PDA

View Full Version : Apple to aquire Beats by Dre for $3.2 billion

Godfather
05-09-2014, 03:04 AM
Apple in talks to acquire Beats for $3.2 billion

http://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2014/01/27/101368193-Apple_behind_fence.530x298.jpg?v=1390885189

According to Financial Times Apple is in talks to acquire headphone maker Beats for $3.2 billion. CNBC's Seema Mody reports.

Apple is closing in on its largest ever acquisition with the planned $3.2 billion purchase of Beats Electronics, the headphone maker and music streaming operator founded by music producer Jimmy Iovine and the hip-hop star Dr Dre.

The deal could be announced as early as next week, people familiar with the negotiations said, but they cautioned that some details had yet to be agreed and talks could still fall apart.

A deal of this scale would represent a radical departure for Tim Cook, chief executive of the iPhone maker: under the late Steve Jobs, Apple was reluctant to pursue high-profile acquisitions.

Apple will acquire Beats' streaming music service, which launched this year, and its audio equipment business, which includes its brand of headphones and audio equipment. The Beats management team will report to Mr Cook, said people familiar with the deal. Apple and Beats declined to comment.

A decade after Mr Jobs transformed the music industry with the iTunes download store and the iPod digital music player, the deal is likely to be seen as an admission that Apple needs to look outside its Cupertino labs to continue making an impact.

While Beats commands a leading position in the premium headphone market, its real value to Apple is in revitalising its "cool" at a time when iTunes has waned in popularity and Samsung's marketing campaigns have savaged the iPhone's brand.

Apple executives have admitted that its brand is in need of a revamp. Internal emails released during its recent patent trial with Samsung showed that its marketing chief Phil Schiller considered changing Apple's ad agency after the success of its Korean rival's "next big thing" campaign.

Apple is paying a hefty premium for cool: Beats took a $500m investment from Carlyle in September 2013 that valued the company at more than $1 billion. "In terms of acquisitions, Apple has been very, very light in their activity," said Richard Lane, analyst at Moody's. "I don't think they've spent $1 billion in any of the last four years."

Mr Cook said last month Apple was "on the prowl" for more acquisitions, after buying 24 companies in the past 18 months and he was not averse to large acquisitions.

The Beats move follows a string of high-priced deals in Silicon Valley, after Google acquired smart home developer Nest Labs for $3.2 billion and Facebook offered an initial $19 billion for WhatsApp Messenger.

One motivation for the Beats deal may lie in shifts in music consumption. Subscription services are the biggest growth area for the music industry, with revenues increasing 50 percent to $1.1 billion in 2013, according to a recent report by the IFPI, the global music industry association.

But downloads fell 2 percent to $3.93 billion – the first annual decline since Apple launched its iTunes store in 2003. iTunes is still the world's largest music download service.

Apple has dabbled in music streaming but never launched an unlimited subscription service to compete with fast-growing rivals to iTunes such as Spotify.

In 2009 it acquired Lala, a music streaming service, and last year launched iTunes Radio, which competes with elements of Beats, as well as more established players such as Pandora.

Mr Iovine and Dr Dre – real name Andre Young – were inspired to create Beats by the poor sound quality of the headphones bundled with the iPod and iPhone. Beloved by music and sports stars Beats has become a street-smart fashion brand

Ahead of Apple's expected launch of an 'iWatch' accessory, Beats will also give its designers and engineers access to years of experience in what some see as the original "wearable technology."

Nonetheless, the pricey deal is likely to raise questions about Apple's internal capability to innovate after the death of Mr Jobs in 2011.

At the end of March, Apple's global cash pile stood at $133 billion, net of the $17 billion in debt it raised last year. Since then it has raised a further $12 billion, which it said at the time was to help fund its $130 billion dividend and share buyback programme. However, most of its funds are held overseas and its domestic cash has fallen by $16 billion to $18 billion since it resumed paying dividends in 2012.

—By Matthew Garrahan and Tim Bradshaw of The Financial Times

Godfather
05-09-2014, 03:05 AM
This is great. The world's most overpriced and overrated smartphone and computer manufacturer is acquiring the most overpriced and over-hyped headphone manufacturer. Now you can avoid both at the same time :lol:

deebakes
05-09-2014, 03:06 AM
:facepalm:

another piece of overpriced equipment for fuckin' hipsters :(

sometimes i hate that i am tethered to apple products :lol:

deebakes
05-09-2014, 03:06 AM
i was thinking about getting some beats until i actually heard the sound quality coming out of them and realized they were shit :lol:

Godfather
05-09-2014, 03:16 AM
i was thinking about getting some beats until i actually heard the sound quality coming out of them and realized they were shit :lol:

Same. Now it's just an easy way to spot stupid kids with parents who bought them $250 cans. There are many great alternatives in the price ranges of all the Beats models.

deebakes
05-09-2014, 03:18 AM
i picked up some klipsch ear buds for like $25 that i am extremely happy with :shrug:

Godfather
05-09-2014, 03:19 AM
There ya go :lol:

RBP
05-09-2014, 03:27 AM
Every time I see Beats I say, "who the fuck pays that?"

Not to mention that it's usually attached to a phone or a laptop. Sorry, that's not high end sound equipment that needs ridiculous headphones. 999/1000 couldn't hear the difference with headphones costing 80% less.

Godfather
05-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Every time I see Beats I say, "who the fuck pays that?"

Not to mention that it's usually attached to a phone or a laptop. Sorry, that's not high end sound equipment that needs ridiculous headphones. 999/1000 couldn't hear the difference with headphones costing 80% less.

Exactly... unless you shell out for a portable headphone amp for your smartphone which most people don't know is a thing. Not to mention most people (myself included) just stream or rip music online, meaning it's pretty average quality already.

Noilly Pratt
05-09-2014, 04:45 AM

Yeah, me too. Ended up buying some nice Sony ones for less than half the price of Dre's crap.

Lambchop
05-09-2014, 04:57 AM
I think Dr Dre is talented with his music but I've never tried the headphones.

deebakes
05-09-2014, 04:58 AM
i think dr dre was great in nwa and it has been a constant downhill slide since :idk:

Godfather
05-09-2014, 05:05 AM
I think Dr Dre is talented with his music but I've never tried the headphones.

I agree, and I think it's hilarious that a rapper from Compton is now the part owner of a company selling to Apple for $3.2 billion :lol: Honestly, good for him. I wonder what his cut is.

deebakes
05-09-2014, 05:07 AM
he probably gets 9 figures :shrug:

Godfather
05-09-2014, 05:23 AM
Ya eh... it's a small company with only 300 employees (I guess they just outsource absolutely everything) so they're all probably laughing right now.

Lambchop
05-09-2014, 05:23 AM
He just offered $50 million to buy this home in Brentwood.

http://i62.tinypic.com/fu9cw3.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2621742/Dr-Dre-makes-offer-Gisele-Bundchen-Tom-Brady-50-million-fortress-mansion-tells-furniture.html

Damn Dre

redred
05-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Wonder when dre last went to the hood :lol:

deebakes
05-09-2014, 12:47 PM
http://i62.tinypic.com/ekfdvt.gif

Muddy
05-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Fuggin Dre'.. Made it big... wow!

i picked up some klipsch ear buds for like $25 that i am extremely happy with :shrug:

oooh.. Im interested... I love Klipsch.

Lambchop
05-09-2014, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2e5ZibypDk

FBD
05-09-2014, 04:28 PM
I got a pair of beats headphones (earbuds) with my htc. I think they are better than most run of the mill crap (sorry....I laughed when I read klipsch) ...and correct, half the shit you download out there is encoded by an audio raping machine, so anything on youtube that doesnt say hd, anything on facefuck, etc...all encoded with garbage.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2014, 05:31 PM
My htc1 came with beats preinstalled

redred
05-09-2014, 05:33 PM
throw it away , it's rubbish may as well black out the htc logo and put an apple on instead :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2014, 05:35 PM
The speakers sound fine to me, I wouldn't spend $100 + on any headphones though

Hal-9000
05-09-2014, 05:56 PM
3 billion....

that's 3000, millions

:wank:

FBD
05-09-2014, 07:01 PM
The speakers sound fine to me, I would spend $100 + on any headphones though

my beyer dynamic dt770s disagree :tup: well worth....however the hell much my dad spent on 'em :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2014, 07:40 PM
my beyer dynamic dt770s disagree :tup: well worth....however the hell much my dad spent on 'em :lol:

I meant to say wouldn't spend that much. I know you can get quality sound, I just dont care enough. When I use headphones its typically when Im running. Earbuds are fine.

My son on the other hand has spent his hard earned money on some expensive headphones. But, he earned the money so I guess he can do what he wants with it...to a point

Hal-9000
05-09-2014, 08:41 PM
I was looking for PC headphones a few months ago...tried some Beats and only heard pounding bass...didn't know how they'd do for movies and TV, great for music...

so I bought some cheapo Sennheisers

redred
05-09-2014, 09:20 PM
I meant to say wouldn't spend that much.

the ones muddy told me about for my phone ( skull candy buds ) are great for what i use them for crisp and clear but with good bass , for the price ( £10 )can't beat them

Acid Trip
05-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Fuck ear phones/buds. I like to feel my chest cave in when the bass hits. Anything less is just a disappointment.

redred
05-09-2014, 09:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HkVEAfz.jpg

Lambchop
05-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Pan lids by Dr Cray?

FBD
05-10-2014, 04:17 PM
I meant to say wouldn't spend that much. I know you can get quality sound, I just dont care enough. When I use headphones its typically when Im running. Earbuds are fine.

My son on the other hand has spent his hard earned money on some expensive headphones. But, he earned the money so I guess he can do what he wants with it...to a point

true...those headphones I used as an additional source to run past me ears for mixing...

Noilly Pratt
05-10-2014, 07:47 PM
I think it'd be smart idea to invest in Hearing Aid stocks... I have horrible hearing from listening to rock music and playing in a band*

*actually a bunch of guys with little talent and loud amps! :)

I have tinnitus in my left ear, which is made worse when I listen to live music. And I love to listen to live music :(

Hugh_Janus
05-11-2014, 07:30 AM
I was looking for PC headphones a few months ago...tried some Beats and only heard pounding bass...didn't know how they'd do for movies and TV, great for music...

so I bought some cheapo Sennheisers

that's what I did. Quite impressed with mine too..... £30 well spent

Acid Trip
05-12-2014, 03:32 PM
I think it'd be smart idea to invest in Hearing Aid stocks... I have horrible hearing from listening to rock music and playing in a band*

*actually a bunch of guys with little talent and loud amps! :)

I have tinnitus in my left ear, which is made worse when I listen to live music. And I love to listen to live music :(

Hearing aid stocks are a good idea. I have 50% loss in one ear and 10% loss in the other. The ranges I can't hear are all high pitches.