PDA

View Full Version : Kindle 3 - 3G or just WiFi?

Godfather
05-12-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm getting a Kindle. It is settled :lol: I spend too much on books, as much as I love having them on paper. The other day I almost bought a 40$ book only available in hard cover... when I saw it on sale on Amazong for 3$ :huh:

I played with a friend's and some others (Kobo, Sony, etc etc) and the Kindle is the one I like best (Still open to opinion on that though). But I'm now trying to decide if it's worth the extra 50$ + added weight, to get the Kindle with 3G.

It is free 3G service once you have it, but I understand the browser is mostly shit. With that being said, it'd be cool to get the news and other things when away from WiFi

Also... if I have 3G and am constantly in touch with Amazon... are they going to know that I'll be 'borrowing' a good share of books from the web? Is that even a concern?

Deepsepia
05-12-2011, 04:05 AM
It is free 3G service once you have it, but I understand the browser is mostly shit. With that being said, it'd be cool to get the news and other things when away from WiFi

Also... if I have 3G and am constantly in touch with Amazon... are they going to know that I'll be 'borrowing' a good share of books from the web? Is that even a concern?

With the iPad, the 3G service is expensive, so I recommend you skip it.

With the Kindle on the other hand, the 3G service is free, and that is a VERY good deal, so I recommend you take it.

There aren't all that many times when you need the 3G, but when you do need it, its very handy to have.

Amazon is not nearly so intrusive as Apple. Load up a PDF or whatever . . . they won't know or care.

Ptownstompin
05-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I have a Kindle with 3G (one of those new graphite colored ones) and I love it, I highly recommend you get it especially if you'll bring it with you on vacation or on daily travels. It's cool being able to be out and about, think of a book you wanna read, and just buy it and start reading on the spot without having to go home or track down a wifi hotspot

Griffin
05-24-2011, 11:13 AM
I opted for the basic model because of the double battery life. Of course if you have the wireless turned off that becomes a non issue.