PDA

View Full Version : 'Suspicious' Photographer Cleared of any Wrongdoing on Signal Mtn.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
By Jerry Askin - News Channel 9

http://i.imgur.com/XSTtS5x.jpg

The panic on Signal Mountain is over, but some say a man's reputation was smeared in the process.

This, after parents contacted police, concerned about an unknown man taking pictures at a little league ballpark.

Police first became aware of the man at Timberlinks Drive ball field on Tuesday.

Emails were sent out this week by the little league's baseball commissioner, Justin Svedas, making parents aware of a "potential child predator."

Friday, Svedas told us by phone that he sent the emails and called police after the man was seen taking pictures of kids during practices.

He wanted to make sure every child was safe.

"With everything going on with sex offenders and everything, and lately with kids being kidnapped and all of that, it's understandable for them to be worried about that," says Rachel Austin.

Those emails included two pictures of the man in question, and landed in the inbox's of community members, parents, and even Hamilton County School principals.

But, as it turns out, that man is Jack Hohimer -- an amateur photographer who lives across the street from the baseball field.

Police say he was simply testing out new lenses on his camera.

"We didn't find any prior criminal history, any registry, on any kind of predator list or anything like that," says Captain Scott Ogrodowczyk from the Signal Mountain Police Department.

Some parents we found Friday on Signal Mountain call the email chain an overreaction that could have cost Hohimer his reputation.

"I think if they would have just talked to him and seen that he was no problem. I think sometimes when people overreact, they hurt other people for no reason," says Jan Smith.

Thursday, Svedas sent another email, saying he spoke to Hohimer, who apologized for causing fear in the parents.

But, at the end of the day, many people say it's Hohimer who deserves the apology.

"Good man, and someone hurt his reputation for no reason," says Jan Smith.

Hohimer wasn't home Friday when we went by for a comment. Meanwhile, authorities say they will always encourage parents to call and report any suspicious person or if you ever feel unsafe.

Hal-9000
04-07-2014, 09:42 PM
this is what I hate about our world....I'm getting older, I'm single and love going for walks in a large park by our house. Every year I get more dirty looks from parents or couples picnicking there.

sure...I have a soft guitar case that looks like a gun holder when I bring my guitar and ok...sometimes I don't wear pants.

but ffs give a guy a break! :confused: