PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Blames 15-Year-Old Victim For Sexual Abuse That Happened While She Was A Patient

Teh One Who Knocks
05-01-2014, 11:16 AM
By Dominic Kelly - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/eh8TUbn.jpg

A 15-year-old girl was allegedly sexually molested in a Florida hospital, and now the hospital says that it was the victim’s fault.

According to reports, the teenager was being treated at Highlands Regional Medical Center for a serious infection, and on the day the molestation occurred in July 2012 she was in the ICU. The girl’s mother, who happens to be the chief nursing officer at the hospital and is referred to only as Michelle, said that she informed the nurses that her daughter’s 16-year-old boyfriend Jesse Maness was not allowed in the room.

"I said under no circumstances is this person allowed in, he was trouble," said Michelle.

The morning after the incident, nurses told Michelle that Maness had been allowed into the room after all, and that they had caught the two in bed together two different times.

The 15-year-old was reportedly heavily sedated when her boyfriend came in and sexually abused her, and it was days later that Michelle found out the two had actually had intercourse.

"She [the nurse] said I don't know how to tell you this, I hope it's nothing, but I found this on the floor in your daughter's room, and it was an open condom wrapper," said Michelle.

In the two years since the incident, Maness fully admitted to what happened with the teen, and he was rightfully charged and sentenced.

“Prosecutors charged Maness as a juvenile with lewd and lascivious behavior with a minor and molestation of a child, both felonies,” reports WFLA. “Even if Jenny had let it happen, a 15 year old cannot legally consent to sex. According to a letter from a prosecutor, Maness was adjudicated delinquent, placed on probation, ordered to complete 20 hours of community service, have no contact with the victim, write a letter of apology to the victim, attend school full time with no unexcused absences or referrals. Sex offender treatment was also ordered.”

Michelle decided to file a lawsuit against the hospital for allowing Maness in the room against her wishes, but now the hospital has fired back, saying they are not responsible for what happened to the teenager.

"The internal investigation did not identify any objective evidence to support allegations of abuse during your daughter's hospitalization,” said Highlands Regional Hospital Director of Risk Lynn Grace in a letter to Michelle.

"I think people should know when there is a company or a hospital that can't be trusted, doesn't care about taking care of people and even when they do find out that something like this has happened, and it is so alarming, they choose to do nothing about it," said Michelle to WFLA. “You know, why did they let him in? Why did they let him in and close the door? Why did they find him in the bed and yet let it happen again? How long was he allowed in there?"

Now that Michelle’s story has been made public, people around the world seem to be asking the same questions.

RBP
05-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I hope the family wins. I have always found the lack of security and rare patient checks at hospitals to be appalling.