PDA

View Full Version : CBS: Stephen Colbert to Replace David Letterman as 'Late Show' Host

Teh One Who Knocks
04-10-2014, 05:24 PM
By Suzy Byrne - Yahoo! TV

http://i.imgur.com/PwIsdDp.jpg

CBS has found their man.

On Thursday, the network announced their replacement for outgoing "Late Show" host David Letterman. Stephen Colbert, whose satirical "The Colbert Report" on Comedy Central competes in the same time slot, has landed the sought-after gig.

"Simply being a guest on David Letterman's show has been a highlight of my career," Colbert said in a statement released by CBS. "I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave's lead."

He added, "I'm thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth."

Dentistry aside, Leslie Moonves, the President and CEO, CBS Corporation, said that Colbert is the right man for the job.

"Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television," he said in the statement. "David Letterman’s legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today's announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night."

Nina Tassler, Chairman of CBS Entertainment, echoed the sentiment, calling Colbert a "multi-talented and respected host, writer, producer, satirist and comedian who blazes a trail of thought-provoking conversation, humor and innovation with everything he touches."

She added, "He is a presence on every stage, with interests and notable accomplishments across a wide spectrum of entertainment, politics, publishing and music. We welcome Stephen to CBS with great pride and excitement, and look forward to introducing him to our network television viewers in late night."

A rep for Comedy Central wished Colbert the best, but reminded folks that he will remain on his current show until early next year.

"Comedy Central is proud that the incredibly talented Stephen Colbert has been part of our family for nearly two decades," a rep said in a statement. "We look forward to the next eight months of the ground-breaking 'Colbert Report' and wish Stephen the very best."

One week ago, Letterman announced that he would be stepping down as host of the late night TV show in 2015. He has hosted the show since 1993, famously facing off against rival Jay Leno, who retired earlier this year.

Since then, there has been endless speculation about who will be the next host with Colbert, Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen DeGeneres, Chelsea Handler, and Tina Fey among those being suggested.

There has been an immediate reaction on Twitter to the news, including these commenters:

http://i.imgur.com/Ob36ffz.png

Muddy
04-10-2014, 05:38 PM
I like Colbert.

Goofy
04-10-2014, 05:43 PM
I like cold beer :)

Noilly Pratt
04-10-2014, 06:05 PM
I like him, too, but on the Colbert report, he's in character... will he be himself or that political buffoon?

KevinD
04-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Never could stand Letterman. Never watched Colbert so :shrug:

Hal-9000
04-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Colbert is funny as hell...also he's a pretty smart guy.

Some guest made a flippant comment about him only knowing one thing from an obscure Tolkien novel and on the spot he named about 20 'other' things :lol:

deebakes
04-11-2014, 01:51 AM
is this an out of the box notification? :-k

Godfather
04-11-2014, 02:49 AM
I like him, too, but on the Colbert report, he's in character... will he be himself or that political buffoon?

That was my first question because I couldn't think how his current schtick would translate into late-night tv. CBS News was reporting that he would indeed by dropping his 'USA #1-Ultra-Conservative-Stephen-Colbert' character and just be Steven Colbert. It might still be an issue though. I think some people have a hard time differentiating between the comedian and the satirical character he plays on Colbert Report.

deebakes
04-11-2014, 02:50 AM
that's a character?!?!?!?! :shock:

Hal-9000
04-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Colbert - ..and in other news David Letterman is retiring and will be replaced next year. Boy, I sure don't envy that guy :lol: