PDA

View Full Version : Florida teen graduates from high school and college in same week

Teh One Who Knocks
05-07-2014, 10:20 AM
By Mike Krumboltz, Yahoo News

http://i.imgur.com/GqVVCFn.png

Graduating from high school at 16 is impressive enough. But managing to get your college degree before you even graduate high school? Astounding.

Grace Bush is clearly a rare talent, both intelligent and incredibly hard working. The Florida teen recently earned her bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Florida Atlantic University. Later this week, she'll get her high school diploma from Florida Atlantic University High School.

So how does somebody graduate from college before high school?

Grace participated in Florida Atlantic University's dual enrollment program, which allows gifted high school students to earn college credit for the same courses. Students (and parents, who may foot the bill) save both time and money.

Grace admits that the order in which she is getting her diplomas is a little wacky. "It's kind of weird that I graduated college before high school," she told CBS Miami.

Grace, who is one of nine children, began her college career at 13 and studied through the summers in order to graduate early. She also participates in two orchestras, where she plays the flute.

Now that you feel like a total slacker, more about Grace.

Her mother, Gisla Bush, told CBS Miami that she home-schooled all of her kids (somebody buy this woman something nice for Mother's Day). Grace showed her talents for picking things up quickly from an early age, according to her mom.

"At 2 years old, she was already reading, and I was totally shocked," she said.

Up next for Grace: a master's degree followed by law school. She said she'd eventually like to be chief justice of the United States.

Watch your back, John Roberts.

redred
05-07-2014, 10:30 AM
:tup: good for her ,should be made a role model rather than the shitty little pop stars we all read about every day

KevinD
05-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Awesome!

FBD
05-07-2014, 02:06 PM
home school FTW...you will never, ever, ever, EVER get this outcome from the public school system (and the majority of private ones too.)

Muddy
05-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Nice work, Girly!

home school FTW...you will never, ever, ever, EVER get this outcome from the public school system (and the majority of private ones too.)

I disagree. This may be true where you live, but not where I do.

You are either have a gift, yearning to learn, or you don't.

Don't think for one minute the public schools in my area arent aware of every child's aptitude and are not ready to challenge every single one of these kids.

You can be a slack ass in the system if you just want to get by.. But if you don't they thrive on over achieving.

FBD
05-07-2014, 05:25 PM
there's a difference between yearning to learn and being able to go lightspeed faster than a clumsy backward system designed around the lowest common denominator will allow for. the only kids you ever see graduate high school, enter college, or graduate college at 16 are almost entirely home schooled and have parents willing to teach their kid rigorously but fun enough to the kid can see usefulness in what they are doing. I dont know what spiffy sort of public schools you got down there, but the urinals must gleam if they are able to produce one or more kids like this through the system of schooling. :D

Around here the system is designed to make you see all of the benefits of slacking, because drones only need to learn so much so fast, and if you're smart you see all the ways you can skirt by this useless shit that nobody ever makes sense of or can ever really give you a good reason why you're learning it. Its just learn it because that's what you're supposed to do, backed by appeal to authority (quote from more kids than I wish were true.)

DemonGeminiX
05-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Looks to me that the article said she went to high school. No home schooling involved.

:-k

FBD
05-07-2014, 05:30 PM
:-k

Her mother, Gisla Bush, told CBS Miami that she home-schooled all of her kids (somebody buy this woman something nice for Mother's Day). Grace showed her talents for picking things up quickly from an early age, according to her mom.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-07-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm guessing it was one of those online high schools that are starting to pop up. They advertise them here in Colorado.

Muddy
05-07-2014, 05:40 PM
there's a difference between yearning to learn and being able to go lightspeed faster than a clumsy backward system designed around the lowest common denominator will allow for.

You can go lightspeed faster if you are capable.. The clumsy dumsy part of the system is just for the money grab.

DemonGeminiX
05-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm guessing it was one of those online high schools that are starting to pop up. They advertise them here in Colorado.

It's a physical place in Boca Raton.

http://www.fauhigh.fau.edu/

http://fauhigh.fau.edu/aboutus/

Our school is unique in the way that students spend their 9th grade year in a typical high school classroom setting, taking advanced coursework. This prepares them for Grades 10-12 where all classes are collegiate classes taken at the University for both high school and college credit. Typically, when students graduate from FAU HS, they have also earned three years worth of college credits. Some have even received their Bachelor Degree!

And she may have been home schooled early on, but there's no way she's home schooled getting this degree/diploma. Apparently, you have to attend classes here.

Now they're not affiliated with the local school district so they may be doing something right that school districts all over need to take notes on...

Hal-9000
05-07-2014, 06:25 PM
if she could read at two, home schooling or not wasn't an issue...she was already gifted or had an early aptitude

good for her and I agree with Red's post :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
05-07-2014, 06:27 PM
We agree with Red's post too. That's why we hit the thanks button.

:nana:

Hal-9000
05-07-2014, 06:47 PM
The agreement should be in text [-(

DemonGeminiX
05-07-2014, 08:14 PM
:-s

It is in text. It says right underneath the post who thanked him for the post... in text.

Acid Trip
05-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Criminal Justice isn't exactly a brain buster of a degree.

Hal-9000
05-07-2014, 08:51 PM

It is in text. It says right underneath the post who thanked him for the post... in text.

thank this :beatdown:

and quit harassing me, Twitter Generation! :x

DemonGeminiX
05-07-2014, 10:04 PM
thank this :beatdown:

and quit harassing me, Twitter Generation! :x

:poke:

deebakes
05-08-2014, 02:01 AM
good job, now don't go get on the pole :clap:

Godfather
05-08-2014, 02:16 AM
Criminal Justice isn't exactly a brain buster of a degree.

:lol: 'Criminal justice' degrees are a community college cash grab.... thankfully it looks like just a stepping stone to a masters and law school for her though. Good story, sounds like a hard working girl.

A girl who grew up on my street was one of these kids. Went to the University of British Columbia at 13 for a joint High School and University transition program designed for kids beyond the 99th percentile in testing. I think she had her MSc before 20. Socially she was a nightmare though, completely inappropriate in a lot of ways. At first impression, you would struggle know if she was a genius or mentally handicapped. She's off trying to cure cancer now, doing stem cell and biotechnology research.

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 05:19 AM

Is she hot?

deebakes
05-08-2014, 01:08 PM
she's in the minor leagues now, but might be showing promise :obama:

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I was talking about Godfather's friend.

minz
05-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Well done to Grace, my nephew is taking his GCSE Maths this year, he's 12 brainy little shit he is. :lol:

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Maths...you Brits kill me :lol:

how's he doing in spellings and writings?

Lambchop
05-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Maths...you Brits kill me :lol:

how's he doing in spellings and writings?

Don't they teach mathematics over there? :(

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:14 PM
yeah but we abbreviate it and say math :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 10:38 PM

THANK YOU!

Sincerely,

the forum's resident Mathematician.

Lambchop
05-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Sounds dangerous. I'll send the Queen over shortly to keep you in line.

:crumpet smash:

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:45 PM
I suppose there's different types of mathematics and categories....but then again the same thing occurs in science, biology and chemistry and we don't say - biologies, chemistries...but we do say physics :-s

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Before anybody asks, it's an English muffin.

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Sounds dangerous. I'll send the Queen over shortly to keep you in line.

:crumpet smash:

Liz? Please don't...I got in trouble that one time she visited and I allegedly touched her..

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 10:47 PM
I suppose there's different types of mathematics and categories....but then again the same thing occurs in science, biology and chemistry and we don't say - biologies, chemistries...but we do say physics :-s

Physics isn't short for anything.

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Physics isn't short for anything.

yes....but the moniker denotes plural..............................

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:50 PM
which may be what is confusing our British brethren when they say maths.............

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:51 PM
interesting....algebra means reunion of broken parts, from Arabic

algebras?

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:52 PM
them single celled organisms sure have big tits...they need some algebras :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 10:53 PM
:lol:

You're thinking too much.

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:55 PM
got some time to kill and it's been a hectic day :lol:

Lambchop
05-08-2014, 10:57 PM
My sister is studying to be an astrophysicist like those nerds in the Big Bang Theory, only with perky tits and a tight ass.

She's so weird. The other girls buy designer clothes and like shopping, she's just happy with a big ass £600 telescope

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 10:59 PM
My sister is studying to be an astrophysicist like those nerds in the Big Bang Theory, only with perky tits and a tight ass.

She's so weird. The other girls buy designer clothes and like shopping, she's just happy with a big ass £600 telescope

Please, make yourself comfortable on ze couch and tell us more http://i59.tinypic.com/34436mg.jpg

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 10:59 PM
yes....but the moniker denotes plural..............................

Not really. The argument isn't whether mathematics is single or plural, the argument is what is the conventional abbreviation. I grew up with saying math, my brother grew up with saying math, my father grew up with saying math, my mother's uncles grew up with saying math... as far as I know, everybody in the Western Hemisphere grew up with calling mathematics 'math', all the way up until some smartass millennial over in the Eastern hemisphere decided to start calling it 'maths' to piss the rest of us off. Maths is wrong, it's always been wrong, and I don't give a damn what Thom Yorke said in Karma Police, it's "math".

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 11:00 PM

Is she pretty? I like smart girls.

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Not really. The argument isn't whether mathematics is single or plural, the argument is what is the conventional abbreviation. I grew up with saying math, my brother grew up with saying math, my father grew up with saying math, my mother's uncles grew up with saying math... as far as I know, everybody in the Western Hemisphere grew up with calling mathematics 'math', all the way up until some smartass millennial over in the Eastern hemisphere decided to start calling it 'maths' to piss the rest of us off. Maths is wrong, it's always been wrong, and I don't give a damn what Thom Yorke said in Karma Police, it's "math".

it was a comparative analysis featuring other subject names....I know what you are saying and said :x

now leave me alone, quit trying to be my teacher and I didn't fckn watch Arrow again this week, so nyeah

:lol: that came out a little more forceful than needed...yes I agree with the math thing

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 11:04 PM
so today I learned that the word algebra is Arabic in nature and that LC's sister has a tight ass

good day :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Believe it or not, our representation of numbers is Arabic in nature. Math came from the Greeks but passed through the Persian Empire after the Persians conquered the Greeks. The Arabs contributed a lot to the development of modern mathematics, before they became psychotic nuts hell bent on jihad.

Hal-9000
05-08-2014, 11:09 PM
I always thought math was pure Greek in origin, cool...thanks.

*3 things today :cheerlead:

DemonGeminiX
05-08-2014, 11:20 PM
They had mathematical systems back in ancient Sumer, before the Greeks. Our earliest discovered records prove it.

Muddy
05-09-2014, 12:45 AM
Believe it or not, our representation of numbers is Arabic in nature. Math came from the Greeks but passed through the Persian Empire after the Persians conquered the Greeks. The Arabs contributed a lot to the development of modern mathematics, before they became psychotic nuts hell bent on jihad.

They're smart mother fuckers.. It's a shame their lives got dominated by religion..

Lambchop
05-09-2014, 01:03 AM
& also that Israel has it in for them :'(

The Arabs I know are so generous and easy going. They come here in the summer to let their hair down (quite literally in some of the females' cases).

Muddy
05-09-2014, 01:48 AM
"They" are us.. We're the same.. Human.. Its all the influence in your life that molds you...

Muddy
05-09-2014, 01:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Sjm6Tsfgc&sns=em Sent from my iPad

Godfather
05-09-2014, 02:53 AM

Is she hot?

No :lol: 2/10