PDA

View Full Version : California Sen. Introduces new bill to test out...

Acid Trip
05-06-2014, 03:26 PM
:haha: This is what you hippies get for buying fuel efficient cars!

California Senator Introduces new bill to test out taxing motorists for every mile they drive.

BUENA PARK (CBSLA.com) — The California Legislature is looking at a voluntary program that would tax motorists for every mile they drive.

KCAL9’s Bobby Kaple reports that Sen. Mark DeSaulnier, D-Concord, introduced a bill to test out the vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax because the state’s gas tax was no longer bringing in the revenue it used to due to people driving more fuel efficient vehicles.

The program is modeled after ones in Oregon and Washington.

“We want to do as Washington and Oregon have done in a much bigger state with much longer commutes…to make sure that we find out whether it would work, whether the public would like it or not,” DeSaulnier said.

It’s unknown how much the tax would be, but Oregon currently charges its volunteers 1.5 cents per mile.

“All of those things would be determined. We would let the agency determine that because this would be a voluntary program,” DeSaulnier said.

Southland commuters were not thrilled about the idea of a VMT tax.

“I bought a hybrid…one, because of my drive. I’m very opposed. I drive to Brentwood every day from Burbank, and I am already paying more than I should be,” Carmen Smith said.

“So if we go on vacation and I drive up to Mammoth, that’s 600 miles. We’re being taxed on vacations?” Kim Robinson said.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-06-2014, 04:56 PM
:fu:

DemonGeminiX
05-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Arizona, Porky.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-06-2014, 05:59 PM
It will only cost me around 3000 a year in new tax, just for my work commute :dance:

Muddy
05-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Just $3000? What a bargain! :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-06-2014, 06:10 PM
They are angry that they got everyone in electric cars and hybrids so that cant steal from us for buying gas, since getting my volt a rarely use gas, so in a sense not paying the road tax at all. They clearly didnt think it through ahead of time :)

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2014, 06:11 PM
They are angry that they got everyone in electric cars and hybrids so that cant steal from us for buying gas, since getting my volt a rarely use gas, so in a sense not paying the road tax at all. They clearly didnt think it through ahead of time :)

Plus the fact that they keep pushing for better fuel efficiency in vehicles, so even people without hybrids/electrics are buying less gas now than they used to.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Yeah, so essentially you were paying buy the mile because the gas was taxed, but now the cars are so efficient they are losing money.

Muddy
05-06-2014, 06:28 PM
What a fuggin sham... You cant win for losing..

DemonGeminiX
05-06-2014, 06:31 PM
... Arizona...

Muddy
05-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Why do you keep saying that?

DemonGeminiX
05-06-2014, 06:40 PM
If I recall correctly, Porky stated a while back that he had some property in Arizona. I keep telling him that he needs to move there before the big one hits and Cali falls into the ocean. Or at least I was just teasing him about it, until we've been getting all these stories regarding the bullshit moves Cali politicians keep pulling.

Now I'm not teasing anymore. He just needs to move.

perrhaps
05-06-2014, 06:48 PM

It’s unknown how much the tax would be, but Oregon currently charges its volunteers 1.5 cents per mile.

All of those things would be determined. We would let the agency determine that because this would be a voluntary program,” DeSaulnier said.

People in Oregon are stupid enough to volunteer to pay more taxes?

FBD
05-06-2014, 06:51 PM
the worst part is these guy simply treat "taxes" as "revenue" and go about ways to generate more revenue for their corporation.

instead of seeing this as a tax an incentive thing....now they are saying we've already incentivized you in the direction we want, now we're going back after that tax revenue we "lost" due to incentivizing you to change your behavior.

why change your behavior in the first place, the subsidies are all bought and paid for by everyone.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2014, 06:54 PM

All of those things would be determined. We would let the agency determine that because this would be a voluntary program,” DeSaulnier said.

Exactly what I thought when I read the story...but then again, most people that drive hybrids/electrics are tree hugging hippie liberals that love paying taxes.

perrhaps
05-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Exactly what I thought when I read the story...but then again, most people that drive hybrids/electrics are tree hugging hippie liberals that love paying taxes.

Excluding Porky, who's a male chauvinist pig; albeit one who's a gift to the women of this world.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Excluding Porky, who's a male chauvinist pig; albeit one who's a gift to the women of this world.

That's why I said most, and not all ;)

PorkChopSandwiches
05-06-2014, 07:34 PM

:rofl:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
That's why I said most, and not all ;)

I was raised by tree hugging hippies though.

FBD
05-06-2014, 08:17 PM
hence the reason you're not a tree hugging hippie :lol:

Muddy
05-06-2014, 08:29 PM
hence the reason you're not a tree hugging hippie :lol:

:lol: yeah.......

Acid Trip
05-06-2014, 09:57 PM

The program in Oregon is voluntary because it is still in the testing phase.

People record how many miles they drive and submit it so the government can better estimate how much revenue it would bring in as a law.