on the address on the back of the ticket, have a nice day.

:x I should have whacked him with my citizen's baton

PorkChopSandwiches
04-02-2014, 07:43 PM
I didn't mean 'speed trap' like the small town locals do where the speed limit drops down from 55 to 25, I'm just generalizing it to mean if you want to catch people speeding like on the highways, put the cops out there and run radar, not put cameras out there.

Yeah, you should have to be caught by a person