PDA

View Full Version : NY students suspended indefinitely for displaying Confederate flag

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2014, 12:48 PM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/KCP3qLt.jpg

Two Long Island high school students have been suspended indefinitely for allegedly bringing a Confederate flag to a sporting event.

Brother Gary Cregan, the principal at St. Anthony's High School in South Huntington, told WCBS-TV the boys walked into the after-hours sporting event with the flag draped around their shoulders.

"The African-American students who immediately saw it really exercised heroic restraint and fortunately a teacher immediately confiscated the flag and took the students out of the gym,” Cregan said.

The two seniors were initially suspended for 10 days, but Cregan decided Tuesday they won’t be allowed back, the station reported.

Cregan wrote a letter to their parents, telling them that the use of symbols “designed to revive past injustices or to inflame discrimination or racial intolerance, is completely unacceptable and profoundly offensive," Newsday reported.

“I find it just very hard to even imagine why any student in 2014 would even consider or think that a Confederate flag would be anything other than a symbol of hate,” Cregan told WCBS-TV.

While St. Anthony’s is a private Catholic school and generally not subject to First Amendment limitations, a New York Civil Liberties Union official said students be able to openly express their views, even those considered offensive.

“Our motto is more speech, not censorship or punishment,” NYCLU director Donna Lieberman told Brown told the station. “Helping children understand the impact of this patently offensive expressive activity.”

Cregan said there are limits to students' free speech rights.

“I certainly think this particular symbol of hate falls in the category of something that should be excised from our culture,” he said.

The students involved did not respond to WCBS-TV's requests for comment.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2014, 12:48 PM
"The African-American students who immediately saw it really exercised heroic restraint and fortunately a teacher immediately confiscated the flag and took the students out of the gym,” Cregan said.

:|

FBD
04-17-2014, 01:03 PM
for real, embellish it why dontcha

the confederate flag was simply a symbol to dredge up past injustices? thanks for the history rewrite, teach :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Anyone that needs to exercise "heroic restraint" over a flag needs to get their head examined. FFS from the way it was written, you would think they marched in there wearing full KKK robes and hoods while carrying a burning cross and a noose :roll:

Hal-9000
04-17-2014, 04:47 PM
"...why any student in 2014 would even consider or think that a Confederate flag would be anything other than a symbol of hate..."

Can't it represent the southern union of states or pride for one part of the country? Does it have to mean anti-black no matter what?

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I just think it's weird that it pops up in New York. I'm pretty certain people from New York didn't agree with and/or fight for the South during the Civil War.

Hal-9000
04-17-2014, 04:57 PM
so Bo and Luke Duke were card carrying racists and Uncle Jesse was the Klan leader??

:( much sorrow

DemonGeminiX
04-17-2014, 05:04 PM
I do live in the South, ya know. I see people with the Confederate Flag on their cars all the time. And from what I've gathered from the several that I've talked to is that they think "the South will rise again". A few of them are unapologetic racists. I mean, if there was a Klan chapter around here, they'd probably be front and center during the bonfires.

And I'm "a gawd-darned carpet-baggin' yankee".

Hal-9000
04-17-2014, 05:05 PM
how do you think I feel? I'm the biggest northernmost yankee the world has ever seen :lol:

Muddy
04-17-2014, 05:36 PM
"heroic restraint" What a fucking yellow bellied suck ass. She be blowing the kid in the bathroom apologizing for actions of 200 years ago next..

FBD
04-17-2014, 05:55 PM
I would have needed heroic strength to prevent my backhand