PDA

View Full Version : Walmart enters the auto insurance business

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Hadley Malcolm, USA TODAY

http://i.imgur.com/qurWhf3.jpg

Walmart is entering the auto insurance business in its latest move to offer affordable financial services to customers, the company announced Wednesday.

The world's largest retailer is partnering with AutoInsurance.com, a price-comparison and shopping website. The website was created after Walmart approached parent company Tranzutary Insurance Solutions with the idea to create an integrated auto insurance service that lets consumers shop for and purchase policies on one site, instead of directing them to the individual sites of specific insurance providers when they're ready to buy.

After piloting the service last year in Pennsylvania, it's now available in eight states, with plans to roll out nationwide in the coming months. The site pulls in your existing insurance policy and lets you compare rates across companies including Progressive, Travelers, Esurance and Safeco. It allows shoppers to buy policies directly from AutoInsurance.com.

"This is something Walmart had been studying and hearing a lot from their customers on," says Daniel Eckert, senior vice president of services at Walmart. "As we started to investigate what was out there in the marketplace, there was no simple, accessible, transparent way to do auto insurance."

Walmart does not operate the service but will serve as the sole marketing partner to promote the website. Walmart will have displays in store entrances and in store aisles, as well as promote the service on its own website. It will receive monthly payments for each store where the service is promoted, Eckert says.

In a survey of customers who participated in the pilot last year, Walmart found the average savings of those who bought policies through AutoInsurance.com was more than $1,100 a year.

The insurance service is the most recent of Walmart's continually expanding financial services offerings. Earlier this month, Walmart announced a new money-transfer service that allows customers to transfer and pick up money between Walmart stores across the country. The service comes with two pricing tiers and charges less than $10 for up to $900 in transfers. Competitors can charge up to $75 to transfer the same amount, Walmart says. Walmart already offers money transfers through MoneyGram.

On a call with media on Tuesday, Eckert said the retailer is also testing a life insurance service with Tranzutary Insurance Solutions in South Carolina and Georgia.

Still, financial services are just a small part of the company's overall revenue, says Ken Perkins, an equity analyst with Morningstar. Walmart's strategy in the financial services sector is likely more about contributing to consistent messaging.

"It's not really a driver of the business," Perkins says. "But if the company is trying to communicate (that) it's a low-cost provider and looking out for its customer first ... these are easy ways to hit that home."

A Walmart bank may not be out of the question — it's not unheard of in retail, Perkins says. Canada's largest retail company, Loblaw Companies Limited, operates its own bank — but positioning itself to continue to compete on price and product offerings with the likes of Amazon and dollar stores is probably a more immediate priority.

The financial services "are kind of add-ons," Perkins says.

Noilly Pratt
04-30-2014, 03:35 PM
This is VERY lucrative for them...my wife works for a major retailer here selling insurance.

FBD
04-30-2014, 03:45 PM
of course rackets are lucrative...for the racketeers...

redred
04-30-2014, 04:09 PM
part of the company named asda has been doing this for a few years now , like most of the big supermarkets in the UK

redred
04-30-2014, 04:12 PM
of course rackets are lucrative...for the racketeers...

explain ???? the way i see it , if i crashed my car into someone else and injured them I know it would cost a whole lot more to repair both cars and any other costs due to the injured party than i pay out , thats how it works over here and i'd rather pay the £200 or so a year to cover stuff like this

FBD
04-30-2014, 04:21 PM
all insurance is a racket. ~200 a year? I have a good driving record and my costs are damn near 10 times that for insurance, per year. I dont half look at the shit so I dont fully recall otomh, but if you have a bad driving record you could easily be paying 2000 bucks for 6 months worth of insurance.

that aint a racket?

so for my one fender bender in 18, 19 years of driving, that paid out all of about 3000...I think the only thing I've paid more into and taken less from is healthcare financing. oh, I mean "insurance."

redred
04-30-2014, 04:38 PM
yes i pay about £200 a year car insurance for a full cover policy , it's a gamble if i don't crash the company makes money if i do crash they don't make money

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
I haven't had an accident in over 20 years, I have had 1 speeding ticket in the last 5 years, and I still pay $3000/year to insure both vehicles. And that's only because I have all my policies with State Farm so I get a multi-policy and multi-line discount which totals almost $2200/year, so if I was just insuring my cars only, it would be $5400/year for insurance.

Noilly Pratt
04-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Just checked - I pay $1,014 for one vehicle (2005 van) , and pay a similar price for my other one (1992 econobox). Been driving for 32 years and I have all the discounts, no tickets since I was in my mid 20s. - same with my wife.

We pay a LOT in Canada...probably similar for Hal in his province. GF is in my province so his will be similar. In BC we have to have our basic with ICBC but the extra coverages can be elsewhere.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2014, 06:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/KWJoQBx.png

The coverage and cost breakdown on my truck

EDIT: That's for 6 months

DemonGeminiX
04-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Lance, are you making payments on your truck? Do your limits have to be that high under contract?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Lance, are you making payments on your truck? Do your limits have to be that high under contract?

Yes. making payments, and no, I don't need the limits to be that high, but the state minimum coverage limits don't cover jack shit. One bad wreck and someone sues you and you are gonna go broke with the minimum coverage limits.

Hugh_Janus
04-30-2014, 07:31 PM
holy shit, you yanks get fucked over with insurance :lol:

also, its cheaper for me to insure one of these:

500hp 190+mph ~£40k
http://autolot.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/mercedes-c63-amg-50.jpg

than it is for me to insure one of these:

130hp 115mph ~£4k
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/tomsmith22/IMG_0231.jpg

FBD
04-30-2014, 08:08 PM
holy shit, you yanks get fucked over with insurance :lol:

why ya think we were so pissed about obamacare ;)

Lambchop
04-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Insurance is the biggest scam ever.

You give us money. If anything happens, give us more money and we will continue to cover you. *

* Our cover only covers you giving us more and more money.

Muddy
04-30-2014, 10:01 PM
I pay $95.70 a month for two newish vehicles(full coverage) and an old truck(liability only).

Hugh_Janus
04-30-2014, 10:08 PM
£470pa fully comprehensive insurance and if it wasn't for my job, I'd also be able to drive any other car as long as it's insured