PDA

View Full Version : Dog dies after police prevent neighbor from giving aid after it was hit by a car

Teh One Who Knocks
04-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Molly Hendrickson - The Denver Channel

http://i.imgur.com/0X1ww5X.jpg
The car that crashed is on the left. The image of the dog in the street has been blurred.

DENVER - A Denver resident is speaking out after 7NEWS video shows Denver police keeping neighbors from helping a dog hit by a car Wednesday night.

"It was in shock, its pupils were totally dilated. It couldn't really move," said neighbor Ross Knapp.

The video shows the dog, which had a collar and leash but no tags, laying in the street for nearly 90 minutes as it gasps for air. Knapp said he gave the dog water and tried to comfort it but Denver police threatened to arrest him.

"I had one of the officers tell me I had to leave and couldn't be near it. I tried a couple of times to go back and he just finally said I'm impeding on an investigation and if I came back I'd be arrested," Knapp said.

The dog died minutes before Animal Control arrived. Denver Police told 7NEWS that they followed policy.

"It's always about the personal safety of that individual. It's not trying to be cruel to the animal or cruel to the individual. It's best if we get the Animal Control people in there, let them do what they do as experts and let them take the actions," said Denver Police Department spokesman Sonny Jackson.

Records show Denver police called animal control 15 minutes after arriving to the accident scene but it took the on-call animal control officer more than an hour to get there.

After our story aired, Englewood resident Conner Leiva said he was so moved by it that he started an online petition at Change.org to force Denver Police to apologize.

FBD
04-11-2014, 05:32 PM
must follow protocol even if it means death, nobody can possibly be an expert at something unless they wear the official badge with requisite pieces of paper saying expert on it.

fucking cops...it used to be nice when they were there to protect and serve...

Teh One Who Knocks
04-11-2014, 05:40 PM
https://www.change.org/petitions/denver-police-department-write-an-apology-to-the-family-pet-and-neighbors-involved-in-this-tragedy-for-handling-this-delicate-situation-with-a-complete-lack-of-tact-respect-professionalism-and-compassion

Link to the petition

Hal-9000
04-11-2014, 06:52 PM
not to be devil's advocate...because I do believe that the public should be able to step in and help..

what could have Joe Public done in that case?

FBD
04-11-2014, 08:05 PM
dying is a rather significant even in one's lifetime...I wouldnt have cared what the fuggin cop said, I would have told him to arrest me when all's said and done then, I wouldnt have left that dog there like that. some measure of comfort in one's dying moments can be a very significant thing.

Goofy
04-11-2014, 08:10 PM
what could have Joe Public done in that case?

Gently stroke the dog and speak to it to help keep it calm........ i know i'd have gone over to the dog and told the cops to go take a flying fuck to themselves :)

Hugh_Janus
04-11-2014, 08:16 PM
cops.... arrest that man! [-(

Hal-9000
04-11-2014, 08:16 PM
it would have made a good vid...person consoling dying dog beaten by cops

Goofy
04-11-2014, 08:26 PM
it would have made a good vid...person consoling dying dog beaten by cops

Think of the compensation claim :tup:

Hal-9000
04-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Rodney King-9000 :mrgreen:

Lambchop
04-11-2014, 09:17 PM
I saw this video where a man enters an elevator with his dog. The dog leaves the elevator just as the doors close, trapping its leash. As the elevator ascends, the dog is pulled up and is strangled. Few people walk by and do fuck all. Eventually someone comes and cuts the dog down but it is too late. If I saw an animal suffering I would help it no matter who/what tried to stop me.

/bleeding heart liberal

Hal-9000
04-11-2014, 10:08 PM
I saw this video where a man enters an elevator with his dog. The dog leaves the elevator just as the doors close, trapping its leash. As the elevator ascends, the dog is pulled up and is strangled. Few people walk by and do fuck all. Eventually someone comes and cuts the dog down but it is too late. If I saw an animal suffering I would help it no matter who/what tried to stop me.

/bleeding heart liberal

I can't stand it when people are being hurt/injured in front of me...I couldn't sit by while a dog or cat is being hurt either

DemonGeminiX
04-12-2014, 04:04 AM

/bleeding heart liberal

Helping an animal that's suffering isn't a liberal/conservative issue. It's a human/monster issue.