PDA

View Full Version : Heterosexual men should get same parental leave benefits as mothers and gay fathers, B.C. man says

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Sarah Boesveld - National Post

http://i.imgur.com/dIjZA0p.jpg

A British Columbia man has claimed a parental leave benefits policy, designed to be inclusive to same-sex parents, discriminates against him because he is a heterosexual father.

Alexander Angus filed a human rights complaint against his employer, the City of Victoria, and the Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 50 over his eligibility for Supplementary Employment Insurance Benefits, meant to top-up federal maternity leave benefits.

The union’s collective agreement at the time had a clause saying that in the case of same-sex couples, if the employee is the primary caregiver, that employee would be deemed the mother and qualify for the top-up.

Mr. Angus, who planned to be the primary caregiver of their future firstborn child, read that as a “blatant show of inequality,” according to documents filed with the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal.

“My understanding of this is that I am not eligible for SEIB because of a) my gender, and b) my sexual orientation,” he wrote in an email to the city’s director of human resources in December of 2010. “Because I am male I do not qualify for these benefits, although if I were to marry another male I would?”

The HR director responded that she did not “believe there is an inequity as a male cannot give birth.”

Mr. Angus wrote to the union president. “I believe as an equal partner in parenting I should be offered the same benefit as a female co-worker.”

He was told that Local 50 would be tabling a proposal during collective bargaining to address any inequity that “may arguably exist,” president John Burrows wrote. The only other option would be to file a grievance once he applied for, and was denied, the benefit by the City of Victoria.

The union would not comment when the National Post sought clarification of whether the tabled proposal — which only officially became part of the new collective agreement in July 2013 — was in direct response to Mr. Angus’s complaint or had already been in the works.

The final word was that Mr. Angus, as that current collective agreement stood, would not qualify for the top-up, which he felt he would need in order to care for his future child.

The issue took on urgency when Mr. Angus’s wife became pregnant in September 2012. He never applied for the top-up because he was “discouraged,” he said, and “given to understand any attempt would be futile and pointless.”

Instead, he filed a complaint with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal in which he claimed to have suffered adverse treatment because he didn’t qualify for the SEIB top-up at the time his child was born and his wife was required to leave her job when the baby arrived. It cost his family in wages and work experience, he said, as his wife had a temporary acting senior management position at the time.

“Mr. Angus submits the Union and the City have shown their guilt by acting swiftly to amend the collective agreement once he brought his Complaint to the Tribunal,” the complaint reads. The union said there was no basis for Mr. Angus’s allegation that CUPE Local 50 and the City dragged their heels. The allegation that he could have been entitled to the top-up if he was in a same-sex relationship is “speculative and ignores the advice of the union,” the union’s reply reads.

It’s irrelevant that Mr. Angus was not actually denied the SEIB top-up, tribunal member Robert Blasina wrote in his decision, released May 1. It’s the policy itself that could possibly be considered discriminatory.

The tribunal denied the city and union’s applications to dismiss the complaint, and instead encouraged both parties to accept mediation.

Mr. Angus was not available for comment Wednesday.

Noilly Pratt
05-09-2014, 02:57 PM
In BC provincial government, we got a "pool" of 12 months off that either spouse can take. When my daughter was born, my wife took 11 months off, and I took 1 month. My union (BCGEU, not CUPE) topped off my wage.

Surprised they don't have something similar...

RBP
05-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Why is the government paying at all?

DemonGeminiX
05-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Because it's Canada, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_CNfe0VUsA

Acid Trip
05-09-2014, 03:49 PM
A whole year off just for having a baby?! Wow! My wife got 8 weeks and I got 2.

Noilly Pratt
05-09-2014, 03:57 PM
I now do Gov't contract work, but I still have the benefits. I get paid less, but the benefits outweigh the decrease in pay.

Hal-9000
05-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Why is the government paying at all?

In our province (right beside Noilly) it's not the company or insurance or a union that pays maternity benefits...the woman has to go on EI, which is employment insurance.

Same system I would use if I was laid off from my job or fired without cause.

Back in the old days it was called UI (unemployment insurance) and it was easier to get. You could quit, get fired etc apply and get about 6 months wages at about 60%.

So now our pregnant women pretty much quit their job, and then go on EI..,most times it's agreed the person will have the same job to go back to after being on EI.

Hal-9000
05-09-2014, 09:34 PM
oh and EI is a government deduction that pretty much all workers pay from their paychecks...whether you use it or not throughout your life.

I for example, have never claimed UI or EI since I started working at 14..

Noilly Pratt
05-09-2014, 10:19 PM
You're right Hal...EI is the body that gives maternity benefits. The top-up to full pay is just for my union. And like you I've been paying in since the 80's and I haven't used it until the maternity thing.

Funny story - my dad was laid off and had to go on EI (UI in the old days) for maybe 8 weeks. When he found work he received one last cheque for a week that he actually worked. He went down and gave the cheque back to the clerk and she had this "does not compute" look on her face. "Nobody's ever done that - I don't know what to do". And after about half an hour of sending it up the authority chain, they said "it'd cause more trouble to reverse...here!" And handed him the cheque back.

redred
05-09-2014, 10:31 PM
i think it was sweden or norway but there dads have some good deals on parenting, some many parents rush or are forced to rush back to work that they don't enjoy watching their kids grow up and teachering or playing with them their selfs , as most of you know quit work to bring up my girl with out funding and for us it's been great we've walked miles and read loads learning as much as we could along the way

Hal-9000
05-09-2014, 10:39 PM
You're right Hal...EI is the body that gives maternity benefits. The top-up to full pay is just for my union. And like you I've been paying in since the 80's and I haven't used it until the maternity thing.

Funny story - my dad was laid off and had to go on EI (UI in the old days) for maybe 8 weeks. When he found work he received one last cheque for a week that he actually worked. He went down and gave the cheque back to the clerk and she had this "does not compute" look on her face. "Nobody's ever done that - I don't know what to do". And after about half an hour of sending it up the authority chain, they said "it'd cause more trouble to reverse...here!" And handed him the cheque back.

My Dad worked for decades, then his last company folded because of bad management...so at something like 61 he has to go on UI....years previous to this anyone could get UI without much of a hassle. They totally task him with proving that he's been actively looking for jobs..

:lol: I shouldn't laugh but the government pretty much gave anyone 6 months pay without them ever trying to find employment, yet my Dad gets put under the microscope after toiling for over 40 years in the workforce