PDA

View Full Version : Canadian mail service to scrap all home deliveries

Teh One Who Knocks
04-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Sian Griffiths - The Guardian

http://i.imgur.com/rOz9Ixx.jpg

Labrador City in eastern Canada is about as remote as it gets. This 7,000-strong mining community is surrounded by mountains, forests and lakes, with its nearest neighbour, the town of Baie-Comeau, an eight-hour drive away.

In winter – which lasts for eight months of the year – temperatures drop below -30C and snow settles two metres high.

With the country's vast land mass, a significant proportion of Canadians live in far-flung areas such Labrador City – making door-to-door mail deliveries a particular problem for postal authorities, and particularly expensive.

In an attempt to cut costs, Canada Post has announced plans to scrap all home deliveries, making Canada the first country in the G20 to be without a door-to-door service. Once the cuts are implemented, only some business addresses will get post through the letter box – not even residents of cities such as Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal will receive mail at home.

Already a significant proportion of Canadians have to collect their post from communal collection points, often quite far from their homes in parks or on the streets. Beginning this autumn, Canada Post will roll out a five-year plan to institute community mailboxes across the country.

The company says the reforms, which include a hike in the price of a stamp and the shedding of 8,000 jobs, are necessary because email is taking over from letters as a way to communicate. Yet some aspects of its businesses are on the rise, as online shopping has lead to a dramatic increase in parcel mail delivery. Even before the cuts, Canada Post, a self-funding crown corporation, is still reporting huge profits.

The company says the community mail boxes are more convenient for the delivery of large parcels that cannot fit through letter boxes. But critics say they can be hard to access, particularly for the elderly or disabled, and especially during winter. The boxes have also been known to become magnets for thieves and vandals.

The boss of Canada Post, Deepak Chopra, defended the move, saying the boxes would give senior citizens some exercise. "Seniors are telling me that 'I want to be healthy, I want to be active in my life,'" Chopra said, brushing off the criticisms.

His comments angered older Canadians, including elderly rights advocate Bill Van Gorder "It's putting another pressure on our older citizens who are trying very hard to stay in their own homes," said Van Gorder, 71.

Susan Dixon, the mother of a young son with cerebral palsy, launched a change.org petition against the move that has so far garnered over 140,000 signatures. Dixon has challenged Canada Post bosses to spend a week in a wheelchair – and pick up their mail from community boxes.

"See how they like it," she said. "I think their perspective would completely change."

The cuts have also been condemned by Canada's opposition parties, who say there was not sufficient consultation, and the mayors of Canada's biggest cities.

Postal union chief Denis Lemelin said that "to cut, cut and cut" was not the way to reform the postal service, describing the cancellation of home delivery in Canada as the end of an era.

Labrador City's mayor, Karen Oldford, expressed concerns that even if elderly and disabled people can get to the outdoor mail boxes, they will need to battle through the snow.

Oldford said using email as an excuse to cancel home deliveries in remote areas was nonsense. "There is still no broadband access in our communities," she said.

FBD
04-14-2014, 12:00 PM
sorry pal, when service is 5 times what you're paying for, cut, cut, cut is about your only option....if you have anything resembling a bottom line, or a budget. why do you think our post office is still business as usual?

Goofy
04-14-2014, 12:05 PM
sorry pal, when service is 5 times what you're paying for, cut, cut, cut is about your only option....

Canada Post, a self-funding crown corporation, is still reporting huge profits.

:-s

FBD
04-14-2014, 12:15 PM
:-k

:cheerlead:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-14-2014, 01:31 PM
sorry pal, when service is 5 times what you're paying for, cut, cut, cut is about your only option....if you have anything resembling a bottom line, or a budget. why do you think our post office is still business as usual?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the USPS would be in a lot better shape if it had distance based rates like UPS and FedEx. It's ridiculous to charge the same to mail a letter across the city here in Denver as it does to mail a letter to say Anchorage or Honolulu. If it costs the Postal Service $2.10 to get the letter from Denver to Anchorage, then that's what the postage should cost the consumer.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-14-2014, 03:23 PM
The boss of Canada Post, Deepak Chopra, defended the move, saying the boxes would give senior citizens some exercise.

Hahashaha what a dickhead

Hal-9000
04-14-2014, 04:43 PM
they've never suffered any sort of large pay cuts and those letter sorters/carriers are the biggest babies on the planet

excellent wage, union, benefits and about a 4 hour day....I have no sympathy for that group. (I worked as a temp with Canada Post and learned the inner workings...)

Noilly Pratt
04-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Ugh...don't look forward to the day where there are community boxes everywhere. What's been happening around here with those with community boxes -- they've resorted to unbolting, and stealing the whole neighbourhood's box (which is conveniently about the size of a pickup truck box).

At least have an actual Post Office like the old days - that would be better.

Hal-9000
04-14-2014, 09:42 PM
yeah guys like my Pa still need to get their pension checks etc...

deebakes
04-15-2014, 01:51 AM
:rip: :canada: