PDA

View Full Version : Teen's Urine Ruins 38M Gallons of Portland's Water

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 11:30 AM
By Kate Seamons, Newser Staff

http://i.imgur.com/CY6S1LX.jpg

(Newser) – Rest assured, Portland, Oregon: The water you drink is very, very clean. How sanitary? This sanitary: Water Bureau administrators are willing to flush 38 million gallons of the stuff and clean the open-air reservoir in order to make sure there's not the most miniscule amount of human urine in it. The Oregonian reports that a 19-year-old man peed in Mt. Tabor Reservoir 5, which supplies the city with drinking water, around 1am yesterday. He was caught on surveillance video leaning against a fence in order to "get his little wee wee right up to the iron bars," said Water Bureau administrator David Shaff; the man then pulled up his pants seconds later.

That was apparently enough of a leak for the city to step in. "Even though there is very minimal public health risk, the bottom line is that our commitment is to serve water that’s clean, cold, and constant. That doesn’t include pee. Not from people, at least," said Shaff, who acknowledges that animals routinely urinate, or worse, in the water. Also caught on video: The man and his cohorts took selfies at the scene. The group of three was later stopped by officers and given trespassing citations along with, in the case of the pee-er, a public urination citation. The pipes to the reservoir, which holds treated water, were then immediately closed, and the water was tested; the results, due today, aren't expected to show any contamination. The AP notes the water will be drained into the sewage system that eventually dumps into the Columbia River. The same thing happened in 2011 at the Mt. Tabor site; in that case, 7.8 million gallons were flushed, at a cost of $35,000.

RBP
04-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Ridiculous.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Government at work :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Doing the math, that comes out to .0032 ppm (parts per million) of urine in the 38 million gallons of water (using 16 oz as the amount of urine in the water, which is probably high). To put that in perspective the EPA says that the allowable amount of cyanide in drinking water is .2 ppm and the allowable amount of benzene is .005 ppm, both of which are extremely toxic.

FBD
04-18-2014, 12:24 PM
surprised they didnt slap him with the water bill for the flush :roll:

DemonGeminiX
04-18-2014, 12:26 PM
:hand:

Let them all drink pee. They'll have something in common with Bear Grylls

Muddy
04-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Poppycock!

PorkChopSandwiches
04-18-2014, 08:35 PM
:pee:

Lambchop
04-18-2014, 10:07 PM
I would drink it

Muddy
04-19-2014, 01:31 AM
The pee?

Lambchop
04-19-2014, 01:39 AM
Yeah it tastes quite nice depending on how dehydrated the person is.

Griffin
04-19-2014, 02:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMiPjnNF7Dc

Muddy
04-19-2014, 02:17 AM
Yeah it tastes quite nice depending on how dehydrated the person is.

It sure doesnt smell nice...

Oofty Goofty
04-19-2014, 02:23 AM
If you've ever read the level of bug parts and rodent hair that is allowed to be in peanut butter, then a few ounces of human urine in 30 million gallons is nothing. Also, since it's an open-air reservoir, how do they keep animals, weather elements, and vegetation from contaminating the water?

Godfather
04-20-2014, 06:46 PM
If you've ever read the level of bug parts and rodent hair that is allowed to be in peanut butter, then a few ounces of human urine in 30 million gallons is nothing. Also, since it's an open-air reservoir, how do they keep animals, weather elements, and vegetation from contaminating the water?

Let's just keep reason and rationality out of this okay? We have some paranoid PTA-Mothers and other miscellaneous hypochondriacs to appease here.

FBD
04-21-2014, 11:57 AM

I said that to a cop once back when we were teens and got pinched swimming in the reservoir....he goes you're swimming in my drinking water, asshole! trying to be a tough guy and intimidate us....I said back to him well at least we're not pissing and shitting in there like the fish and geese :dance: so wish my younger brother wasnt there, because I would have jumped the cliff into the water and given that fat fuck a serious taunting.