PDA

View Full Version : Rats eat a Melbourne home from the inside

Teh One Who Knocks
04-10-2014, 11:55 AM
News.com.au

A BEAUTIFUL new weatherboard home in Melbourne has been eaten from the inside by ravenous rats.

Homeowner Ann Barker told 3AW’s Neil Mitchell this morning that she had discovered the damage caused by the rats when the bathroom ceiling fell on her on Tuesday.

http://i.imgur.com/UPncP0p.jpg

Ms Barker’s home in Clyde North, a suburb in Melbourne’s south east, is only four months old.

The shocked homeowner said she had to be dragged from underneath the rubble by her daughter.

“At this stage they’ve chewed through nine pipes, and I’ve got two more leaks,” Ms Barker said.

“There were holes under my veranda and holes on the corner of the roof where the guttering is. I’m waiting for someone to check the rest of the roof.”

http://i.imgur.com/DjlPclg.jpg

She said she thought the damage was done by rats because she had found bite marks on her pipes and found rat droppings.

“Insurance won’t pay anything and the builder won’t take responsibility ... which I think is hideous. I’ve had my ceiling open for a week now, so I’m not feeling very comfortable.”

Ms Barker is not the only Victorian to have a problem with rats, with a caller living in the Dandenongs calling the radio station to say there was also a major problem in her area.

Hopefully this rat wasn’t to blame — last month a giant 1m rat was discovered in Sweden, hiding behind a family’s dishwasher.

Goofy
04-10-2014, 12:01 PM
“Insurance won’t pay anything and the builder won’t take responsibility ... which I think is hideous. I’ve had my ceiling open for a week now, so I’m not feeling very comfortable.”

Why would the builder take responsibility? Not like the builder actually put the rats in there :lol: Surprised they never heard them, rats make a bit of noise.......

Hal-9000
04-11-2014, 11:08 PM
dumb question from a non home-owner....does house insurance cover this sort of thing?

Pony
04-11-2014, 11:44 PM
dumb question from a non home-owner....does house insurance cover this sort of thing?

It's supposed to. Unfortunately these days insurance companies will try and deny as many claims as possible hoping the owner won't fight it. You really have to be persistent and sometimes employ a lawyer to get them to budge.

Muddy
04-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Wtf? Does anyone on this forum have rats in their house? :lol:

Pony
04-12-2014, 09:11 AM

:lol: Not even as a pet.

deebakes
04-12-2014, 02:21 PM

you know that i have efficient ways of eliminating them ;)