PDA

View Full Version : Teen severs arm 'at the elbow' while cleaning pasta-maker at Italian restaurant

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2014, 11:01 AM
By Daily Mail Reporter

http://i.imgbox.com/2ife39n3.jpg

A teenager in Upstate New York was airlifted to a Massachusetts hospital earlier this week after he accidentally cut off his arm while cleaning a pasta-maker at the Italian restaurant where he works.

Authorities say the incident occurred about 8:30 p.m. Thursday, when 17-year-old Brett Bouchard was cleaning the pasta-maker at Violi's Restaurant in Massena, New York, which sits right on the Canadian border.

Other employees told reporters that his right arm was severed at the elbow.

Bouchard was rushed to Massena Memorial Hospital before being air-lifted to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, about 350 miles away.

According to the Watertown Daily Times, a supervisor at Massena Memorial tried to have Bouchard taken to the Fletcher Allen Health Center in Burlington, Vermont - which is more than 200 miles closer to Massena than Massachusetts General - but the hospital would not accept Bouchard.

As of Sunday morning, Bouchard was listed as being in critical condition.

It's unclear whether doctors were able to reattach his arm.

'We’re all still in shock. One of our employees severed his arm last night,' Ross Violi, who owns the restaurant with his brother Dominic, told the paper.

Restaurant employees are still trying to figure out how the machine was turned on while Bouchard was cleaning it.

A spokesman for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) says it's unclear whether the agency will investigate the incident.

'We are still awaiting word on whether or not an inspection will take place,' agency spokesman Andre J. Bowser said, explaining that the nearest OSHA office is in Syracuse, which is roughly three hours away by car.

Mia Violi, a manager at the restaurant, has started a GoFundMe page to help raise money for Bouchard's medical treatment and travel expenses for his family.

'A hardworking, young man had part of his arm severed in half while working. We would like to raise money to help with medical expenses and travel expenses for his family. If you can help, please do. Brett is an amazing young man and deserves any help. Thank you so much,' she wrote on the page.

Goofy
04-28-2014, 11:58 AM
I bet he doesn't do that again :)

FBD
04-28-2014, 12:48 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
04-28-2014, 10:10 PM
I bet he doesn't do that again :)

:lol: :lol:

Hal-9000
04-28-2014, 10:10 PM
A spokesman for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) says it's unclear whether the agency will investigate the incident.

pardon me? :-s