PDA

View Full Version : US Postal Union protests postal counters in Staples stores

Teh One Who Knocks
04-23-2014, 03:23 PM
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Postal workers plan protests in 27 states Thursday against the opening of postal counters in Staples stores that are staffed with Staples employees.

Last year, Staples office supply stores began providing postal services under a pilot program that now includes some 80 stores. The American Postal Workers Union objects because the program replaces well-paid union workers with low-wage nonunion workers.

The union says that could lead to layoffs and the closing of post offices. In a statement, the union said postal workers "have taken an oath to protect the sanctity of the mail," unlike poorly trained retail workers. The union wants the counters staffed by uniformed postal workers.

The financially struggling U.S. Postal Service has been working to form partnerships with private companies as it tries to cut costs and boost revenues.

FBD
04-23-2014, 03:38 PM
tries to cut costs and boost revenues.

and any sane person will tell you, get rid of the unions and the ton of associated costs with them..

Teh One Who Knocks
04-23-2014, 04:40 PM
...the union said postal workers "have taken an oath to protect the sanctity of the mail," unlike poorly trained retail workers...

http://i.imgur.com/9rl24Oj.jpg

Muddy
04-23-2014, 04:43 PM
I love dealing with black women in the post offices that have 5 inch long nails, hate me for my color, and want to scrutinize my packages looking for the smallest of inconsistencies to be able to cause me grief and deny my package..

Bring it on Staples..

Hal-9000
04-23-2014, 05:38 PM
yes because selling stamps and throwing parcels into bins should be done by high paid professionals in unions

:lol: fukc da postal service, it's time that department of the mafia was closed for good

Teh One Who Knocks
04-23-2014, 05:52 PM
yes because selling stamps and throwing parcels into bins should be done by high paid professionals in unions

:lol: fukc da postal service, it's time that department of the mafia was closed for good

Exactly....they aren't any more 'skilled' than the register jockey at McDonald's FFS :lol:

Hal-9000
04-23-2014, 06:09 PM
told the story before... I worked as a temp at two postal outlets during a summer...we counted, categorized and weighed their mail daily

after a few weeks we all wondered...is this it? Are they hiding some technical aspect of the job and we don't get to see it? :-s

Nope....bundles were placed in front of each carrier's slots in the morning...they sorted it into slots (10 minutes) then banded it (5 minutes) and then threw it in their mailbags...making sure the bags didn't exceed 25 pounds (oh Lordy Mercy no...) then they went out, did their walks...returned, ate lunch, played ping pong, complained about world affairs and went home.

Quite possibly the highest wage I've ever seen for that amount of work

deebakes
04-24-2014, 01:13 AM
scrutinize my smallest package

:qft:

Muddy
04-24-2014, 01:22 AM
Suck my package.. :x

deebakes
04-24-2014, 01:23 AM
just take it to staples :shrug: