PDA

View Full Version : 'Twitter gave me PTSD': Woman claims mean comments and 'cyberstalking' gave her an illness usually suffered by WAR VETERANS

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 12:10 PM
By Sara Malm - The Daily Mail

http://i.imgur.com/F2VRDjf.jpg

Ms Hensley, head of an organisation promoting secular ideas, has suffered from PTSD for more than a year, according to her Twitter account.

In an interview with DailyDot.com, Ms Hensley says she became a target for 'atheist misogynists and men's rights activists' a few years back, following her open status as an atheist and feminist activist.

One man in particular has waged a two-year hate campaign against her by publishing her tweets using Storify, others have cut-and-pasted her tweets into YouTube videos, belittling her claims of PTSD.

She claims to be harassed by a cybermob of ‘more than 400 people’ which led to her diagnosis.

On her Twitter feed Ms Hensley outlines her history of PTSD in several posts, saying she was bedridden for the first six months following her diagnosis, and that she has been so distressed about the online hatred she fears leaving her house unaccompanied.

Military/ex-military combat folks: there are groups that have higher statistics of PTSD than you. You need to educate yourself.
— Melody Hensley (@MelodyHensley) April 13, 2014

I support vets but not when they become harassers. When they come onto Twitter & make fun of me having PTSD deny me having PTSD or threats.
— Melody Hensley (@MelodyHensley) April 15, 2014

Or give me the strength to come back swinging. #harassment #PTSD
— Melody Hensley (@MelodyHensley) April 11, 2014

This wk has been tough. There has been a campaign against me. I'm blocking dozens of accounts of ppl telling me I don't have PTSD & threats.
— Melody Hensley (@MelodyHensley) April 13, 2014

Things heated up on Sunday when Ms Hensley used Twitter to state that PTSD was suffered by war veterans and those harassed on the internet all the same.

Ms Hensley, executive director of the Center for Inquiry in Washington and organizer of the Women in Secularism national conference, wrote: ‘Military/ex-military combat folks: there are groups that have higher statistics of PTSD than you. You need to educate yourself.’

Her comment, tweeted to her 3,195 followers, saw many angry replies, including one who wrote: '@MelodyHensley go get blown up and see your friends die, then you'll understand true PTSD.'

Tweeter ‏@wizardoftodd said:' @MelodyHensley Yes, there are groups that have a higher rate of PTSD tgan combat vets. Twitter users are not among them. (sic)'

http://i.imgur.com/tbgY66V.png

As a result of her PTSD, Ms Hensley says she is working from her home, but she remains active on Twitter.

On Wednesday she posted several disclaimers to her earlier tweet:

'1) I didn't self-diagnose or decide to have PTSD. I was diagnosed by a very good psychiatrist. I'm not looking for armchair psychiatrists.

'2) I respect military and would call commanders and other authorities only to defend myself against threats.

'3) I don't discount military vets' PTSD. I care about everyone with PTSD. I want people to realize that it is not a military-only condition.'

MailOnline contacted Ms Hensley for comment, but she replied that she is 'not well enough to answer questions'.

DemonGeminiX
04-18-2014, 12:12 PM
This one should be beaten to death with a sausage log.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-18-2014, 12:21 PM
That hater comment is just contributing to her PTSD [-(

DemonGeminiX
04-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Maybe she'll have flashbacks like Vietnam Vets do and kill herself...

FBD
04-18-2014, 12:28 PM
wahhhh, poor feminazi

RBP
04-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Spew hate and get hate in return.

Hugh_Janus
04-20-2014, 08:59 AM
ooooh.... internet bullies.... I can;t get out of bed :cry:

Hal-9000
04-21-2014, 06:06 PM
if something is causing a condition that is unfavorable

stop doing the SOMETHING YOU MORON :x

#idjit

Hugh_Janus
04-21-2014, 10:03 PM
where else is she going to get her attention?

Hal-9000
04-21-2014, 10:04 PM
if I was a war vet and read that shit I wouldn't be so polite.....

Hugh_Janus
04-21-2014, 10:05 PM
you weren't there, man....

Hal-9000
04-21-2014, 10:07 PM
I was in the Nam you long haired pansy :x

and I came back OK :face:

Hugh_Janus
04-21-2014, 10:09 PM
short haired pansy :slap:

Hal-9000
04-21-2014, 10:17 PM