PDA

View Full Version : British man amputates own hand

Teh One Who Knocks
04-09-2014, 10:43 AM
FOX News

A British man amputated his own hand after he claimed hospitals refused to perform the operation for him, Metro UK reported.

Mark Goddard, 44, of Newton Abbot in Devon, said he has suffered excruciating nerve pain in his left arm since being involved in a motorcycle accident 16 years ago. Goddard said he was left with no choice but to amputate his own hand, claiming hospitals had refused to perform the operation on him.

“I should not have to go to such extremes to get my pain stopped,” Goddard told Metro UK. “There was an alternative – and that was having it done properly in hospital.”

Goddard constructed a guillotine-like device in his backyard in order to rid himself of his unwanted appendage. He then threw his amputated hand into a fire, so doctors would not be able to reattach it. After he completed the amputation, Goddard was rushed to a hospital where he was treated for blood loss.

“There should never have been any need for me to do this,” Goddard said. “It would have spared so much distress all round, but it was the only way. At least it will give me and my family our lives back.”

Goddard said he still has significant pain in the remainder of his arm, and is hoping to have more of his limb removed in a hospital. Otherwise, he is threatening to finish the job himself.

Goddard told Metro UK he has undergone several psychiatric examinations and passed with a clean bill of mental health.

A spokesman from the Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed the incident to the Mid Devon Gazette.

"Police received a call from the ambulance service to say a man had cut his hand off. We were concerned he might have a knife and be a risk to himself or others,” the spokesman said. “Units attended and upon arrival a 44-year-old man had indeed cut his hand off. He was otherwise rational. The hand was badly burnt and was in a bin. Officers attempted to save the hand but it was badly damaged."

deebakes
04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
:rip::lwank: