PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Mom of 3 Dies After Surgeon Removes Her Ovary By Mistake

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2014, 12:41 PM
by Suzee Skwiot - The Stir

A pregnant mother of three, who was suffering from appendicitis, died when a surgeon-in-training mistakenly removed one of her ovaries instead of her appendix.

The 32-year-old woman was in her 21st week of pregnancy when she underwent an appendicitis surgery. Unfortunately, the surgeon had to feel for her appendix since she was far along into her second trimester and failed to remove the organ.

Maria De Jesus went home after the surgery, but she continued to have pains and returned to the hospital two weeks after the initial operation in even more discomfort. It was then that doctors discovered the previous surgeon's mistake.

The woman then gave birth to a stillborn baby boy and died shortly after the surgeons removed her appendix properly. She ultimately passed away from multiple-organ failure caused by infections.

What a sad, horrible, awful thing. Acute appendicitis is a common surgical operation in pregnancy, and approximately one in 800 pregnant women experience it. The trainee surgeons that performed the original operation, as well as the senior surgical consultant, are now under investigation for failing to perform the surgery correctly and for not supervising the inexperienced doctors.

It's difficult not to play the "what if" game in this or any other similar situation, but if the procedures were followed and all doctors performed their assigned duties, this probably wouldn't have happened. Now, three children are left without their mother and have also lost their unborn brother.

Just a terrible tragedy in every way.

Hugh_Janus
04-18-2014, 12:47 AM
wow.... we had a surgeon over here remove a man's healthy kidney instead of his fucked one, but at least it was the right organ.... :lol:

deebakes
04-18-2014, 01:50 AM
where was this? :-k

Muddy
04-18-2014, 02:23 AM
Mayo

deebakes
04-18-2014, 02:25 AM
:shock:

Muddy
04-18-2014, 02:28 AM
Kidding. I dont know..

deebakes
04-18-2014, 02:30 AM
:shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 10:27 AM
where was this? :-k

Queen's Hospital outside of London

FBD
04-18-2014, 12:17 PM
This sounds like a case my dad would be telling me about, although most of the time he's representing one of the docs that didnt screw up and they are trying to include 'im in with the docs that did, sue 'em all...

Hal-9000
04-21-2014, 07:01 PM
this is nothing comparable to the story above...

I had a 16 inch pin hammered into the bone marrow of my right femur and 2 screws in the knee, 2 screws in the hip..

laying in the hospital bed 4 days later and an intern doctor comes in and examines my LEFT leg for flexibility/strength and was amazed :lol:

I let him do his thing, then got angry and told him to get the fuck outta the hospital room :x ffs I had stitches all over my hip and knee of my right leg...INDICATORS

FBD
04-21-2014, 07:07 PM
no, the other right, asshole :lol:

Hal-9000
04-21-2014, 10:06 PM
fuck me my friend had kidney problems...turned out to be one of the arteries leading to his kidney..

they took out his appendix :doh:

so he had to heal from that, book more time off work and go in for another surgery 3 months later...

deebakes
04-22-2014, 01:50 AM
what can you expect with free healthcare? :-k