PDA

View Full Version : Denver woman shot dead while on phone with dispatcher for 13 minutes

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 10:54 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/4Na7gtD.jpg

Denver police are investigating if a 911 call was handled properly after they say a woman was fatally shot Monday by her husband during a 13-minute call with the operator.

KDVR.com reported that Kristine Kirk, a mother of three, was shot after her husband, Richard, was talking about the end of the world and asking her to shoot him. She refused, and police said he shot her.

"Any time a person dies while communicating with Denver's emergency services, we examine the circumstances to ensure that the incident was handled properly and we look for areas to improve upon," said police spokesman Sonny Jackson.

A judge ordered her husband, Richard Kirk, 47, held without bond after his first court appearance Wednesday. Kirk wore a grey jail uniform and showed no emotion. He faces first-degree murder charges and was being represented by a public defender, who declined to comment.

Sources told the station that her husband may have ingested edible marijuana. He had no violent history, the report said.

"My heart goes out to those three boys and Kris’ family. Mom, dad, sister and brothers. This is a terrible thing," Lance Kirk, Richard's brother, said. One of the children may have witnessed the shooting, a source said.

Police officials said their internal investigation will focus on the time it took for officers to respond to the home and whether dispatchers properly prioritized the woman's call, which is characterized in court paperwork as a "domestic disturbance."

Denver police have struggled with slowing response times in recent months as the department's ranks have shrunk due to retirements, departures and budget cuts.

Officials have refused to release the 911 call or dispatch records, citing the open investigation.

Kirk's father, also Richard Kirk, said the family is shocked, as the couple had shown no signs of marital distress. He visited the family in January and was unaware of any drug use by his son.

"It was a great family," he said. "He seemed very happy."

Kirk said police had not given him any information about how the 911 call was handled.

FBD
04-18-2014, 12:19 PM
that damned edible mj strikes again :roll:

DemonGeminiX
04-18-2014, 12:19 PM
I heard about this yesterday. What an awful thing to have happened. They need to fry this fucker.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Good thing she lives in a major city where calling 911 will save your life :thumbsup:

Oh, wait :|

DemonGeminiX
04-18-2014, 12:25 PM
I heard that Denver's police force was understaffed because of budget cuts. Any truth to that? What political party's in power out there?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 12:29 PM
I heard that Denver's police force was understaffed because of budget cuts. Any truth to that? What political party's in power out there?

Not sure on the budget claim, but the governor of Colorado and the mayor of Denver are both democrats and the democrats control both state houses as well as the Denver City Council.

DemonGeminiX
04-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Denver police have struggled with slowing response times in recent months as department ranks have decreased due to retirements, departures and budget cuts that have kept the department from hiring for five years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/16/denver-police-911/7791031/

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 12:34 PM
They always have time to set up speed traps and DUI checkpoints though. Funny that.

DemonGeminiX
04-18-2014, 12:36 PM
They always have time to increase the revenue stream.

:tup:

Hal-9000
04-21-2014, 06:50 PM
that's gotta be tough...be a dispatcher and hearing someone get killed